Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the 2006 -2011 era of OLTL

So thanks to a very kind watcher names PJ I have been watching OLTL on youtube starting with Michael and Marcy's wedding. I have so many questions and comments. I had watched OL for years but only really got interested when I saw Melissa Archer as Natalie. She is the reason I really started watching it so since I worked and had young kids back then I would tape and only watch her and Chris her and John and her Jared. Well since the pandemic and having more time I have been pretty much been watching whole episodes. Again thanks to PJ. MY first comment of many was Ron really was hit or miss. Somethings were so good and some not. I think the Marcie, Todd, Tommy story was really good. It involved so many characters and was a good way to introduce thee Bon Jour and all those characters. The actress who played Marcie was so good and really I hope won an Emmy for that story. I will stop at this for now but does anyone have any comments about that story.

Originally posted by Stanly View Post
    So thanks to a very kind watcher names PJ I have been watching OLTL on youtube starting with Michael and Marcy's wedding. I have so many questions and comments. I had watched OL for years but only really got interested when I saw Melissa Archer as Natalie. She is the reason I really started watching it so since I worked and had young kids back then I would tape and only watch her and Chris her and John and her Jared. Well since the pandemic and having more time I have been pretty much been watching whole episodes. Again thanks to PJ. MY first comment of many was Ron really was hit or miss. Somethings were so good and some not. I think the Marcie, Todd, Tommy story was really good. It involved so many characters and was a good way to introduce thee Bon Jour and all those characters. The actress who played Marcie was so good and really I hope won an Emmy for that story. I will stop at this for now but does anyone have any comments about that story.
    I too loved Marcie she really rocked that storyline. If it was not for Blair who too was a great and caring Mother (except in the Jack story I would have hit the brat a whole lot harder and dumped his butt into JV hall myself) I would have wanted Marcy to keep Tommy. Love Antonio, and Talia Bo and Nora, Chrtstian and Layla, David and Dorian, Matthew and Destiny and of course Vicky Nicky and Jean Randoff.. But like you said Ron did miss with some st ory lines for me as well.

Comment

Didn’t love it. Too many characters that we didn’t care about and didn’t like a lot of the stories...

hated Spencer, Paige.
      Killing Duke a mistake. Not into HT’s Kelly.
      Clint paired with Nora or Dorian was gross.
      Too much Jolie and John focus.
      Evangeline was done dirty. not a fan of her exit and wasted potential.
      the Todd/Blair and Starr/Cole drama was exhausting!
      Hated Rex and Gigi
      didn’t like Jess/Tess mess!!!
      Hated how Marty went crazy and character was ruined and that we never got her reunion with Patrick or scenes with RH Todd before exit.
      didn’t like the way the final months did bring back Max or correct Gabrielle’s senseless death. Strange having Gabby, Luna , and Megan angels and yet no Max!

some highlights -
      the finale!
      although dark and twisted liked Marty/Todd amnesia SL.
      asa’s death and the returns around it.
      anything to do with Lindsay
      loved Victor and Tea. Liked bonding of Blair and Tea.
      could have been better but liked RH return!!!
      loved Kish
      Clint and Kim pairing , his alliance with Lindsay could have been promising.
      liked Viki in Paris.
      loved Tina coming back and reuniting with Cord.
      Last edited by PANTISHA1; March 2, 2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• JaySherman
        JaySherman commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree Marty's departure could have been handled much better

Spencer, Paige, Duke's death and Evangaline's coma were Dena Higley's doing. Her death was Ron's and considering the show never recasted, it should have happened earlier instead of leaving fans hanging.

The Star/Cole storyline was popular apparently with the younger audience but I can see why older audiences could have had less of it.

Jess/Tess was originally done by Dena Higley however Ron didn't stop it and kept running with it. Not sure if he liked the story or if the TPTB told him to keep writing it because Bree Williamson allegedly wanted to do it (perhaps she found Jessica a bit of a bore)

If I recall correctly, the beginning portion of this era still involved Dena Higley's garbage. I know Ron took over sometime in '08? And while he had some really bad misses (I'll never forgive what he did to Marry), nothing he did sunk to the levels of Dena Higley. Her tenure was Guza levels of bad

Ron's last year or so was some of the best OLTL had been in a long time. The Two Todds story, while divisive, still remains one of my favorite stories.

