Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick/Lesley vs Monica/Alan discussion

I really enjoyed this storyline from many years ago. I Noticed from other posts that I’m not the only one.

Who did you root for?

Did you sympathize with Alan as he stalked them
    when they met in secret? How about when he rigged the room to collapse on them?

Did you feel sorry for Leslie?

Whose baby did you want AJ to be Rick’s or Alan’s?

Did Rick love Monica or was it just a fling for him?

Lesley. Always rooted for Lesley. And I wanted she and Rick back together. I also liked this dark turn Alan took. It was a solid story start to finish by 4 special actors.

Comment

• MeTyme
      MeTyme commented
      Editing a comment
      I rooted for Leslie also. I also felt bad for Alan and was amused when he would follow him. I was glad AJ turned out to be Alan’s son. Very entertaining storyline and great actors.

I always rooted for Leslie. I also always felt bad for Alan, my prince charming, and when Lila revealed the birthmark that Alan had, and we learned about the rare bloodtype, I cheered for Alan. I definitely had a mad crush on him back in the day.

I really didn't hate anyone back then. I loved Rick and Leslie parenting Laura and Rick befriending Mikey through his work at the sports club. I thought that Monica was questionable with her cheating, but the Q men all cheated too. I used to laugh at Alan setting up a telescope in the house so that he could look at Susan in the cottage, and how Monica would outwardly refer to Susan as 'his mistress.' She made me laugh.

I'm not sure whether today's writers set up situations to fan wars, or it's because I read social media that I get so outraged by a character. I never was then. It was all fun past time.

Comment

• MeTyme
      MeTyme commented
      Editing a comment
      So true! I liked all of them. I rooted for Leslie and Alan who acted so serious but was amusing in the way he behaved. I forgot about the telescope until you mentioned it. He was certainly a character. I know I didn't want him to get caught or in trouble for the roof collapse. And I remember about the birthmark AJ had and how Monica tried to hide it to pretend he was Rick’s son. Then Rick had to operate on AJ thinking it was his son. I think that’s when he figured out AJ wasn’t Rick’s son due to the rare blood type. Alan announced it at a meeting Steve Hardy was leading about opening a clinic on the waterfront that Rick would run. Thats how Rick/Leslie and the rest of the town found out AJ was Alan’s. Leslie and Monica had a huge fight after it. It was So long ago but i think thats how everyone found out he was Alan’s.
      Last edited by MeTyme; June 7, 2020, 08:16 PM.

• KendallSam
      KendallSam commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's the soap boards.

I remember enjoying the drama and being entertained by it.

It was way better not arguing about characters and Storylines.

Also you didn't have all the spoilers.

You can't objectively discuss soaps with people who hate characters. I may dislike someone based on storyline but I don't hate any character.

• MeTyme
      MeTyme commented
      Editing a comment
      The storylines from back then seem so much better, Most of the storylines now are very predictable. You know who’s going to be the victor in a story so it doesn’t make it interesting to watch since you know the deal. This could likely be because of pressure from fan groups but in fact ruins a good story for all.
      They may very well be partly responsible for
      bringing the soaps down. Lately the stories have been more like fan fiction. I am fast forwarding more than I’m watching. Just too predictable and silly.
      Last edited by MeTyme; June 6, 2020, 08:07 PM.

Agree I cheered for Leslie.. I wasn't able to see everything but I wanted Leslie and Rick

Comment

Did Leslie know about the affair? If so, did she give hubby and Monica the riot act? I was a kid then and only slightly recall the popular storyline of that era. Did Lila, Tracy, and Edward know about the fling as well.

