i dont get why this show acts like being in a wheelchair is a fate worse than death

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brigros
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Mar 2007

i dont get why this show acts like being in a wheelchair is a fate worse than death

ABC Has had 2 shows dedicated to people with disabilities, one of the main characters having severe CP but on a soap, if you're in a wheelchair your life is over and you must walk again or you're not a man
  • Logan13
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Feb 2010

It probably depends on the person. Losing a lifelong ability can affect people differently. A couple of years ago I almost thought I was going to lose a foot and I literally cried after being told but then I was ready to deal with what happened after. Luckily there was another alternative and I still have my foot even though I loss some toe movement that I'll never have again. I think it's a pride issue as well. I also have to note that on GH at least so far this has mostly happened from what I've seen to people that would probably react like this. With Sonny I think it was self explanatory and Chase is a police officer. I can see how not being able to walk (they really should have focused more on the job aspect rather than the willow aspect) would affect a detective.
    Last edited by Logan13; July 30, 2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• alice1228303
      alice1228303 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well there a couple of difference with Ironside and Chase. Raymond Burr played the Chief Inspector on the show.
      Raymond/Ironside were in their 50's when the show started, there is an emotional difference between the two characters.
      Chase is in his late 20's early 30's so the motivation to get him up and walking is more dramatic. And there is the possibilty he could get better. He is not been told he will never walk again.
      Ironside took a bullet to the spinal cord, not a chance he would ever walk again.
      The writers are trying to make Chase not walking again a dramatic story.

• Logan13
      Logan13 commented
      Editing a comment
      lala214 Thanks. It was a few years ago and I had a rare form of sarcoma in my foot. After surgery a few months later it was found they weren't able to get it all and more surgery wasn't an option. At first they thought taking the foot was the safest way to keep it from possibly spreading to my legs but they decided that Gleevec was a better option. All of my MRIs have been clear since.

• lala214
      lala214 commented
      Editing a comment
      Woo-Hoo!!! So happy to hear that!!
  • brigros
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Logan13 View Post
    It probably depends on the person. Losing a lifelong ability can affect people differently. A couple of years ago I almost thought I was going to lose a foot and I literally cried after being told but then I was ready to deal with what happened after. Luckily there was another alternative and I still have my foot even though I loss some toe movement that I'll never have again. I think it's a pride issue as well.
    yes but people with disabilities are treated with pity everyday and this doesn't help things

Comment

• MilesMills
      Day Player
      • Dec 2020

I don't get where in the world you are getting that from. Ridiculous. Anyone with a injury wants to get better. I just had surgery and will not have use of one arm for 6 weeks. Is that a fate worse that death? Not to me. Perhaps to you. Why wouldn't Chase want to regain his ability to walk. It is not like there is no chance he will walk again do he has given up.

Comment

• brigros
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MilesMills View Post
        I don't get where in the world you are getting that from. Ridiculous. Anyone with a injury wants to get better. I just had surgery and will not have use of one arm for 6 weeks. Is that a fate worse that death? Not to me. Perhaps to you. Why wouldn't Chase want to regain his ability to walk. It is not like there is no chance he will walk again do he has given up.
        because people in with disabilities watch this show. they are treated with pity everyday and to have peopel magically walk again doesn't help he way they're seen. i said its TREATED as a fate worse ha death. you missed my point

Comment

• brigros
          brigros commented
          Editing a comment
          it stlil doesn't c hange that every time someone ends up paralyzed or in a wheelchair they walk again

• Maxiegirl
          Maxiegirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Chase isn’t paralyzed. He’s just temporarily unable to walk because of his condition. So it’s not like he could ever walk. It was just a matter of time before he could.

He almost died. He is now in a wheelchair temporarily for his condition which isn’t permanent. Of course he wants to get better and to walk!
          Last edited by Maxiegirl; July 31, 2021, 03:28 PM.