Comment

• JaySherman
        JaySherman commented
        Editing a comment
        Dena Higley as I recall is the only writer that Erika Slezak specifically went to TPTB to complain about. I think her storylines and one from years ago written by Craig Carlson are the only ones Erika ever expressed public displeasure or criticism over.

Yes Ron had some misses - some were due to the TPTB and some may have sounded good on paper but just didn't work.

It would have been nice to see Victor and Todd have more time together.

In the end, Ron redeemed Ford (although he died in the process) and re-established Clint's paternity of Jessica keeping Natalie as his daughter as well. Those moves made many happy including myself.

Loathed Rex/Gigi and their pathetic son...really horrible storyline that should have never happened.

Comment

I really loved Marcie and so did most fans -- so much so that when TPTB killed off her love Al Holden in one of the stupidest decisions ever, they hastily wrote a story where Al's body went into newcomer Michael McBain and then recast the Michael character with the person who had been playing Al (of course the actor playing Al had his personal demons that forced him off the show later, but I digress...)

The whole Marcie wanting a baby thing pretty much drove her story for most of her time on the show. After she had to give up Tommy, Starr agreed to give Marcie and Michael her unwanted baby, which then led into a whole switcharoo story with Jessica/Tess also giving birth at the same time and switching the babies when hers had died. When it was all said and done, Marcie had to give up another child to another Manning. It really was history repeating itself but it worked. And when they wrote off Marcie they gave her a happy ending by finding out she was pregnant with her own child, so her story really came full circle.

Comment

• JaySherman
          JaySherman commented
          Editing a comment
          If I recall correctly Nathaniels troubles resulted in Al dying but there was negative fan reaction to his departure so TPTB gave him another chance as Michael.

I had also read somewhere that TPTB for some reason wanted the Holdens gone which is why Al was killed off not written off. Later Max left with Frankie and Leslie and the show added insult to injury by killing off Gabrielle.

There was really no reason for any of it

As for other thoughts on this era, I liked Ron's writing overall but he made some questionable choices that I thought weren't true to character. Two that come to mind are giving Jessica an alter and claiming she had been abused when she was a child (even though we saw her grow up on screen and it never happened) and briefly making Dorian a lesbian and having her marry a woman in some convoluted story about her winning some political election.

I actually liked the story when Marty came back and fell for Todd, not realizing it was Todd due to his facial surgery. There was so much drama around that and it was one of those umbrella stories that weaved into other stories. Ron was really good about that, incorporating characters into multiple stories across the canvas. And while it was so unrealistic, the two Todds story was excellent and was a great way to bring the original Todd back to the show while keeping Trevor St. John who was such an excellent actor.

Comment

• JaySherman
          JaySherman commented
          Editing a comment
          Dena Higley is responsible for the nonsense that is Tess and while Ron could have dropped it or fixed it, he still wrote stories around it

Rumor is Bree Williamson loved playing Tess and TPTB wanted to keep her happy.

I can also understand the objections to the Todd/Marty story. In in a way it was Todds attempt to make amends for what happened between them. Yes I know he was later revealed to be someone else but at the time it was Todd. I think if they never slept together then it might have been better recieved.

The Two Todds storyline was a good one and TSJ and RH played well off each other. We also got Andrea Evans back twice.

Finally I liked Tom Degnan as Joey. Some thought Joey would never be so naive but rewatching Joey/Dorian and the aftermath I thought Joey was finally being written correctly again

I started watching OLTL in 2008. In fact, my first episode was when Dorian took over BE and Nash fell through the skylight (I was hooked). I really miss OLTL. I love all the characters (even the ones I wasn't supposed to like). I can't speak to the show before I started watching (but I have seen old clips of classic episodes on the website that can't be named).

I was devastated when it was canceled (especially since it was the #1 ABC soap. GH was only saved because JFP/Guza was still working on the show).

I found OLTL to be campy but it was balanced sometimes with much needed nuance and meaningful story beats. RC was good with that on OLTL (GH not so much, and it is definitely lacking on DAYS).

Comment

• JaySherman
          JaySherman commented
          Editing a comment
          I recall many fans were upset when Nash died and said that Jared "murdered" him. Looking back on it, since Forbes March was leaving, Nash had to die otherwise Jessica wouldn't have had any reason to slip back into Tess (as apparently playing Tess is what Bree Williamson wanted to do)

Jessica wasn't invested enough in Jared to be shocked by the secret. And Jared merely pushed Nash away from Natalie. He didn't push Nash with the intention of him going over the railing and through the skylight. He was doing it to protect Natalie and did something any man would d o if the woman they were involved with was confronted by someone.

