Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelle's lawsuit against GH

There is no way that a single lawsuit by Nelle should bring a hospital to its knees. I worked in medical malpractice for 8 years. Hospitals are constantly getting sued. In Nelle's case, what are her damages? The surgery went well. You have to have damages in order to be compensated. Besides that, the hospital is only responsible for seeing that the consent form is signed. They don't investigate to see if it's a forgery especially if a parent is there obviously consenting. Even if she were to say Bobbie knew she wouldn't consent, any of the staff members could say they thought she had a change of heart when they saw her signed consent because she was doing what was right for the patient. They're not detectives. She has no case. All this is stupid. Just like her selling shares she doesn't legally own yet. Ridiculous. And we are supposed to believe she does all this blackmail and harm to two notorious mob families, and she's still breathing.

I agree. I know they mumble jumbled about malpractice insurance not covering this one. But you are right about the damages. They might have to let Wiley be examined by another doctor to prove he is in good health

Comment

It seems that every few years, the hospital needs saving. Didn't Finn just give his royalties to the hospital for the drug he discovered? Maybe they need a better manager instead of more money. They could save a lot of money by making the nurses work instead of socializing all day. All Elizabeth does is visit with people, look at the computer, and shuffle files around. Real nurses don't have time to have long conversations with their friends during their shift!

Comment

Yes, the hospital always needs saving every few years! Finn gave his money for discovering the miracle cure to bolster the hospital. Franco gave some of his art sale earnings to GH for the art therapy program. Before that Liesl used some of her ill-gotten gains to fund the hospital, which was how she bought the chief of staff position even though her medical license had been revoked because she was performing unethical experiments on humans. But now one little lawsuit has brought it to its knees again!

Nelle's lawsuit would be a mere annoyance for GH's lawyers. And the idea that the malpractice insurers wouldn't defend Monica and Bobbie is also pretty ludicrous.

What are Nelle's damages? The surgery helped Wiley and actually revealed that his problem was more serious than previously thought. The child's father consented. The mother doesn't have custody or even visitation rights at this point and the judge in that case just cited her constant lying.

Comment

That's what I thought too, don't tell me she is the only lawsuit that is going to bring GH to it's knees.
          Didn't someone use the word mis-management or something to that tune, I think when talking about Monica????

Comment

I agree it seems like a minor problem for them or should be especially considering everything turned out well. I think it could be more about hospitals doing procedures that a parent doesn’t want. Definitely anethical issue and I can see both sides in different ways. So it could be bad publicity? Always going against the parents? I know they don’t and parents sometimes don’t have the child’s best interest although most are probably sincere.

To me it’s the kind of thing that makes Nelle look worse and more about herself than Wylie.
            Last edited by Emerald Greens; August 13, 2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I really can'tsee how this one would be SO much worse than any other. There must have been families of someone who died who sued. I guess that would be covered

Well now Michael should have the powere to approve the next surgery

Comment

Of course, it's all storyline dictated and as ridiculous as Nelle being out of jail. However, it's making a good story with the Q's & Val

Comment

So hospitals are allowed to perform surgery without proper consent?

Comment

Originally posted by kristendny View Post
                    There is no way that a single lawsuit by Nelle should bring a hospital to its knees. I worked in medical malpractice for 8 years. Hospitals are constantly getting sued. In Nelle's case, what are her damages? The surgery went well. You have to have damages in order to be compensated. Besides that, the hospital is only responsible for seeing that the consent form is signed. They don't investigate to see if it's a forgery especially if a parent is there obviously consenting. Even if she were to say Bobbie knew she wouldn't consent, any of the staff members could say they thought she had a change of heart when they saw her signed consent because she was doing what was right for the patient. They're not detectives. She has no case. All this is stupid. Just like her selling shares she doesn't legally own yet. Ridiculous. And we are supposed to believe she does all this blackmail and harm to two notorious mob families, and she's still breathing.
                    Well Nelle doesn't have damages other then the PTSD it caused her from her own stolen kidney procedure, but Wylie has to have additional surgeries for the rest of his life as a result of a complication during the procedure, or that is what I got from the conversation with Monica and Bobbie after the unauthorized surgery. Also, don't forget Bobbie shredded the paperwork once she realized what happened, so there is no signed consent form to present to a court. That and Monica/Bobbie's family involvement is why the underwriters and insurance are not willing to fight law suit on behalf of Bobbie/Monica or the Hospital.

Comment

• OLTL'69
                      OLTL'69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wylie's need for surgery wasn't from complications but just part of the written condition.In fact it kind of "justified" what they did or at least that it was right to do the surgery I don't think anyone is saying that they are blameless but it would not be the type of money that would put the hospital under

• Manninglover87
                      Manninglover87 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wiley doesn’t have to have surgeries for the rest of his life. I believe he has to have one more additional surgery, and was not because she of the first surgery. The suet was performed correctly and successfully. Wiley was always going to have to have a second surgery. The damage to his heart was more extensive than they realized. The surgery itself had nothing to do with it. In fact the surgery allowed them to see how badly damaged his heart was, so it was very helpful.

Originally posted by kristendny View Post

As someone with a law background, you are 100% correct...it's one of those times when we have to forgive the writing and the story and just let it be, so that we can watch all of these now dramatic changes come into play.

Similar to law enforcement and politicians/public officials, there are protections in place and immunities in medicine. It is exceedingly rare that there are liability payouts in terms of percentages in these fields (altho they can be huge when they happen, hence huge insurance premiums), and in Nelle's case, there is nothing going on there at all that could even remotely threaten the hospital; the way they're approaching the forgery aspect isn't even realistic, handwriting has no bearing on what signatures actually are and how they function in documents, even tho courts can and do make carnivals out of stuff like that, and she would have an awfully tough time proving any kind of actual damage with any actual evidence.

But it's fun regardless.

Comment

• kristendny
                      kristendny commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you. You are right, it is fun once you ignore the silliness.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X