• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • varnish7
    Board Regular
    • Mar 2004

Thoughts on Esme's pregnancy "scare"

Okay, Liz tricking Esme was kind of funny. For about a minute. However, Esme is absolutely right. What if this had really been an emergency? She's trapped in a room and seemingly left alone for hours at a time. She has no way to signal for help. The help that Esme does have consists of Nikolas, Liz, and Demetrius.

Nikolas claims that he cares about the baby, but his actions say otherwise. He's deliberately putting the mother of his child in a stressful situation and withholding medical care from her. He even balked at calling an ambulance for Esme even though, at the time, he believed it was necessary to save his child's life. Nikolas also apparently believes that snatching Baby Ace from his mother's arms as soon as he's born is the best thing for the child.

As for Liz, I can understand her not being overly invested in Esme's wellbeing. However, she is just being unprofessional. Her decision to keep Esme locked up is clearly motivated, at least in part, on petty revenge rather on what's best for Esme and the baby. Liz also apparently believes that Baby Ace is healthy based on feeling Esme's pulse for five seconds. If I were an expectant mother, I would not be very comforted by Liz's "exam". She could have at least checked Esme's vitals and asked a few questions about the baby.

Demetrius, at least, seems to have some sympathy for Esme. He's also shown that he cares about the baby. Hopefully, if there is a problem with Baby Ace, it will happen on Demetrius's watch. That way the baby will at least have a chance of getting the help it needs.

Also, I feel that the writers missed an opportunity for a great storyline. Instead of going for the cheap laugh, the writers could have made it so that the emergency was real. Nikolas and Liz could have taken Esme to the hospital where she would deliver a very premature Ace. The writers could have shown Nikolas and Esme fighting against the odds to save their baby's life, while also dealing with the fallout of their actions. This story could have involved several of the characters and given Nikolas and Esme the opportunity to experience some real growth.

These are just my opinions. What does everyone else think?
  • Wanda Wolek
    Contract Poster
    • May 2013

I just can't work up any righteous indignation for Esme's plight. I got so sick of the writers twisting everything so Esme would win again and again that I am actually enjoying watching her lose. I wouldn't mind if she died and took her baby with her. Harsh? Yes. But that is how much I dislike a character I once thought had great potential.

Comment

• Maxiegirl
      Maxiegirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah same here,

I don’t give a you know what that she’s pregnant and been kidnapped.

I care more about Elizabeth and Nikolas and even if they’re considered dead wrong on this I’m team Niz!
  • 1sbkmcfan
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Aug 2006

Interesting she calls it Ace, but then it is her Ace card. She must have never read the story of the boy who cried wolfe so she took a chance with whether she would be believed if there really is a problem. I do wish Nicholas had turned her in. Many women go to prison when they are pregnant. I guess his fear is Ava finding out Esme is pregnant which should not be shocking to Ava since sex often leads to pregnancy. He is in the wrong but I have no sympathy for Esme.

Comment

• thecourt99
      thecourt99 commented
      Editing a comment
      And this is why Esme has zero points with me. She has made a mastery of crying as the victim in order to take advantage of others. There is no reason to believe that she will be any different while pregnant. Maybe he should have handed her off to Victor or sent her to an island with medical care that didn't end until the child was born. I thought this family had unlimited funds.

• Quinoa
      Quinoa commented
      Editing a comment
      Ace in the hole.
  • NoTrueCassadine
    Board Regular
    • May 2019

I think this whole thing is ridiculous and shameful and if anything could make me dislike Nik, this storyline would do it. He acts as if the worst thing that could happen to his baby would be for its mother to be imprisoned during her pregnancy. In actuality, if Esme were locked up, she'd be much closer to adequate medical attention than she is in a deserted tower in Wyndemere.

While I enjoyed Liz outwitting Esme, Liz needs to put a stop this immediately.

Comment

• CarnyQueen
      I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
      • Mar 2006

I enjoyed seeing Elizabeth outwit Esme, but I hate that she is going along with Nikolas's scheme and even volunteered to be the one who delivers the baby. When you help someone hold a woman prisoner, you become a kidnapper. Elizabeth is risking everything -- and for what?

