Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Peter doesn't work as a strong villain

Why Peter doesn't work as a character...

There are two types of "villains" we generally accept on soaps

1) The big bad wolf villain. With or without twirling mustache, they do really bad and irreversible harm, like killing people.

These guys and gals usually have a rather long arc to kick off. Then they are squashed. After that they randomly reappear and are squashed again. The appearances have a rather good length between them.

2) The always causing trouble but always getting foiled before anyone gets hurt, villain.

These folks usually hang around and cause trouble, indefinitely.

The reason Peter doesn't work is that he is a type 1, but he never gets squashed and he never goes away

In the minority, but I love Peter, excellent as a bad guy, he's no worse than other bad guys, and I like the actor I discovered in "Charmed".

Comment

• kahinamah
      kahinamah commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes actors deserve medals for those who write for their character and have to do it accordingly.

• FullestHarp43
      FullestHarp43 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love him to. Very funny and entertaining to watch

• kahinamah
      kahinamah commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see I'm not the only one loving it.

He’s a vampire. That’s the only explanation I can come up with.

Comment

• Mariko
      Mariko commented
      Editing a comment
      Caleb is a shadow of a character in comparison to Barnabas Collins. Now he had depth. There was a vampire that regretted the evil he did and was trying to actually atone for it. No supernatural on a soap has ever worked since Dark Shadows.

• bubsmom
      bubsmom commented
      Editing a comment
      Caleb was hot!
      Peter is like a vampire as in he is seemingly immortal and as OLTLBoomer said, he sucks the life out of everything.

• OLTLBoomer
      OLTLBoomer commented
      Editing a comment
      Mariko - Two different characters.
      Barnabas was changed by Angelique due to rejection and lived a life of angst.
      Caleb was changed by his father( king of the vampires)' wife, as he wanted no part of that life. Caleb was angry at being a vampire, and when he attempted to change his love, he killed her. Caleb was a Heathcliffe - type of personality as he was constantly brooding when he was not angry, and he was, as bubsmom stated, hot. Really.....hot.

My problem is I find him bland .When he was wooing Maxie I never saw the charm or reason she would like him so I'm not interested in him . He's not as charming as Jerry Jax & not as flat out scary as Manny so he's just boring

Comment

• Bkes Mom
      Bkes Mom commented
      Editing a comment
      Ribbonette I love Maxie but I think Peter wanted her from the start because she was Nathan's widow and carrying Nathan's child. He wanted Nathan's family.

• bubsmom
      bubsmom commented
      Editing a comment
      He was jealous of Nathan. Everyone liked Nathan. He had friends and family and a wife who loved him. Peter had and still has no one.

• perky7kc
      perky7kc commented
      Editing a comment
      Never saw him and Maxie either, no chemistry, and I don’t see Austin and Maxie, no chemistry. Just put Maxie back with Spinelli, they work.

Peter incredible villian moments were right before the Tan-O went up in flames. The actor was on fire (oops, sorry). Other than that, his talents seemed miscast in this role, IMO.
    Last edited by AMHardulak; February 4, 2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Laura Luke
      Laura Luke commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I can say that was entertaining 😄 ot did make me laugh

I have a few issues with it, but I will focus on my issues with the character.

- I hate when writers make other characters dumb so that their new villain can be shown as smart. I get the concept of a villain being the smartest person in the room, but that doesn't mean that other smart people have to be made dumb. They destroyed both Anna and Maxie by having them overlook what would be blatant red flags.
    - It bothers me that Peter, son of Faizon, has unlimited knowledge and unlimited funds. So much so that he can buy everyone and everything. Even pay more than a Cassadine to get people to join his side?
    - I hate that he cannot seem to die. I'm used to villains being "dead", and returning some time later...but this dude has done this many times within a short time span and I'm just over it.

They over did it, and i am over him.

Comment

• perky7kc
      perky7kc commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said, totally agree. Also, I hate when they insult the viewers.

• GHWATCH
      GHWATCH commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent points and I totally agree with everything you said. GH seems to be doing this with the last few villains in both Nell and Shiloh. Surprisingly they have allowed Liesel to remain smart. When one FF all scenes a person is in they are not working. I have done this with all 3 characters. All 3 have no redeeming SL. Helena’s interaction with Nik always added some humanity to her.

The writers have made him a cartoonish character. And I agree, the only good thing about a villian is when they get caught. His time has passed. The writers have sacrificed too many characters to prop this moron. Please make it end.
    Last edited by JCmojoe81; February 4, 2022, 09:27 PM. Reason: Negative comments about the performers themselves not permitted

Comment

I view him more as cartoon like and annoying. And even though he is evil he does not come off as intimidating. They need to go ahead and redeem him or cast him as a new character as I doubt the actor is going anywhere.

Comment

I think Peter does work as a villain.

The thing is, almost every viewer hates him with a passion. We want to see him thwarted. We want to see him die a terrible death, knowing that all his schemes will come to naught.

I don't want a villain who is painted as gray and whose bad deeds will be erased and excused and who will be seen hanging around the Metro Court or Kelly's with all the people he hurt.

I want to see a true villain meet his just desserts.

I know that Peter's reign of terror has dragged on and on, but I didn't find his "death" by being pushed down the stairs by Silas particularly satisfying.

I want a big, grand gesture, perhaps with Maxie finishing him off after telling him that Louise will never know he existed.

