Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone remember what happened w/Ivan Kipling when he returned in 1985?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone remember what happened w/Ivan Kipling when he returned in 1985?

Does anyone remember what happened with Ivan Kipling when he returned to the show in late 1985? I've seen clips of him in December 1985 where he was "disguised" as a doctor with a different name at Llanview Hospital. He was up to no good but I never saw or read anything about what happened with him. Seems weird they would bring a villain back from the dead and then do nothing with him. His picture was even in the intro for a short period. Anyway, I've looked and looked but all I can find is that Jack Betts returned to the role until December of 85 but that's it. Maybe they had something more planned and dropped it due to the actor quitting or being fired? Or maybe they just changed their minds.

I was 11 at the time. I remember that he had a bionic hand and had a fondness or obsession with a young Cassie Callison. He also rescued her at one point. He came off more as an antihero than a villain. And then suddenly he was gone.

Comment

According to the OLTL Thirty Years of Memories book, Dr. Kipling came back to Llanview and just wanted to be left in peace. He stayed in Timberdark, which Joy O'Neill, Cassie, Rob Coronal and Dan Wolek were renting for the summer, and apparently did things to try to scare them away. It doesn't get into details regarding how that played out but says he shortly afterward left town to return to South America.

I vaguely remember this and would be interested in knowing why the storyline was cut short, too. His storylines were generally pretty goofy but I was a big fan of the doctor.

Comment

Ivan was hiding out from the law and conducting some research. Cassie, Rob, Joy, and Dan were renting Timberdark for the summer. He wanted them gone so he would remain undetected. He worked hard to scare them away. But he also met Cassie and became very fond and protective of her. When she got engaged to Rob he tried hard to break them up. I even remember he posed as a priest so their wedding would not be real. But somehow a real priest did show up for their wedding. Later Cassie enlisted his help to save David who was also on the run from foreign enemy agents who wanted him dead. By then he was working at the hospital under an alias. Only Cassie knew who he really was. He gave David a drug that faked his death so he could escape. By then Larry knew his true identity but tolerated him because they helped David and Jenny. In the meantime a young girl named Tracy got a crush on Larry and got so crazy she killed his wife Laurel (Rob’s mother). Ivan was blamed for Laurels death. Cassie worked to prove he was innocent which is why she and Rob broke up. Rob couldn’t believe Cassie was defending Ivan. In the end…. The truth came out but too many people knew Ivan’s true identity. He went into hiding. He met with Cassie one last time and gave her his research so she could give it to someone to continue it… and he said goodbye for the last time. Then Cassie was thrust into other storylines and the research and Ivan were never mentioned again.

Comment

Thanks for the summary. Im glad someone knows what happened. I looked everywhere for old scenes where Kipling had Larry and Ed Hall under his control with brain chips or something. And then he gets eaten by crocodiles lol. I guess the crocs only ate his fingers though haha.

Ivan was always a villain I expected to return at some point. The actor is still alive to this day and is 92 years old. Very cool.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X