Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuidingLite View Post
    See I didn't list them because in both cases (Sonni/Solita and Carrie Todd) they had mental/psychological disorders.....the three I listed: Brent, Lucille, and Annie were all just 'evil'.....

True, Carrie and Sonni did some pretty bad things in their day....but I LOVED both characters, despite their hideous acts....testament to the actors and to the writers that they could still make me feel something other than disgust for either of them. ;0)
    Carrie and Soni/Solita were more troubled than anything I agree they didn't go into the villain side of it like some others.

Comment

While I loved having Roger return from the dead in the late 1980's, I absolutely HATED the idea that Holly would go back to him....the man who raped her...kidnapped her...kidnapped their child...tormented her...I lost so much respect for Holly as a character when she became 'enamored' of Roger once again...at the cost of her marriage to Fletcher and raising their child together...I could have seen Holly with Alan Spaulding and been fine with it if she needed a 'bad boy' in her life....but not Roger after everything he put her through....
      I didn't see Roger and Holly's first go-round, but always loved the actors and I was so thrilled when the show brought them back after casting their daughter Blake. (I wonder when TPTB casted the role if they always knew she'd turn out to be Christina. ) I loved their chemistry and actually loved Holly/MG with most of her leading men -- Roger, Ed, and Ross -- but never really saw her chemistry with Fletcher. And hated, HATED how Fletcher literally stole Meg from her and then would torment her with periodic pictures of her. Fletcher as a character went really downhill for me after that, but I'm digressing. I think because Roger and Holly had a romantic, consensual relationship for years prior to the bad stuff happening I could see why she was still enamored with him. Yes, the "They Are Soulmates" thing was a rewrite, but MZ's and MG's chemistry made it believable that at the end of the day they were each other's one true love.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald Greens View Post
        Yeah I couldn't blame Fletcher for taking Meg .I was fine with Holly and Ed ending up together but Holly's actions did cost her her own daughter and I didn't have a problem with that.
        I can. Fletcher had NO right to basically steal Meg from her and I don't see how Holly's own actions cost her Meg. She was never shown to be an unfit mother and Fletcher went into the relationship knowing their history and that Holly would always have unresolved feelings for Roger. It was cruel of him, especially when he would send her periodic pictures of Meg at different stages. I thought that was actually crueler than him taking her. He was throwing it in her face and rubbing salt in the wound. It's no wonder Holly went crazy.

I used to love the character of Fletcher, but that really turned me off to him and him coming back for Alexandra in the end was simply to give Alex a HEA. Where was Meg and the teacher of hers he had fallen in love with. It didn't make sense that he just showed up like that. At least with Ed, you knew the place he was at in his life and we had seen him and Holly interact at least once or twice before the finale, so that's why they're ending made sense. I never saw MH's Ed, but always loved Peter Simon and Maureen Garrett together.

Comment

While I loved having Roger return from the dead in the late 1980's, I absolutely HATED the idea that Holly would go back to him....the man who raped her...kidnapped her...kidnapped their child...tormented her...I lost so much respect for Holly as a character when she became 'enamored' of Roger once again...at the cost of her marriage to Fletcher and raising their child together...I could have seen Holly with Alan Spaulding and been fine with it if she needed a 'bad boy' in her life....but not Roger after everything he put her through....
          I couldn't agree more. I always thought it was a terrible, terrible mistake to have Holly go back to Roger. After everything that he had done to her? It made her seem masochistic and nutty, and it was the beginning of the end for her character. Her stupid choice started the whole "Holly-is-unstable" theme, and within a few years, she was SO nutty that she was kidnapping all of Springfield's children. It was a dreadful thing to do to a character that started out neurotic and self-destructive, but achieved inner strength and self-esteem after years of hard work.

I do understand why TPTB thought it was a good idea. At the time, both characters were single, and they needed a new story arc. Roger's storylines with Alexandra, Mindy and Jenna were over. Holly's storyline with Ross was over. It was clear that it was difficult to match either of them with a new partner that would last. And Zaslow and Garrett had been magical together in the past, so why not try putting them together again? But it was an awful decision, as it damaged Holly in the long run.