All Nikolas has to do is have Demetrius remove any signs that Esme was being held and then call 911 and say "I caught Esme Prince on my property." Esme would say, "Ava tried to kill me and Nikolas held me prisoner" and the cops would say, Yeah, right.

Yes, Ava and Spencer will be angry when they learn that Nikolas impregnated Esme. So what? They're already mad at him. But Ava might get over her mad if she she gets to tell Esme, "You're going to prison, and Nikolas and I are taking your baby, who will grow up worshipping me as Mommy."

Comment

• wfreshie2130
        wfreshie2130 commented
        Editing a comment
        for the love of god, why WHY is nick being so STUPID??????ASSUMING the baby is his????????? with esme being and continuing to be the BIGGEST LIAR on the whole PLANET!!!!!!!!!

he has gobs of money ,just hire someone to come in take the samples and privately test them.....
    • DayRose
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Oct 2020

I could care less about Esme. I hope her and her baby die in childbirth.

Comment

• lala214
        Senior Board Member
        • Apr 2018

I just don’t care about Esme or what happens to her. She is an annoying character who hasn’t been fleshed out. She’s up there with Peter to me - a character I just wanted to see dead. The writing (or lack thereof) ruined her, IMO.

I honestly don’t care what Nikolas does to her. Why did she return to PC? Why is she going her dad’s bidding? What is she getting out of this? She wants to be a mom at 19?!? What are her goals and desires? Does she have any? Does she have any feelings about anything she’s done?!? Nava have broken up do what the next part of the plan?!?

The fact that she’s been on a year, and I don’t know the answers to these questions is why her character is a fail, IMO. I’m ready for her to be gone. No thought has been put into the character!

Comment

• Maxiegirl
          Maxiegirl commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with you 100%.

I can’t stand Esme. I hate how she’s always winning so if she’s been “kidnapped” and is pregnant I could care less.

I love Nik and Liz, so I’m team Niz.

• lala214
          lala214 commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too Maxiegirl !!! There is not much Nik could do to Esme that I would care about!
      • Emerald Greens
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Feb 2006

I keep hoping she isn’t actually pregnant . I can understand she looks it but still I hope she’s faking it.
        Yes she’s talking to it but is she just doing this so we know her thoughts or is she having a hysterical pregnancy?

Comment

• LBD12
          LBD12 commented
          Editing a comment
          They could totally write that after she was saved from her fall she found out she had been pregnant and miscarried, and thus a hysterical pregnancy was born. It’s very convenient how easily Nikolas took her word and Elizabeth never even checked the baby’s heart rate.

• Emerald Greens
          Emerald Greens commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s possible too she was pregnant and miscarried . Yes it’s interesting she didn’t let Liz do anything. Very convincing.

• truffle89
          truffle89 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm this is an interesting idea and could totally work. I mean I know people pile on Nik for not giving her ob care...but do we actually think Esme was getting it pre-North Tower lockup? I doubt she had time to squeeze in an US while trying to sneak in to see her psycho daddy. So who knows what's exactly growing in there..lol
      • parker joe
        • Feb 2005

Morally, I understand your point. Anyone deserves proper health care. And Nikolas, in spite of having unlimited resources, doesn't really seem to have a plan to safeguard the health of "his" child. (Until there's at least two untampered DNA tests, I refuse to believe he's really the father of this child. Esme's go-to move when she wants something is to bat her eyes at the nearest male. I'm not going to be surprised if at some point, we find out she screwed Oz, Rory, or anyone who physically resembled Spencer and Nik to get pregnant) I can understand Nik's point about having the child born in prison, which anyone would tell you is a hotbed of illness with substandard medical care.

But count me in the group who has no sympathy for Esme. People are pawns to her. She can't cry foul when she gets the same treatment.

Comment

• LBD12
          Scriptwriter
          • Jun 2013

Here’s the thing though, I’m sure the actress has her fans but from most of what I see people don’t WANT Esme to “grow.” They want her to pay for all the harm that she has caused. And they especially don’t want “Esme and Nik to grow” together. Ew. He could be her father.

