Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I miss the interactions of Viki and Dorian

One of the many things I miss about OLTL is the relationship between Viki and Dorian.

Their relationship was an interesting one. They could be civil and almost friends like when the box containing the letters from Victor were found and later when Dorian (as Elaine Prinici) returned to Llanview.

In later years we learned how damaged both of them were, having each suffered horrific abuse at the hands of someone who they should have been able to trust and love.

Even when they fought and were in bad situations, there was some caring underneath the animosity.

I miss their interactions and relationship

Originally posted by JaySherman View Post
    One of the many things I miss about OLTL is the relationship between Viki and Dorian.

Their relationship was an interesting one. They could be civil and almost friends like when the box containing the letters from Victor were found and later when Dorian (as Elaine Prinici) returned to Llanview.

In later years we learned how damaged both of them were, having each suffered horrific abuse at the hands of someone who they should have been able to trust and love.

Even when they fought and were in bad situations, there was some caring underneath the animosity.

I miss their interactions and relationship
    I think they had one of the best frieemy relationships on soaps.

Comment

Just to say I agree. They fought competed but were there for each other when truly needed

Comment

I was born in the late 60's, what was the genesis of Vicki's emotional instability? What happened to Dorian in her younger years as well? Didn't Dorian play with Vicki's emotional state as well a few times? . I think she lied and stated that her dad Victor molested her. I think Dorian hit the all time low seducing Joey. I know she favored younger men, but wasn't he only 19 or 20? You can't blame Vicki for maintaining a civil distance.

However, I can sympathize with Dorian. That can't be easy to have most of your relations be unstable. Not to mention, she faced a ton of heartbreak romantic wise too. That was sad when Mel died. By the way, since her mom was crazy and dad was dead, who raised her? Were they kind to her?
        Last edited by WalnutGirl; September 7, 2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

WalnutGirl

Viki's emotional issues were re-written a few times with most of the focus being on seeing her teenage roommate Irene in bed with her father Victor Lord, a union that produced Tina and later Todd. It was later expanded upon that Victor had molested Viki repeatedly for years after causing the death of her mother Eugenia by shoving her down a flight of stairs. She also had been raped by Mitch Laurence which created the mistaken belief that he was the father of her daughter Jessica and that Clint was the father of her previously unknown daughter Natalie. Near the end of the series run on ABC, Ron Carlivati resolved that storyline by making Clint the father of both Jessica and Natalie.

Dorian's mother and her two sisters suffered from mental illness with her mother Sonya and older sister Agatha (aka Addie) repeatedly tormenting her. Sonya was a piano player and was driven to anger by any noise as it silenced the music and creativity in her head. There were multiple instances where Sonya would lock Dorian in a dark closet to punish her for some alleged misdeed, an action that brought about her claustrophobia. Addie had physically assaulted Dorian repeatedly resulting in Dorian being stabbed with a pair of scissors. Addie was institutionalized and later Melinda was as well. Sonya in a delusional state killed Dorian's father Lou with a statue to the head and blamed Dorian for the death. The children's nanny Ms Stonecliff stepped in as caregiver and faked Lou and Sonya's death's in a fictional plane crash. Dorian got to the point where she believed she was responsible for her father's death and didn't fully remember that Sonya had killed him. At the end of that story, she discovered Sonya was alive and after some initial interactions, she had to kill her mother to protect her from killing Cassie (Dorian's daughter)

Dorian and Viki had been feuding for years (mostly over a misunderstanding) and Dorian later married Victor Lord just before his death. Viki for years believed that Dorian had hastened his death and been the one who killed him. Dorian had withheld his medication at one point before he died and while she didn't actually kill him, she believed people would think she did.

Viki and Dorian had a confrontation at Dorian's house after Dorian was released from Death Row for the murder and Dorian brought up the abuse as a way to ask why Viki cared that Victor was dead. She realized Viki had suppressed the memory and was willing to drop it as long as Viki let Dorian leave. But the memories were real and multiple alternate personalities came forth (viewers previously only knew of Niki Smith) to protect her, imprisoning Dorian in the secret room at Llanfair. A deal was later reached allowing for her release as long as she went along with the secret keeping

The personalities were:
          • Viki - the host personality
          • Jean Randolph - the gatekeeper of the others and the one who took Dorian prisoner. Cold, logical, unemotional and hates to be touched.
          • Tommy - the young protective brother Viki imagined having who looked out for her. He threw Dorian down the stairs before Jean intervened
          • Niki Smith - party girl who loved sex - she was created initially to deal with Viki's encounters with Victor.
          • Princess - Viki as a young girl when the abuse started. Most of her appearances were of her terrified and begging for help
          • Tori - a personification of the secret. She nearly burned Llanfair to the ground and tried to torch The Banner
          • "Victor" - a image of Victor Lord who would punish Viki if she didn't do as she was told.

After what happened with Viki's child molestation storyline and Dorian's storyline involving her mother, they both had respect for each other considering what they had each been through.

Old habits die hard and old emotions would come to the surface on a regular basis. By the time the show ended, Viki and Dorian were friends (with Dorian trying to help Viki get rid of a mutual acquantaince - Echo DiSavoy). When the show restarted so did the feud and it wasn't ever resolved as the reboot ended prematurely.

Comment

Yes! Vicki and Dorian is one of my favorite rivalries in soaps, along with Nora and Lindsay...Which was also pretty iconic and entertaining too.
            Last edited by Soapsbarbie; September 13, 2020, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I miss these ladies too. Soapsbarbie, I never forgave Lindsay for meddling in Bo and Nora's relationship. I hated her for that until the bitter end.

Comment

• JaySherman
                JaySherman commented
                Editing a comment
                I would have been fine with Lindsay continuing to be a foil for Nora. After all she was the only Rappaport who was remotely interesting. But I also hated how Bo and Nora were broken up for the Rappaports. I don't know if something happened behind the scenes where RSW and HBS wanted to split but I found their coupling to be a breath of fresh air.

I miss these lovely ladies as well.

Comment

Oh yes this is one of the best "couples" on soaps Couples really don't have to be romantic

Comment

I think I liked Nora versus Lindsay more but Viki and Dorian had such a rich complex dynamic. The true super couple of the show!

Comment

OLTL was lucky to have such epic rivalries. ES and RS were in a league of their own. But the Nora v. Lindsay catfights never failed to make me laugh.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X