What should they have done instead? The obvious next storyline for Holly was for her to end up back with Ed. It was the only way for the show to salvage the disaster of killing off Maureen. After Maureen's death, Holly became Michelle's new surrogate mother, which put her back in Ed's orbit. I loved the honest chats that she and Ed had together at this time, and it could have been the beginning of Ed and Holly dating and ultimately re-marrying and becoming Springfield's new tent-pole couple. Holly could have become the new town matriarch -- maybe not the Earth Mother that Maureen had been, but a bit more cynical and biting. It would have worked. Think about Holly and Maureen together, when Holly sat Maureen down and made her think logically about Ed's possible cheating, and what a "silly" idea it was. Holly could have become a tougher, but still caring, version of Maureen.

If GL had done this, we would have been spared the story of Ed & Eve, a couple I could never believe in. And we would have been spared the story of Holly & Meg, another bad idea. If Holly had to have a new child, it should have been a new Bauer, a child who would have been a half-sibling to Rick and Michelle and Blake. Ed and Holly would have continued on the show for many years, and the Bauer family would have been re-invigorated.

But instead, we got Crazy Holly.
          Last edited by BauerBoy; 03-12-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BauerBoy View Post
            The obvious next storyline for Holly was for her to end up back with Ed. It was the only way for the show to salvage the disaster of killing off Maureen. After Maureen's death, Holly became Michelle's new surrogate mother, which put her back in Ed's orbit. I loved the honest chats that she and Ed had together at this time, and it could have been the beginning of Ed and Holly dating and ultimately re-marrying and becoming Springfield's new tent-pole couple. Holly could have become the new town matriarch -- maybe not the Earth Mother that Maureen had been, but a bit more cynical and biting. It would have worked. Think about Holly and Maureen together, when Holly sat Maureen down and made her think logically about Ed's possible cheating, and what a "silly" idea it was. Holly could have become a tougher, but still caring, version of Maureen.

If GL had done this, we would have been spared the story of Ed & Eve, a couple I could never believe in. And we would have been spared the story of Holly & Meg, another bad idea. If Holly had to have a new child, it should have been a new Bauer, a child who would have been a half-sibling to Rick and Michelle and Blake. Ed and Holly would have continued on the show for many years, and the Bauer family would have been re-invigorated.
            I co-sign this post BaurBoy. As much as I loved Roger and Holly, I also really loved Holly and Ed, even more so than Ed and Maureen (I'm ducking now ). The abrupt ending of the renewed friendship/relationship between them and the Holly/Michelle relationship was done, not just so Holly could get back with Roger but also to prop Eve and pave the way for her pairing with Ed. Just as I never bought Fletcher and Holly as a couple, I never bought into the Ed/Eve relationship. How you described it here is exactly how it should have gone down, complete with them having a later in life pregnancy and a Down's Syndrome baby.

Comment

So agreed that Holly and Ed should have been paired again after Maureen's death - and a respectable mourning period.....Eve and Ed was a complete travesty....in my opinion....

Holly's character becoming a stalker and child-napper was so completely wrong....such destruction of the character after such a legacy on the show. I didn't so much mind her with Fletcher - it was an 'odd' pairing, for certain - but not, to me, completely off-putting....I didn't like her with Buzz at all....Billy Lewis and Holly were, to me, kind of fun - but you could tell that she just wasn't in love with Billy (OR Buzz)...but there were only so many available men in that age group for Holly to be paired with....

My wish is that Holly had left Springfield pregnant with Ed's child (when she left the first time) that she then gave up for adoption in Europe....and that she had had a Bauer child that way....a brother for Rick and Michelle...but the Bauer family was one by one phased out of Springfield....I would, over time, have loved to see Hope return, Mike return, Ed have another child show up that Holly had given birth to....when Mary Stewart passed they could have brought back the other sister, Trudy Bauer as the show's 'matriarch' and moral compass.....there were lots and lots of Bauers they could have brought in/brought back to keep the family thriving instead of letting it dwindle down to just Rick and the last few years....his daughter Leah's aging was SO wrong as it made Jude (his son with Harley) an affair during his marriage to Mel....and Jude could have been aged first....Jude and James, besides being half-brothers, could also have been the 'Philip and Rick' of the final years of the show.....Rick's son and Philip's son...best buddies as well as half-brothers...they really had an enormous 'stable' of potential teens to choose from....Kevin and Jason Marler, Jude Bauer and James Spaulding, Maureen Reardon (Vanessa and Matt's daughter), Leah Bauer, Ian 'Rocky' Cooper, so many great legacy characters....

Comment

The crazos' have always been my favorites, on any of the soaps.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                Working...
                X