• Mr.Sami_Brady
          Mr.Sami_Brady commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel like I missed out on Nash, FM seemed like a good guy/actor. After reading his character bio I was surprised that he was a Higley creation (She rarely creates characters that are fleshed out and well-liked).

Dorian’s BE takeover was awesome camp! Long love the Queen

Comment

I thought that OLTL overlooked a lot of golden opportunities.

Thumbs up: Jessica having a twin sister.
          Thumbs down: Recasting Jessica from Erin Torpey to Bree Williamson

At the time, Jill Farren Phelps had arrived from producing AW to produce OLTL. A very popular story on AW were the twin daughters of Michael and Donna Hudson: Sweet Marley and her secret, edgier twin, Viki. AW had just been canceled. Keeping Erin Torpey as OLTL's sweet, sheltered Jessica and casting Bree Williamson as HER secret, sexy, rougher around the edges twin made the most sense. Melissa Archer could have been kept on the canvas as the red-haired Natalie, but make her Allison's daughter by Vickie's nephew, Dan Wolek (the son of red-haired Meredith Lord and Dan Wolek).

Thumbs up: Tea having her own offspring by Todd.
          Thumbs down: Danielle's conception date and not giving Tea a son by Todd from the island wreck.

Thumbs up: Todd's brother falling in love with Tea.
          Thumbs down: Making him Todd's identical twin rather than his fraternal twin brother whom Irene kept for herself.

Thumbs up: Al and Marcy
          Thumbs down: Michael and Marcy (why not make Michael Al's identical twin).
          MAJOR thumbs down: Killing off Gabrielle Medina instead of reuniting her with Max and having them raise Frank and Lesley

Comment

• JaySherman
            JaySherman commented
            Editing a comment
            Erin Torpey chose to leave though. She wasn't fired and had survived the multiple recasts of both brothers. Erin grew up in the role and wanted to move on. She left OLTL on good terms and came back more than once - once as "Baby Megan" in a Heaven storyline when Jessica Tuck wasn't available and once as a new character to help David Fumeros Christian exit the show.

I agree killing Gabrielle was a big mistake

• MemMem
            MemMem commented
            Editing a comment
            @JaySherman:

Still feel that, when Erin Torpey left the show, Jessica should have been written out with her. Simply have her leave town to go to school in London. I believe that Kevin and/or Joey were there at the time. Also felt and still feel that killing off Baby Megan Rappaport was a huge mistake. Hated the unwed mother story with Starr by Cole (UGH, UGH, UGH), but thought ET seemed mature enough to play out early motherhood.

Wanted to say how disappointed I was when I found out who OLTL passed on when it came to casting Will Rappaport. WHY did they not cast the delightful Josh Duhamel. I loathed the guy they went with and I could have shipped Jessica and Will BIG time if Josh Duhamel played the role.

• MemMem
            MemMem commented
            Editing a comment
            @JaySherman:

Still feel that, when Erin Torpey left the show, Jessica should have been written out with her. Simply have her leave town to go to school in London. I believe that Kevin and/or Joey were there at the time. Also felt and still feel that killing off Baby Megan Rappaport was a huge mistake. Hated the unwed mother story with Starr by Cole (UGH, UGH, UGH), but thought ET seemed mature enough to play out early motherhood.

Wanted to say how disappointed I was when I found out who OLTL passed on when it came to casting Will Rappaport. WHY did they not cast the delightful Josh Duhamel. I loathed the guy they went with and I could have shipped Jessica and Will BIG time if Josh Duhamel played the role.

Two things that drove me nuts about OLTL was the inability to stick to canon and the refusal to incorporate legacy characters.

I didn't have a problem with Marty having Patrick's child, but it was established that they had a daughter named either Kathleen or Coleen who was slightly younger than Starr.
          Why create Cole when Frank Holden was out there? Why create Langston when Leslie Holden was out there?
          Why bring Gabrielle back and not eventually reunite her with Max and have them raise Frank and Leslie?