And sure Liz provided five minutes of amusement when she called Esme’s bluff but she’s hardly badass Lizzie in all this. She’s getting manipulated and played by Nikolas just like she always is. Is she really fooling herself into thinking Nikolas is somehow doing an unselfish public service by keeping Esme locked up? Or he doesn’t think she’d get adequate prenatal care in prison? She isn’t even seeing a doctor or getting ultrasounds now!! Not to mention her blood pressure and growth/heartbeat checks. Nikolas has Esme locked up because he doesn’t want Ava and Spencer to find out she’s pregnant. Probably Laura and Victor to some extent too. This will inevitably end with Nikolas saying she was shook from seeing her parents and not thinking clearly while she pleads with Cameron and Finn for their forgiveness.

Comment

• Mefisto
            Board Regular
            • Sep 2022

I care deeply for both Esme and her sweet baby. I just need Ryan to be freed as soon as possible so their family can be whole.

Comment

• DVX
              DVX commented
              Editing a comment
              ??? I'm trying to picture a suitably psycho mom to complete this picture.

• conniefl
              conniefl commented
              Editing a comment
              Grandpa Ryan, Grandma Heather, mama Esme and baby Chucky "Ace" , baby daddy unknown. I'm with the ones who think of course Nik isn't Ace's father but either his grandfather or not related. I thought the entire labor scare was the best part of the entire show. Love it when Esme discovers she's not quite as smart or devious as almost the entire population of Port Charles!
          • savytabby
            Soap Addict
            • May 2014

I like Esme. She has potential. I think the pregnancy will be a growth period for her, and I’m hoping she escapes Nik’s clutches. I’m not liking him in this story nor Liz. Esme feeling Ace kicking was/is the start of her turnaround. JMHO

Comment

• Shellyinphx
              Shellyinphx commented
              Editing a comment
              I actually don't think Esme has reached the point of no return yet. She hasn't raped anyone, yes she's done horrible things but not so horrible as most of the leading characters on this show

• AnotherSonnyKid
              AnotherSonnyKid commented
              Editing a comment
              Shellyinphx Right? Just look at the history of the current leading ladies and Esme is not that bad after all.

• Shellyinphx
              Shellyinphx commented
              Editing a comment
              Leading ladies, leading men.. not many actual good people in town
          • PinkDiamond
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Apr 2007

Didn't Esme only sleep with Nikolas in August...so that was only 3 months ago...so why would she believe the baby would be ready to be delivered now...so if she actually is pregnant and fell for that then she's further along than she's letting on...which mean Nicolas can't be the father

Comment

• ForeverPluto
              ForeverPluto commented
              Editing a comment
              My theory has been that Spencer is actually the father. I think the result she had with him was a false negative. Plus given how this soap is with couple angst, the inevitable baby reveal of Spencer being the daddy after all will be just the thing that brings more conflict to Spencer and Trina's would-be union.

• CarnyQueen
              CarnyQueen commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought Esme and Nikolas had sex around June 1, which because of episode delays might have been meant to be late May.

• lala214
              lala214 commented
              Editing a comment
              Time means nothing on a soap opera so I wouldn’t take that as a sign for anything!
          • CarnyQueen
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by LBD12 View Post
            Here’s the thing though, I’m sure the actress has her fans but from most of what I see people don’t WANT Esme to “grow.” They want her to pay for all the harm that she has caused. And they especially don’t want “Esme and Nik to grow” together. Ew. He could be her father.

And sure Liz provided five minutes of amusement when she called Esme’s bluff but she’s hardly badass Lizzie in all this. She’s getting manipulated and played by Nikolas just like she always is. Is she really fooling herself into thinking Nikolas is somehow doing an unselfish public service by keeping Esme locked up? Or he doesn’t think she’d get adequate prenatal care in prison? She isn’t even seeing a doctor or getting ultrasounds now!! Not to mention her blood pressure and growth/heartbeat checks. Nikolas has Esme locked up because he doesn’t want Ava and Spencer to find out she’s pregnant. Probably Laura and Victor to some extent too. This will inevitably end with Nikolas saying she was shook from seeing her parents and not thinking clearly while she pleads with Cameron and Finn for their forgiveness.
            I certainly don't want to see Esme grow and be normalized. I know that some viewers are thinking she could be a future girlfriend for a post-Joss Cam, and my answer to that is Hell to the no!

I do want to find how who Esme's mother is and who her estranged siblings are.

