• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AMHardulak
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Jan 2009

Story line summaries given by characters

As Jason told the group about Harmony's back story, I noted that this was the third time in the last week that a character provided history for whomever was within earshot. Are the writers trying to help out newer viewers? (For me, it seemed like there has been a lot of educating in a brief period of time).
  • Francophile
    Board Regular
    • Nov 2015

I noticed that, too! Maybe TPTB are trying to make it easier for new viewers to get “caught up” with plot lines. Sometimes it’s a good refresher for long-time viewers, too, unless they start belaboring the storytelling!

Comment

• parker joe
      I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
      • Feb 2005

They do it all the time. Most of the time it's just recapping what happened the last couple weeks, not as far ago and not for people who are completely unconnected to the plot.

Comment

• Francophile
        Francophile commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it seemed weird today because Jason is usually not so chatty!!

• parker joe
        parker joe commented
        Editing a comment
        AMHardulak LOL...and that's the only part of the story that's stayed consistent. Yep, sometimes it comes in handy. I was so not into the Nik/Hayden story.

• donnagbsn
        donnagbsn commented
        Editing a comment
        I too found it especially odd that Jason of all people was opening up….to Valentin…..about other people’s business really. So unlike Jason.
    • Bobaloo
      Board Regular
      • Apr 2020

It's a common soap writing device. I believe the assumption is with a daily show that's run for decades, the writers assume that many viewers don't remember every nuance to every scene, or history is shifting slightly so they need to reset the parameters for everyone, so they have characters give recap in dialogue.

Steve Burton and Bradford Anderson have spoken many times about this specific type of dialogue on their podcast. If I recall correctly, Steve was even joking a few weeks ago about how much recap dialogue he had in a recent week of shooting - maybe he was referencing filming this set of scenes.

Comment

• AMHardulak
        AMHardulak commented
        Editing a comment
        ^^That is interesting, Bobaloo!

• MalteseBaby
        MalteseBaby commented
        Editing a comment
        Bobaloo, thank you for the backstory from Steve and Bradford!
    • Clementine15
      Scriptwriter
      • May 2015

Originally posted by parker joe View Post
      They do it all the time. Most of the time it's just recapping what happened the last couple weeks, not as far ago and not for people who are completely unconnected to the plot.
      l don't remember it being done before in quite this ham-handed way. And Jason's out-of-character performance, just hmmmm. What meaning could there be for Valentine and Austin to learn about these things. Guess if there is a reason for it, we will find out.

Comment

• parker joe
        parker joe commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldn't believe Austin just stood there in the background as the Willow/Harmony scene played out. He might as well have had a flashing neon sign over his head. He's going to figure out a way to use it to his advantage. He's slowly gathering up Quartermaine secrets. Just wait.
    • believeinme246
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Jan 2015

Gloria Monty used to use that on in-between days. I still remember the conversation between Audrey and Leslie the day after the showdown of the left-handed boy.

Audrey: Frank Smith is a criminal.
      Leslie: A criminal?
      Audrey: Yes. A criminal.

I remember it so clearly and haven't seen it on recording since that original day. The conversation was so inane.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
      Working...
      X