This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noticed Robert S. Woods was on The Waltons

I know some OLTL fans are probably already aware... but I was recently watching old episodes of The Waltons, and noticed Robert S. Woods (Bo Buchanan) portrayed Mary Ellen's fiance (a doctor) for about 8 episodes in 1976 (or 1977?). What a beautiful, talented man! He was so incredibly handsome! (And still is!) What a talented actor, really miss him.

I saw him too. You are right. He looked very handsome. I miss Robert S. Woods and OLTL so much.

Comment

• emilydaze
      emilydaze commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment When Hillary B. Smith brought Nora back to GH last year, I was SO hoping that RSW might make a cameo appearance, just so we could see Bo and Nora together again!

I just found out Y&R legend Melody Thomas Scott( Nikki) also had cameos on the classic show prior to joining the soap. The late actor John Ritter played a young minister. The show was quite a springboard. I also learned Morgan Fairchild of Search for Tomorrow fame guest starred in Happy Days as one of Ritchie 's girlfriends.

Comment

• emilydaze
      emilydaze commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right, a lot of actors must have got their start on that show. I saw Melody Thomas Scott too, as the daughter of a car salesman, Ben's girlfriend I think. I recognized that voice, she was so young and beautiful!

The actor that played Ben has a sad real life tale. His wife died not long after giving birth a few years ago. I think the girl is 9 or 10 now. He was a single dad for quite awhile, then remarried. I think Mary Ellen's husband suffered from a war injury and faked his death. Years later, he returned to his hometown, and explained his reason. I think Mary Ellen was studying to be a doctor by then. The show highlighted the gender bias women faced during that era. She forgave him, and they parted on civil terms.

Years later, Mary Ellen had an accident that damaged her reproductive system, she was heartbroken, since she was engaged I believe.

Comment

• emilydaze
      emilydaze commented
      Editing a comment
      That's so sad about the actor who played Ben, I didn't know. Recently I've been watching the Waltons on the ISPN network, and I've been enjoying it so much. It's amazing to find actors (or guest stars) that I recognize from their roles on soaps later in their careers.

Ron Howard played a cancer victim on the show as well.

Comment

• emilydaze
      emilydaze commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll look for him... haven't seen him yet, or I missed that episode. I've been watching them in order (I think).

The actress that played "Donna" on Sanford and Son was in the show as well. Many soap fans may know this, but "Poppa Walton" Ralph Waite was on Days until his death a few years ago. He played Eric's wise mentor Father Matt. Eric was a priest then. Later Kristen DiMeara, drugged and sexually abused him. Don't ask, watch the clips on Youtube. Prior to acting, Ralph was actually a minister. He briefly dated the actress who played Miss Beadle on Little House in the 70's.

I read the actress who played Mary Ellen, Judy is or was performing musical theatre in Canada. I recall the controversy decades ago when she posed for Playboy.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• emilydaze
      emilydaze commented
      Editing a comment
      I can imagine the actress who played Mary Ellen was tired of being type cast as one of the (wholesome) Walton children, so she wanted to do something daring and totally opposite by posing for Playboy.

I've always liked Ralph Waite, he was awesome as Gibb's father on NCIS. He was such a good actor, always believable as a loving father figure yet a bit rough around the edges. I definitely have to watch youtube clips of Days!

Regarding the former cast members, a few are still in the performing arts. I know Kami( Elizabeth) is a teacher. The actor that played Ben runs a messenger service I think. Judy and Richard still act. Which soap would you like them to make a cameo on if they were interested? Richard has mentioned in several interviews, the frustrations of being type casted as the wholesome good guy. It would be a trip to see "Mary Ellen" or "John boy" being evil or sinister.

Comment

• emilydaze
      emilydaze commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I would enjoy any of the cast members to appear on any of the remaining soaps. It would be interesting to see what they look like now, as adults.

I think Richard Thomas has had quite a successful career in made for television movies, guest staring television roles and on Broadway, so I'm not sure he would be willing to appear on a soap. But I do seem to remember him appearing as a criminal on one of the Law and Order shows and I didn't like seeing him as a villain!

The actress who played Elizabeth really did such an excellent job as a child actor, I'm surprised she didn't continue her career as an actor.

On a recent Hallmark talk show, the cast spoke about how socially conscious and ethical Ralph was. He demanded TPTB hire Native American performers in one episode, I never saw that one, but the show did highlight social issues of the era. He also defended the rights of the crew members. Not only is it sweet the surviving cast members are still close, but they have aged well too.

I read the memoirs of the actress that played Erin 2 years ago, it was pretty good. I wish the others wrote memoirs. I recall Richard played on Roots II as well. He was on a religious show for awhile too.

Comment

• emilydaze
      emilydaze commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the background information about Ralph Waite, it's admirable that he was so socially conscious during that era when the show was filmed.

That episode about a Native American elder (with his grandson) was aired a few weeks ago. He wanted to come to Walton's Mountain to search for (and be buried on) sacred land with his ancestors (and he ended up burning down John's barn!)

I only saw Kami in the Waltons, did she ever perform in anything else? I think she teaches in Virginia as well, or at least in the Southeast area. It would also be nice it there was a biopic on the show.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
    Working...
    X