• Wanda Wolek
          Wanda Wolek commented
          Editing a comment
          I understand what you are saying brigros, but Chase isn't the best example. Sonny would be.
      • OLTLBoomer
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Mar 2010

If Chase is treated with pity, it is because of what the character is going through due to the actions of a villain: It is awful what Chase is going through: he almost died. He is an active person who is coming to terms with his situation. He wants to be well. I have sympathy for the character!
        He is unhappy - and yes, that he is unable to make love to the woman he is married to is a common complaint for any male who is disabled in any way, be it temporary or permanent. AS a nurse over the last 45+ years, I have witnessed this first hand in many different situations be in clinic, hospital, or someone coming to terms with the side effects of medications!!
        Are you wanting TPTB to make Chase permamently disabled and write for him in this manner?
        I apologize, as I am missing your point.
        I do not see anyone looking down on Chase, or treating him that he is invisible. I see characters who are helping him to be a part in activities and life, instead of transferring him to a rehab center to be visited at specific times. I see a character who is desparately trying to get back to his normal - and yes, he is frustrated at his progress.

Comment

• franron
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Oct 2005

To me, the show treats a 'broken heart' as a fate worse than death. Must do anything/everything necessary to prevent that, or else the world will end, as far as the brokenhearted are concerned.

Comment

• Maxiegirl
            Maxiegirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I do think the writers are doing this to make it look like Chase just can’t go on without Willow in order to prop Willow as the greatest woman ever on the planet so the fact she’s with Michael instead means he’s the ultimate winner!

• Jerze
            Jerze commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep to franron and Maxiegirl on this one. To be continued once the truth comes out and we know it's going to be because he wheels up on some intimate act between Willow and Michael. They are treating this man like a small child. Hopefully Brooklyn will be around to talk him off the ledge or whatever dramatic thing he is going to contemplate. I'm not a Brooklyn fan but those two might work.
        • brigros
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by OLTLBoomer View Post
          If Chase is treated with pity, it is because of what the character is going through due to the actions of a villain: It is awful what Chase is going through: he almost died. He is an active person who is coming to terms with his situation. He wants to be well. I have sympathy for the character!
          He is unhappy - and yes, that he is unable to make love to the woman he is married to is a common complaint for any male who is disabled in any way, be it temporary or permanent. AS a nurse over the last 45+ years, I have witnessed this first hand in many different situations be in clinic, hospital, or someone coming to terms with the side effects of medications!!
          Are you wanting TPTB to make Chase permamently disabled and write for him in this manner?
          I apologize, as I am missing your point.
          I do not see anyone looking down on Chase, or treating him that he is invisible. I see characters who are helping him to be a part in activities and life, instead of transferring him to a rehab center to be visited at specific times. I see a character who is desparately trying to get back to his normal - and yes, he is frustrated at his progress.
          willlow is staying with him because he's disabled. how is that not pity? and he's saying he's not a real man beause of the chair yeah I would like more disabled pople portrayed in a soap. everytime someone does end upb disabled they walk again.

Comment

• Wanda Wolek
            Wanda Wolek commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone needs to rent Chase a copy of "Coming Home", a 1978 film about a paralyzed Vietnam vet who finds love with Jane Fonda. And gives her the orgasm of her life! ? It's actually a very good film that parallels Fonda's husband, who comes back from Vietnam emotionally damaged, and Jon Voigt, who is the paralyzed vet.

• OLTLBoomer
            OLTLBoomer commented
            Editing a comment
            @Brigos - I get that you desire to show more real life disabled. You have a point. The spin -off "Port Charles" had a resdient in a w/c.
            I think most viewers/ posters do pity, feel sorry for Chase for the situation that he is in and if this were real life, would be enccouraging him in his recovery. Nowhere has anyone indicted that the paralysis is permanent and for him to live with it. As far as your comment regardin Willow staying with him out of pity - "that" is a whole 'nuther thread that has been addressed many times on the board.
        • Lesliesusan
          Newcomer
          • Mar 2021

Chase was shown. as very active and in all kinds of sports being bedridden for weeks and now in a wheelchair has turned his life upside down. Brooklyn was devastated when her throat was cut because she is a singer now she is starting to see her life will go on without music.