Comment

• MeTyme
        MeTyme commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Leslie knew or at least highly suspected. She was good friends with Gail and would talk to her. I was also a kid so don't remember all of it. It’s around the time I started watching GH and was amused by Alan following them. I vaguely remember him trying to blow up a building they would meet at. And then rigging the roof to collapse in the new nursery he built but everything backfired on Alan. Rick and Monica remained unscathed. 😂

I don’t remember if Lila and Edward knew. I think it was Lila who mentioned AJ had the Quartermaine birthmark to Monica so Monica then knew he was Alan’s and not Rick’s.
        Tracey probably knew. Her and Monica did not get along.
        Last edited by MeTyme; June 6, 2020, 11:25 AM.

• Batgary
        Batgary commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure Leslie knew about the affair. If she didn't she did after Monica told her AJ was Rick's when Leslie was delivering AJ. Wasn't AJ born in the Q living room?

• MeTyme
        MeTyme commented
        Editing a comment
        I think so. I don’t remember the details of why Leslie had to deliver AJ. Was there a bad storm with roads closed? Maybe that was a different birth. So long ago I forgot that part.

Kinda surprised they didn’t mention anything about Wiley having the Quartermaine’s birthmark unless they did and I missed it .
      Or the writers haven’t done their research and don’t know about circumstances of AJ’s birth so don’t know of the Q birthmark
      Or did they ever do a paternity test on Wiley? I don’t think so since they thought he was adopted so no reason. And they never did one after Brad admitted he was Nelle’s baby who she handed to him after she gave birth. We never saw Nelle in bed with anyone else however Michael and Nelle did split up while dating. Nelle’s not known for her honesty. Why wouldn't they suspect she is trying to pass him off as a Quartermaine for the fortune and at least do a test or look for the birthmark?
      They all just believe Nelle that Michael is Wiley’s father?
      Last edited by MeTyme; June 6, 2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

what a great quad they were -- I had conflicting feelings for some of them, but mostly wanted Lesley and Ric to stay together. I felt bad for Monica because she loved Ric at the time, and was fighting both Alan and Tracy, because Alan was trying to kill Monica and Rick, and Tracy was trying to prove that AJ was a Weber, not a Quartermaine. I think even Edward warned Tracy, several times, to stop looking into it. I hated Alan at the time, and was surprised several years later (long after Ric and Lesely were gone) that Alan and Monica had somehow become the heart of the show -- or, one of its hearts... GH was never the Quartermaine hour, but Alan had turned into the kindly paternal figure to Emily and Robin, even as he was exasperated with his own sons. I always wonder how different the show would be if they hadn't killed off Alan and if Ric and Lesley had stayed on

Comment

• MeTyme
          MeTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish they never killed off Alan or AJ those were bad moves by GH to turn it into the Sonny show imo.
          Now I remember about Tracey being suspicious about AJ being Rick’s. I really looked Forward to watching GH those days not so much anymore.
          Last edited by MeTyme; June 6, 2020, 02:52 PM.

I loved the entire storyline. But, I was rooting for Rick and Leslie to stay together. I was sorta rooting for Alan when he tried to kill them. I didn't want them dead, just shook up, for all the cheating they did.

Comment

• MeTyme
          MeTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel the same. I just wanted them hurt or shook up but not dead. I felt sorry for Leslie. Rick wanted a son very bad and she was infertile. Didn’t she keep it from Rick for a while that she was infertile? Monica was so proud to give him a son who turned out to be Alan’s.

I have to agree with other posters here that Lesley was the one I rooted for--although I liked Monica and Rick regardless. I was only 15 or 16 when that storyline took place so I would have only been able to watch the episodes that took place over the summer or on holidays/school breaks. Kept up with it via newspaper recaps and soap magazines though--and would LOVE it if ABC were to stream the entire period. Still hoping against hope that I'll live long enough to see ABC stream early GH and OLTL...and then live long enough to watch it all lol!

Comment

• MeTyme
          MeTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          I was in middle school. I would get home in time to see the last half hour. And watched on days off, summer vacation so I missed parts. That may be why I don’t remember the circumstances of Leslie delivering AJ
          I also wish ABC would Livestream the older storylines for us to watch again. They were so very good.
          It would be wonderful if they showed that arc now and we could all discuss it.

