• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DebbieAnn
    Board Regular
    • Feb 2012

Sonny's end-of-life decisions for Mike

Today's show was realistic in the end of life decisions. Mom died in December 2004 from Alzheimer's . She didn't stop eating but the doctor infomed us that it would be necessary to have a feeding tube. My brother & I knew Mom wouldn't want that & said no. Less than a week later she passed after aspirating ice cream. Sonny's decision was right to think of what Mike would want & to have dignity with feeding tubes & feeding tubes.

Bravo to the writers & actors.
  • militarymom
    Contract Poster
    • Nov 2019

This was very realistic. Such a difficult decision. Thankfully my father had a dnr, and stipulated no feeding tube,

Comment

• Sam_Philly_Girl
      Board Regular
      • May 2018

Please accept my sympathies for losing your mother to ALZ. I lost my wife to it last August.

This story has been so realistically done, but with good taste dramatically, that it's been therapeutic for me.

Everything Sonny, as a caregiver, has gone through is true to life. The good decisions, the mistakes....

Comment

• DebbieAnn
        DebbieAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. mts mts
    • littleliz
      I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
      • Nov 2016

I am hoping Sonny doesn't put his dad on a feeding tube. Good that he got some info from Liz cause his dad wouldn't
      want to be on a breathing tube too. Sonny is killing this storyline.

Comment

• carson288208
        Contract Poster
        • May 2010

My BFF lost her Mother and Father to Alzheimer's. Her Mother died in 2008 and her Father died June of last year. I was by her side for both of her parents deaths and the struggles and choices she had to make, broke my heart. This is very realistic indeed and i see my BFF in Sonny right now.

Comment

• CassadineFan
          Recurring Poster
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by littleliz View Post
          I am hoping Sonny doesn't put his dad on a feeding tube. Good that he got some info from Liz cause his dad wouldn't
          want to be on a breathing tube too. Sonny is killing this storyline.
          Sonny needs someone to talk to him. Liz is close enough he won't just dismiss her information. She also is removed enough to tell him the truth. There is no easy choice. I applaud them showing Sonny struggling and other people having actions being based on what they are seeing/ knowing. I may not agree with Jason cutting Sam out of that choice , but I can understand it

Comment

• ForeverPluto
            Contract Poster
            • Aug 2008

I feel for Sonny because it's a horrible position to be put in. Kudos to the writers to showing the realistic side to being the loved one who has to make these end-of-life decisions.

Sonny is lucky in a way because he had supportive people in his corner to help him through. In my family's case, my grandfather didn't have the living will or DNR and it was a mess of constant family in-fighting, etc. Situations like that truly make the knives come out in people who you would never think could be so vicious in how they fight for a loved one's best interest, at least in their eyes. I wouldn't wish that part on anyone. In my Grandpa's case, it actually pulled the family apart when it should have brought us closer together.

Comment

• ghfan96
              Executive Poster
              • Dec 2004

Elizabeth was absolutely the best person to have that conversation with him, not only as a nurse but as a friend to both Sonny and Mike. The honesty of telling him that no matter what, Mike will die and warmth of using Mary Mae’s words was perfect, and that scene was so wonderfully underplayed by both Maurice and Becky.
              Last edited by ghfan96; August 5, 2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Bella Scorpio
                Contract Poster
                • Feb 2013

I was bawling my eyes out today watching Liz and Sonny talk. My mother suffered from Alzheimer's and my family had to make similar decisions. Everything that Sonny is going through has brought back so many very real memories for me. I can't say enough how great a job the writers have done with this story line (aside from that side track into the dead body of the guy Sonny killed when he was younger). My decision as my mother's medical power of attorney was a bit different, she had an infection from diabetes and they wanted to keep chopping off her leg. I knew my mom would not want to keep going through all the surgeries and the struggles to follow after the surgeries. We ultimately let the infection take its course and she passed quite peacefully on hospice. It hurt so much, but I know it is what she would have wanted. She couldn't make any decisions for herself anymore and she relied on me and my family to make those decisions for her.

Comment

• LittlePea
                  Board Regular
                  • Jul 2016

This entire s/l has been done so well. These past few episodes were an example of how the show can really affect the viewers, especially in our current situation. Even if we’re young and healthy, it’s so important to make the decision of DNR and advanced directives when we are healthy. That way your wishes will be carried out, not what someone thinks are your wishes. My uncle contracted COVID-19 while in a rehab facility recovering from a fall. Thankfully for my mother and his children, he had a DNR so his suffering was not prolonged and his family didn’t have to make the decision which most likely would not have been a unanimous one. I too applaud the writers for this storyline!

Comment

• Sam_Philly_Girl
                    Board Regular
                    • May 2018

Originally posted by ghfan96 View Post
                    Elizabeth was absolutely the best person to have that conversation with him, not only as a nurse but as a friend to both Sonny and Mike. The honesty of telling him that no matter what, Mike will die and warmth of using Mary Mae’s words was perfect, and that scene was so wonderfully underplayed by both Maurice and Becky.
                    I have to include Felix because he cared enough that he risked his job (violating HIPPA) to show Sonny what Yvonne was going through because of the feeding tube.

Comment

• mauimama11
                      Board Regular
                      • Jul 2020

I very seldom cry over ANY soap 'tragedy" but yesterday's SONNY and MIKE's scenes had me bawling like a baby! My dear son-in-law JUST went thru this with his father just 3 weeks ago and I literally could SEE my SIL and his father, instead of Sonny and Mike's faces! My sympathy to all of you posters who have lost someone like this. The writers did this one perfectly -- I cried the hardest when I saw the tear falling down Sonny's cheek...

Comment

• wfreshie2130
                        wfreshie2130 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yes when sonny said it was ok to go to sleep and go and the tears down his dads face I just sobbed...I am in tears just reading this thread...... in this time it is good to remind people to have DNRS in place have things in order...you never know what tomorrow will bring
                    • michangelina
                      Contract Poster
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DebbieAnn View Post
                      Today's show was realistic in the end of life decisions. Mom died in December 2004 from Alzheimer's . She didn't stop eating but the doctor infomed us that it would be necessary to have a feeding tube. My brother & I knew Mom wouldn't want that & said no. Less than a week later she passed after aspirating ice cream. Sonny's decision was right to think of what Mike would want & to have dignity with feeding tubes & feeding tubes.

Bravo to the writers & actors.
                      So sorry for your lose.. Alzheimer's is just heartbreaking for anyone who has to live through that.. love and positive thoughts

Comment

• LFBHasGreatHair
                        Senior Board Member
                        • Oct 2010

Sorry, but, there is no evidence to the benefit of providing a feeding tube to a patient who no longer feels hunger. They don’t even reduce the risk of aspiration. It was entirely unethical for that physician to even suggest Sonny have Mike undergo a surgical procedure to place a feeding tube which won’t prolong survival and is for a disease with an irreversible outcome.

I am actually very upset about it as I still see people sent in from nursing homes who can’t communicate with the world around them coming in for infection or displaced tube or aspiration.

bad medicine, bad. And very selfish of Sonny to entertain the idea.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X