One more thing that drove me nuts about OLTL was the inability to listen to the viewers and make sure that Jessica's son, Ryder, turned out to be Cody's and not the universally loathed Robert Ford. The only pay off was when the chandelier fell on his sorry behind and killed him.

Thumbs up: Blair and Elijah Clarke
          Thumbs down: Blair and Tomas Delgado (ICK)

Thumbs up: Tea and Kevin Buchanan
          Thumbs Down: Tea and Andrew Carpenter

Thumbs Up: Blair and Kevin Buchanan (when he wasn't slimey)
          Thumbs Down: Kevin and Kelly Cramer

Thumbs Up: John McBain and Kelly Cramer (surprising chemistry)
          Thumbs Down: John McBain and Natalie Buchanan
          Thumbs Down: John McBain and Blair Cramer

Some of these pairings I turned "thumbs down" on might have seemed good on paper, but there was no chemistry. Better to let couples grow organically.

Comment

Originally posted by MemMem View Post
            Two things that drove me nuts about OLTL was the inability to stick to canon and the refusal to incorporate legacy characters.

I didn't have a problem with Marty having Patrick's child, but it was established that they had a daughter named either Kathleen or Coleen who was slightly younger than Starr.
            Why create Cole when Frank Holden was out there? Why create Langston when Leslie Holden was out there?
            Why bring Gabrielle back and not eventually reunite her with Max and have them raise Frank and Leslie?

One more thing that drove me nuts about OLTL was the inability to listen to the viewers and make sure that Jessica's son, Ryder, turned out to be Cody's and not the universally loathed Robert Ford. The only pay off was when the chandelier fell on his sorry behind and killed him.

Thumbs up: Blair and Elijah Clarke
            Thumbs down: Blair and Tomas Delgado (ICK)

Thumbs up: Tea and Kevin Buchanan
            Thumbs Down: Tea and Andrew Carpenter

Thumbs Up: Blair and Kevin Buchanan (when he wasn't slimey)
            Thumbs Down: Kevin and Kelly Cramer

Thumbs Up: John McBain and Kelly Cramer (surprising chemistry)
            Thumbs Down: John McBain and Natalie Buchanan
            Thumbs Down: John McBain and Blair Cramer

Some of these pairings I turned "thumbs down" on might have seemed good on paper, but there was no chemistry. Better to let couples grow organically.
            I loved Blair and Elijah Clark together, And I so wish Ryder was Brody's as well. I was so ticked how Brody got thrown under the Bus for Ford it was almost disgusting as RC leaving Matthew as Eddie Fords killer although the scumbag so deserved to die.

Comment

• JaySherman
              JaySherman commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree Blair and Elijah worked well together. Having him be a killer came out of left field.

I think Ron intended for Brody to be with Jessica (based on some previous story decisions he made) but TPTB wanted Ford to be front and center with Jessica. Jessica and Brody worked well together whereas Jessica and Ford didn't make any sense to me.

In regards to Matthew, the thought occurred to me that this is the second of Bo and Nora's family to kill someone. Rachel killed Georgie Phillips (another left field made no sense story) years prior. At least Matthew never went to jail.

Originally posted by LukeIsDaMan View Post
            Loathed Rex/Gigi and their pathetic son...really horrible storyline that should have never happened.
            The less said about the character of Gigi, the better!!

Comment

• LukeIsDaMan
              LukeIsDaMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen to that! Lol!

I enjoyed 2007 and 2008 but not much after that.

The beginnings of the Paris, Texas arc was really fun ..... didn't like the show making Adriana the villainous just to prop up Gigi, who was one of the worst characters to ever hit Llanview. I loved Susan Haskell coming back to the show. Wish it played out better.

Didn't really mind Nash Brennan's death in 2008 but I was upset to see Jared Banks murdered in 2009 because I really, really, really enjoyed portrayer John Brotherton.
            Last edited by Angela Holliday; July 18, 2021, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• JaySherman
              JaySherman commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't mind that Adriana had an edge. If she was just good, she would have been another Cassie.

I agree it was unfortunate that John Brotherton was let go. I found his relationship with Natalie to be more interesting than her relationship with John McBain.

Paris Texas was a nice storyline for Viki. It's unfortunate TPTB told the show to end it.

I also agree that Susan Haskell's return could have been handled better. How she was written off was one of Ron's misfires.

I enjoyed every minute of OLTL and I miss it EVERY DAY!!!

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X