I want her to have a spectacular fall where she learns once and for all that she is just a pawn to Ryan and that he really is a psycho. At times she has refused to believe that he killed people, and I want Esme's eyes opened.

Then I want Esme to pay for the crimes we saw her commit: Recording Joss and Cam having sex, releasing the video and framing Trina. She can go to Pentonville. She can be shipped off to D'Archam, or somewhere far, far offscreen.

But it's time for GH to stop trying to keep sex offenders on canvas.

Comment

• wfreshie2130
              Executive Poster
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by parker joe View Post
              Morally, I understand your point. Anyone deserves proper health care. And Nikolas, in spite of having unlimited resources, doesn't really seem to have a plan to safeguard the health of "his" child. (Until there's at least two untampered DNA tests, I refuse to believe he's really the father of this child. Esme's go-to move when she wants something is to bat her eyes at the nearest male. I'm not going to be surprised if at some point, we find out she screwed Oz, Rory, or anyone who physically resembled Spencer and Nik to get pregnant) I can understand Nik's point about having the child born in prison, which anyone would tell you is a hotbed of illness with substandard medical care.

But count me in the group who has no sympathy for Esme. People are pawns to her. She can't cry foul when she gets the same treatment.
              I did a little looking around.......someone posted that nick first questioned that the baby was his and esme refused to get tested while pregnant ( they I think are referring to the putting a needle through the belly to get a sample of the amniotic fluid)

BUT we have great technology today! for $800.00 you draw a blood sample from the pregnant mother as early as 7 weeks pregnant and get a cheek swab from nick ..the test is called NIPPT ( non invasive prenatal paternity test)...they extract cell free dna from the mom to be's plasma , which also contains a certain proportion of the fetal DNA.

this is so simple non invasive and nick can certainly afford the price

Comment

• varnish7
                varnish7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually, Esme had no problem with a paternity test. She just wanted to make sure it would be safe for her baby.

This may be unpopular, but I really hope that Nikolas turns out to be the father of Esme's baby. Out of all the possibilities, I think this has the most potential for soapy drama. Also, making someone else the father at this point would just be a cheap twist. So, I don't want Esme's pregnancy to be hysterical. I don't want Spencer to somehow be the father even though he and Esme hadn't slept together in months. I don't want Esme to have slept with some random guy. I don't want her to be carrying an alien symbiote. I want Esme to give birth to Nikolas's child and I want there to be as much drama as possible.

• truffle89
                truffle89 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hard for me to have sympathy for Esme even if she is locked up while pregnant. This is Esme we're talking about. Up until now (I'm sure they're gonna go with the Esme after feeling "Ace" move is suddenly all loving mother) but up until now, she has viewed "Ace" as her pawn and as a means to achieve her goals. As for the people piling on Nikolas for depriving Esme of Ob care, I'm with parker joe: do we actually think Esme was getting it pre-North Tower lockup? I doubt she had time to squeeze in ultrasounds & check-ups while trying to sneak in to see her psycho daddy from across the border. So spare me the outrage she has that she's not getting access to care. So who knows what's exactly growing in there.... Never mind, again, it's poor writing that a bilionaire like Nikolas wouldn't be able to hide a whole maternity ward to work discreetly but has to rely on a nurse (that's not even an OB nurse loll).

Actually ..the most potential for soapy drama is that if the baby is Spencer's. The Spencer brigade doesn't want to acknowledge it but ..it's true. If the baby is Nik's, at most, it breaks up Nava. Spencer/Nikolas is already broken so it’s not like this make any significant change towards that ?‍♀️ The baby would still be the “spare”. If the baby is Spencer’s - then the baby becomes the heir of the Cassadine heir…and you have chaos from that that can play years later in addition to friction between Nava, Sprina ?

• parker joe
                parker joe commented
                Editing a comment
                Honestly, I think it's a coin toss whether Spencer or Nik being the daddy is more "dramatic". On one hand, I can't believe the writers would want to stick a bunch of barely 20 somethings with a baby, on the other, Nik's relationships with Ava and Spencer are already so broken, it's not like him being the father would matter.

The real drama? Ryan's "grandchild" (I'm not convinced he's Esme's father yet...) being in proximity to Ava. It gives Ryan the illusion that their fates continue to be connected. JMO.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X