Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does General Hospital Have Too Many Cast Members ?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does General Hospital Have Too Many Cast Members ?

I just counted and GH has 27 contract cast members and nearly 70 on recurring. Is that too much ? I watch Y & R and Days and I think their cast is bigger than the rest. What you guys say ?

I think it’s way to big. But we only see Sonny, Jason and Carly anyway!

Comment

Yes. The cast is too big.

Comment

The bigger problem is the storytelling. (I can only guess that to get to 70, you're including children rarely seen). Airtime spent endlessly meandering through Mike's story (marrying his "friend" for example) would've been better spent anywhere else. And some story pivots seem to ignore situations that were purposely built toward. WHY on earth are we getting Valentin going after ELQ? For three years, we've been anticipating Nik strolling back into town to fight to regain his title as Cassadine heir, only to have Valentin summarily disqualified and then barely cross paths with the man. Why isn't Nik sweating about having Laura & Lulu find out he'd broken Cassandra out of jail, which resulted in Charlotte getting kidnapped? I can appreciate the hasty marriage and wanting to reestablish his friendship with Elizabeth, but it shouldn't be the entire focus of his story for four months.

Those are only a few examples, but similar situations are happening to every character and in every story.

Comment

There are too many villian stories at one time. The Cyrus storyline started as some big deal that has now sputtered to a slow stop and no one is afraid of him anymore. Sonny seems to have forgotten all about him and his drug dealing which I assume, he is still doing in PC. The Everybody Loves Wiley show has been center stage for months now.

Comment

• McShirls
            McShirls commented
            Editing a comment
            The deal he made with Sonny was that he would not push his drugs in Port Charles. I would like him gone as I don't find a murderous drug dealer entertaining.

I have always though that GH had a big cast and it keeps growing because new characters that are not needed are added to the canvas.

IMO, most of the contracted actors don't need to be on contract. No more new characters need to be added and they just need to work with the cast they have and find some balance.

Comment

I've long thought GH's cast is far too large. They have also brought on way too many "big" names since FV came on to properly accommodate on one show. There are also way too many actors who would consider themselves leads or would be considered to be leads by Frank. This show should have four leading males and four leading females and no more. There are way more people than that vying for those spots. it's essentially become impossible to accommodate them all to the point where none of them actually get proper lead stories and material. The show is a "mish mash" of nothingness,

Comment

I have long felt that we have spin-off and series in the same show. Corinthos-world could easily split off and have a show of its own, and if picked up by a cable or streaming service, they could move from gummy bear mob to something grittier and more violent.

The core families could stay, with crossovers to even out to ease the transition.

I know that this was tried once before with Night Shift, but I think that challenge was that the mob part of the show was still day time. I think that if the formula were to reverse and rather than using prime time network and instead using a media where the mob could be shown in all its glory, we would have two shows really tailored to specific audiences who love those characters, and twice the show to watch for those who love both.

Comment

I always remember the soaps averaging about 30 or so contract cast members since I started monitoring them in the mid-2000s. So GH is more or less on point there. I do think GH has an abundance of recurring cast members. But that also includes characters we may see a few times a year. So how many of them are actually used on any regular basis?

I don't think the problem is quantity, it's quality. They don't tell good stories. Good ensemble casts of large character numbers can be interesting. It's the writing.

Comment

I think it's great that general hospital has that many cast members. Also general hospital is a great soap

Comment

• geranium
                  geranium commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I totally agree!

Days has only a few characters. Everyone is related to everyone else. Everyone has been married to and/or had children with everyone else. Now the children have no one to form a relationship with because they are already lst cousins, or closer. A new character is brought onto the show, but they are a psycho, and tho everyone wants to mate with them, it won't work out, we already know, they will soon be gone. And so on. l am exaggerating, but too few characters can sink a soap far faster than too many, imo. A big cast leaves lots of room to maneuver, and all sorts of relationships and stories to develop. l like GH's large cast!

Comment

Way too many. On GH you can go weeks at a time without seeing characters.

Comment

The other remaining soaps have two few characters, there is seldom a new relationship-people break up but just go back to someone they've been in a relationship with 2 or 3 times before.

Comment

There are way too many characters. Especially if you're including children that we see a handful of times a year. It seems like the writers don't really know what to do with some characters, so they don't show them.

Comment

I think there are too many. I won't judge by pandemic eps as they re-edited a lot to stretch. But even before the pandemic it was, at times, weeks between character sightings. Throws the entire pace off.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X