Comment

• JaySherman
            JaySherman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, there is an adjustment period when one goes through a change like this. Over time one usually comes to understand their life is not over and they can adjust.

He may be ok in the end but its not an instantaneous process. It takes time
        • brigros
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lesliesusan View Post
          Chase was shown. as very active and in all kinds of sports being bedridden for weeks and now in a wheelchair has turned his life upside down. Brooklyn was devastated when her throat was cut because she is a singer now she is starting to see her life will go on without music.
          people in wheelchairs can play sports. look up recreation therapy. i Remember when matthew on OLTL was paralyzed and nora was saying he could never play sports again and never even mentioning wheelchair basketball etc. they only focused on what he couldn't do,l not what he could. thats whast bothers me when anyone end up disabled on a soap
          Last edited by brigros; July 31, 2021, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• MalteseBaby
            Scriptwriter
            • Aug 2009

brigros There used to be people with some degree of mobility impairment on soaps. I know this doesn't help your feelings now, but there was a very beloved actress on " The Young and the Restless" who was first in walking braces, later in a WC. She was Jack Abbott's personal secretary, and she was so beloved. She had Poliomyelitis at the age of 6 months, which left her with lifelong mobility issues.

This is her Wikipedia biography. She was beautiful inside and out.

Comment

• JaySherman
              JaySherman commented
              Editing a comment
              There is also Mitch Longley who played Matt Harmon on Port Charles. Matt was a doctor in a wheelchair and was on the show until they switched to more of the supernatural aspect and moved the focus away from the hospital.

There was Lila Quartermaine who had many issues during her time on the show with her last few years being in a wheel chair.

Over on OLTL, when GL fired Michael Zaslow, they brought him back as David Renaldi and wrote his ALS into the script giving David the same illness. He was on the show until he could no longer act and passed away.

OLTL also had Frankie Holden who was diagnosed with significant hearing loss. His father Max struggled with the diagnosis but later accepted it and helped his son
              Last edited by JaySherman; August 2, 2021, 10:46 AM.
          • OLTL'69
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Apr 2011

I don't think it is being shown that badly. Of course at first there is an adjustment. I do not get really what the problem is. I thought it was not so much that the poison paralyzed him but atrophy? (this was dumb because he was not in bed that long dang compared to Lucas, Michael or Nina) Now I am thinking that then there should not be a physical reason that he and Willow can't... (unlike a spinal injury)

But anyway there is an adjustment
            Yes he could start sports. We will have the para-olympics soon

Comment

• clamcat
              Executive Poster
              • Sep 2005

I think Chase’s reaction is realistic FOR THE CHARACTER. He’s a young, physically active person who suddenly and unexpectedly lost his mobility. He’s been told the loss is likely temporary. In my opinion, Chase’s frustration and impatience is consistent with how I would expect him to react.

GH could show Chase in physical therapy with other patients who are not expected to regain the use of their legs. He could hear and see how they are progressing. This would show that “being in a wheelchair is not a fate worse than death.” GH sometimes takes this approach when they want to educate the public about a disease or condition. But that’s different than having a character do things they wouldn’t naturally do.

Comment

• believeinme246
                Aspiring soap scribe
                • Jan 2015

Ironically, Blue Bloods recently had a story like this about a female cop now in a wheelchair, who Frank wanted to limit to desk duty while she was convinced she could still be effective on active patrol.

I can absolutely understand this young man feeling horrible about being limited to a chair, when he was previously very physical and a cop. With time, he could learn to adapt so that he can live a new normal life, but it is very real that it would take time to adapt. Heck, even very elderly people think it's the end of the world when they're in a wheelchair and require support just to go to the rest room.

Comment

• regalbeagle
                  Executive Poster
                  • Dec 2018

I wouldn't expect anyone to accept losing the ability to walk within weeks of it happening. GH is being realistic.
                  Last edited by regalbeagle; August 2, 2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• JaySherman
                    JaySherman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same here. It wouldn't make much sense to go straight from discovering a disability to being completely fine with it.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                Working...
                X