Comment

• thecourt99
          thecourt99 commented
          Editing a comment
          I want Peter to die, not to meet his just desserts. I want Peter to die because I don't want to see him on the screen anymore and ruin the parts of GH that I enjoy. Because of that, I don't think he's a good villain. I think Victor is a good villain. He's evil and entertaining. Peter is not. i don't care how he dies. I'd be fine with him dying off screen.

• DVX
          DVX commented
          Editing a comment
          But thats my point CarnyQueen. The reason he doesn't work as a villain is that he never gets those just deserts. If he DID then I would say he works as a villain. Even if he came back every few years (escapes etc) I could still say it works. But he never EVER gets bested by the good guys, EVER! That makes him a fail as a villain to me. Because the point of the villains on soaps is to give the good guys something to vanquish.

• bubsmom
          bubsmom commented
          Editing a comment
          I hate him but not because he is evil. I hate him because he is annoying.

Peter is a villain in the first category - he started out great, killing people to keep his secret as he was so desperate to keep his new life as a respectable person, Peter August, and not Heinrik Faison, heir apparent.
        So what happened - it was like the writers flipped a switch!!
        All of a sudden, Peter literally embraced his dark side. There was no angst, no i don't what to be this way as he trully wrestled with who he is.
        He just embraced it and went totally off the rails into Snideley. he relished who he could hurt. True - he wanted the life his half brother Nathan had - he coveted it, and the obsessive Faison nature came out.

But - OG Peter was not like that.

Comment

Originally posted by thecourt99 View Post
          I have a few issues with it, but I will focus on my issues with the character.

- I hate when writers make other characters dumb so that their new villain can be shown as smart. I get the concept of a villain being the smartest person in the room, but that doesn't mean that other smart people have to be made dumb. They destroyed both Anna and Maxie by having them overlook what would be blatant red flags.
          - It bothers me that Peter, son of Faizon, has unlimited knowledge and unlimited funds. So much so that he can buy everyone and everything. Even pay more than a Cassadine to get people to join his side?
          - I hate that he cannot seem to die. I'm used to villains being "dead", and returning some time later...but this dude has done this many times within a short time span and I'm just over it.

They over did it, and i am over him.
          I agree! You can add Valentin to the list of dumbed down people but Anna and Maxie were the worst! They definitely over did it with Peter. I am over him too!

Comment

• GHWATCH
            GHWATCH commented
            Editing a comment
            Add Felicia and Mac. I used to love Felicia, but now I’m wishing she would run off with Frisco. She is so annoying now. How are all these regular people figuring out the baby secret, but all the law enforcement and super spies cannot🤔

Peter is a two dimensional character.
          I can't believe he's been on the show for going on 5 years and his character has not been developed, theres no depth or complexity to his character.
          He's not a good villain to me and even worse, he's not at all interesting.

Comment

• Mariko
            Mariko commented
            Editing a comment
            No, Peter is one dimensional, not two. If he were two dimensional he would have a bit of regret, angst and some good qualities. He's nothing more than a one dimensional cartoon villain.

• Laura Luke
            Laura Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG 5 years has it been that long 😳

• GHWATCH
            GHWATCH commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t know how GH has kept him on this long. And lately he takes up so much airtime. Just make him go.

Originally posted by CarnyQueen View Post
          I think Peter does work as a villain.

The thing is, almost every viewer hates him with a passion. We want to see him thwarted. We want to see him die a terrible death, knowing that all his schemes will come to naught.

I don't want a villain who is painted as gray and whose bad deeds will be erased and excused and who will be seen hanging around the Metro Court or Kelly's with all the people he hurt.

I want to see a true villain meet his just desserts.

I know that Peter's reign of terror has dragged on and on, but I didn't find his "death" by being pushed down the stairs by Silas particularly satisfying.

I want a big, grand gesture, perhaps with Maxie finishing him off after telling him that Louise will never know he existed.
          I don't think anyone wants Peter to be given shades of gray, and become a villain who's actions are ignored or excused to have him hang around.

I also think we need to put it into context how and why many viewers hate him. It's not like a Manny Ruiz, Helena or even his father love to hate situation. I can't speak for everyone. But he's just not a great villain or character. He's lame for one thing. But none of his actions or wins feel earned, simply because everyone else is made to look inept for his shenanigans to continue.

Comment

• CarnyQueen
            CarnyQueen commented
            Editing a comment
            I wasn't watching during Manny Ruiz's reign of terror, but I never loved to hate Faison -- I just thought he was gross. And I can't say that I ever felt that Helena's wins were earned -- she got away with stuff and people were powerless to stop her. And sometimes I found her tiresome -- like when she kept popping up to kidnap Robin, or the Lady in White stuff. I like Peter as an over-the-top villain, but he needs to go when the Louise arc wraps.

The only place he'd probably work as a villain is in an 80's cartoon...and probably not even there.

Comment

• Laura Luke
            Laura Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe Scooby-Doo but not even then 🤔

• GHWATCH
            GHWATCH commented
            Editing a comment
            Laura Luke this is hilarious and he is like Scooby Doo, but such a long episode where the meddling kids never get it right😅

After reading today’s recap, I have officially deleted GH from my DVR. This Peter getting away with everything and escaping from so-called professionals is too much for me to bear. He is a horrible villain. Reminds me of Snidely Whiplash. I think Frank likes to torture the majority of us who can’t stand this character.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X