Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The many retcons of Victor Lord

As very little exists in terms of episodes of the original version of Victor it is hard to see what the character was originally like. I've read the synopsis given of him in the anniversary book as well as watched the little that does still exists. He seems like a stern old money business man. He loved his daughters but was resentful that he never got the chance to raise a son. Which is why Victoria was his "namesake" child and he raised as if she were a boy until puberty and hormones set in. This was of course in the golden age of the New York soap and Agnes Nixon's original vision (even after she left) in which OLTL had some of the best of the best in terms of New York stage actors and had a 1940's Hollywood vibe.

Enter Tina Clayton... A very popular character (especially during the original actress, Andrea Evans time in the role) and the writers decide to make her godmother/ foster mother/ care giver into her sister in order to make gold digging Tina an heiress. (Note: I'm a huge Tina fan and love 80's OLTL, it was in a class of its own). This came with the retcon that Victor was having an affair with his daughter's best friend. While this was shocking it's also not a crazy concept when we consider the fact that both Victor and Eugenia both cheated on one another as Merri was not actually Victor's daughter and Victor's first son was with Eugenia's sister.

Then came the dark but well-written 90's. At this point we find out that Viki's deep love and admiration of her father came from a dark place. Her DID was not a result of seeing her father push her mother down the stairs. It was because he had been molesting her throughout her childhood into her adult life. We then learn that Victor had another secret son and that his affair/ marriage to Irene lasted much longer than anyone thought.

Finally, the 2003 SL. Which has been ambiguously retconned itself as this version of Victor not actually being Victor. Which I think I prefer to be the case. As much as the character was already written to be a monster at this point having him team up with Mitch Lawrence was just taking things a step too far. As well as how he chose to treat Viki and Todd at this point. As the character who desperately wanted a son would not have been so cold towards him. Not that anyone would want to see the two getting along based on both Todd's past and Victor's new past.

For people that watched from the beginning or at least remember Victor being a regular did you like the new history given to him in later years? ES in recent years seems to acknowledge that the writing was incredible during the 90's retcon but also seems to cast a notion that she was not a fan of the twist they took with the character. Agnes Nixon approved of the retcon herself however she really had little to do with the show after the first few years.

I saw very little of the interaction between Viki and Victor and as such was ok with the storylines that introduced Todd and Tina along with the abuse storyline. I do not recall the source but I recall reading somewhere it was implied that the relationship between Viki and Victor wasn't the typical father/daughter relationship and that something else had happened.

Victor was actually only alive for a brief portion of OLTL's history but he was a big part of storylines for decades afterwards.

I was not a fan of the Victor return in 2003 (retconned a few years later by Dorian who told Viki in Asa's wine cellar "if it was him"). The 1995 storyline eliminated Victor as a viable on-canvas character and Viki had already made peace with what Victor had done to her through therapy. The return appeared to be solely for shock value and he was gone as quickly as he came. Dorian also had no role in that storyline which didn't make sense considering her integral part of his history (inheriting his wealth, being his wife, taking his name, allegedly being the one who killed him etc).

Comment

I first started watching OLTL a few weeks before Victor Sr died so I didn’t see much of him.

Enjoyed near every Victor revelation though!

id never heard that Merri wasn’t Victor’s daughter.

Comment

• witchboy
        witchboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Merrie was the product of Eugenia's affair. I have an episode saved to a recording from the 80s where Dorian tells Dan that Victor told her he wasn't Merrie's real father.

• Amazee_Dayzee
        Amazee_Dayzee commented
        Editing a comment
        witchboy Victor only suspected that he wasn't Meredith's father. He never actually had any proof one way or the other. Besides Victor continued to love her as his daughter. Personally, I choose to believe that Meredith was his.

I didn't care for the half baked 2000s suggestion that it wasn't Victor who returned, because it was just thrown out there with no follow up. No exploration of who the man was, what he wanted...if he wasn't Victor then there was every chance if he had stolen Jessica's heart he'd have died since he wouldn't have been a guaranteed match.
      Plus, they had Dorian implying she'd killed Victor. If she had, she'd have been way better at keeping quiet about it!

Comment

The really odd thing was when Viki died on the operating table and went to heaven in 1987. She had a sweet reunion with Victor and her mother Eugenia (who had aged as if in real life, when she should have been the age that Viki remembered her when she had died, but I digress). Flash forward a few years and we learned what a monster Victor really was, which made this brief episode of a smiling, happy Victor and Victoria together in heaven really awkward.

Comment

• witchboy
          witchboy commented
          Editing a comment
          Mitch Lawrence was there too, and he also turned up alive.

I thought the Irene and Tina stuff was ok given that Dorian and Viki are the same age. What bothered me was how Dorian changed over the years. It stopped making sense. She would talk about how much she loved him, then she hated him. It was shown that she married him for money but they were also married for a long time by soap standards--13 months! And it was left up to viewer speculation as to whether she withheld medicine. But then 20 years later everyone was sensationalized about murder trials and they had him smothered by a pillow. And honestly I loved that story. But the pedophile thing was too much, but I guess it made sense to honor the DID stuff.

​​​​​​But as someone else said, they made no mention of Dorian when he came back to life until she came back with Mitch and they explained it away as she didn't want to live with him again in Llanfair, but it would seem to me that her interests were in jeopardy and it strains crudelity to think Viki wouldn't contact her. It was weird.

He was originally a great character and they destroyed him. But honestly had they just kept him the way he was we wouldn't be talking about him to this day LOL

Comment

• witchboy
          witchboy commented
          Editing a comment
          I assume that Dorian lied about loving Victor. It's absolutely the sort of thing she'd do. What else could she do? Admit she only married him for his money?

I watched almost every episode of OLTL from between 1968 and 1978. I kept up with the show as best as I could in the years that followed, including Viki's 1990's storylines. I was very disgusted that they had turned Victor into being the monster that he became in the DID storyline. Of course, this is the same show which kept Dorian on, despite her role in Victor's death.

Sure, soaps play with the ages of child roles so that they can become older for storyline reasons. People who seem to have died, come back from the dead. But anyone who watched the show back then knew the basis of the DID storyline was hogwash. Certainly, they could've come up with another explanation for why this kept happening to Viki.

Comment

• witchboy
          witchboy commented
          Editing a comment
          DID only happens to people with sever childhood abuse, usually sexual. A college age Viki catching her father having sex with her best friend was always a pathetic reason, although the story was still brilliantly acted and written for what it was. Someone had to be abusing Viki, and Victor made the most sense. I wasn't even born until after Victor died so I had no attachment to him. The 1995 DID story is one of my very favorite stories of all time.

• OLTL'69
          OLTL'69 commented
          Editing a comment
          They came up with other reasons for the DID . First was Viki seeing her father push her mom down the stairs to her death I was brand new to the soap when Viki was working with her therapist to remember this This story really grabbed me and I never liked Victor. He was controlling of both his daughters and I did not have trouble believing the abuse
          Later they came up with the seeing her best friend in bed with her dad as the reason for the DID
          Did they use seeing her young love "die" as Eterna went under as a reason for the DID. I could not watch all the time then. But that and hypnotism was why she did not remember giving birth to Megan.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
      Working...
      X