They might have those episodes on YouTube. I had no idea Leslie delivered AJ. Did Leslie explain why she was infertile? How old was she when she had Laura?

Comment

• MeTyme
          MeTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          This was all going on when I started watching. Back then i was in Junior High school so would get home in time to watch the last 40 minutes I would miss stuff. Laura was about 16 and I believe was dating Scotty after she killed a man named David Hamilton. That happened before I started watching so I don’t know the details of Laura killing him. But they would refer to his name and that she killed him.
          I think maybe there was a storm in which the roads were bad so Leslie delivered AJ. Im not sure why Leslie was infertile or if they gave a reason.

• WalnutGirl
          WalnutGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          I recall Laura had a crush on David, some fans stated he seduced her, I thought he rebuffed her due to her age. I
          do recall David had a thing for Leslie. The murder was an accident. Laura had a breakdown afterwards.

I agree with most of the sentiment here. Hands down the greatest quad ever written. At some point over the years, I rooted for and against each of them. The writers had a way of making each one vulnerable and making us understand what each was going through -- so I loved and hated each of them at some point (the ultimate sign of good writing). For the most part, I rooted for Leslie. I got mad at Rick for going back and forth between Leslie and Monica, but then came to understand her really did love both. He REALLY, REALLY wanted a son and waffled back and forth to which ever one he thought would give him one until they learned that Leslie could not have a child (or should not - I believe it was risky for her but don't recall specifics). I always wished that AJ was Rick's. I always got the feeling that AJ reminded Monica and Alan of her affair and that's why he felt treated different and never felt good enough. But Jason was the result of Alan's affair, so I guess that doesn't make sense. And there will never, ever be catfights like Leslie and Monica's. DA and LC were at their best in those scenes.

Comment

• MeTyme
          MeTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          Reading this makes me miss those days of GH when I was excited to watch. Such good writing accompanied with incredible acting. I wish there was a way we could rewatch this.

• Delariean
          Delariean commented
          Editing a comment
          I always felt that deep down throughout the years that Monica punished or hated AJ for turning out to be Alan's instead of Rick's son. I had hoped that GH would have delved into that storyline. It would have had potential if it was done

• MeTyme
          MeTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm. That would have been interesting to explore. I always thought it odd that she seemed to Favor Jason, the son if Alan’s mistress over her own son. Seemed peculiar that they never addressed that.

Originally posted by MeTyme View Post
        Whose baby did you want AJ to be Rick’s or Alan’s?
        Depends. Would he have been less maladjusted or more maladjusted?

Comment

• MeTyme
          MeTyme commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe less. For some reason his brother Jason was always the favored son since they were young. He wouldn’t have had that comparison if he were Rick’s son.

What I remember is this: Monica LOVED/obsessed with Rick (Alan was her second choice; as was Jeff Weber her first husband); Alan loved Monica (I felt sorry for Alan); Leslie loved Rick (I was a big Lesley fan); Rick loved Leslie and Monica. I felt bad for Leslie when she delivered AJ. It was nice, though, how Monica and Alan turned things around in their marriage. Eventually Monica and Alan developed a loving relationship. Leslie and Rick divorced.

Comment

Always rooted for Lesley. She was a giver and Monica was a taker.
          Loved Rick and Lesley together back in those days! Was so disappointed when, upon his return, they destroyed Rick's character completely.

Comment

• MeTyme
            MeTyme commented
            Editing a comment
            I wasn’t watching at the time they made up that story about Rick and Laura. But i read about it
            I watched in the late 70’s and 80’a and none of that happened. Way to far out of character for Rick. As far as Im concerned that bashing of Rick’s character never happened
            Was that under direction of that lady Phelp’s who killed off the Quartemaines and fired poor Anna Lee? It wouldn’t surprise me if she ruined Rick too.
            She just loved The Corinthos from what I heard.

They sure did ruin Rick! For a stupid story!!

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X