Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B renewed through 2022; Y&R through 2024...When does GH's renewal run out?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&B renewed through 2022; Y&R through 2024...When does GH's renewal run out?

Today it was announced B&B was renewed through 22. The article says that in January Y&R had gotten the renewal through 2024. There are many of us concerned that the show won't return after this hiatus, but the announcement reminded me that there renewal "contract" (I guess that's the right term) that should at the very least finish the renewal period Does anyone recall when GH was last renewed and when it was renewed until? (and when the next renewal announcement would be typically made?)

As far as I can tell unless it was given an early renewal last year, nothing on ABC has been officially announced as renewed or canceled as of right now. It should just be assumed that nothing is going to be new come fall and that the new TV season won't start until 2021. April is the normal renewal time but everything was postponed. I don't think we have anything to worry about. ABC isn't going to cancel GH without some form of a proper finale. They saw the backlash that occurred when AMC and OLTL were canceled. They lost sponsors because of it and had phones ringing off the hook. Those shows had huge fan bases. GH fans are on a different level. I do think that there will come a day when GH is no longer on the air, but I don't see it being within the next year.

Comment

GH is not renewed like the other shows are. It kind of just continues, unless it's actually cancelled by ABC.

Comment

• AMHardulak
        AMHardulak commented
        Editing a comment
        ^^This is my understanding. From a reliable source: "ABC doesn't issue official renewals. . ."

Originally posted by ghfan2001 View Post
      GH is not renewed like the other shows are. It kind of just continues, unless it's actually cancelled by ABC.
      Yep, ABC owns GH so they just keep it going.

Comment

• samson2
        samson2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes but ABC still can pull it or cancel it, so it’s not always a guarantee.

I they give some kind of guarantee up to a certain year that it will continue.I don’t remember exactly what it was called, but I read it on here. It was real lol I always thought the same thing it just does keep on staying on .lol

Comment

Yeah, ABC makes the decision of keeping GH or cancelling it. GH is still on the air so it's all good.

Comment

When AMC and OLTL got cancelled I remember that they just announced the shows were going off and what the date was (I think it was around 9 months notice or less). I don't remember ABC ever making an announcement about a daytime show staying on. I guess you know it is over when they make that announcement, otherwise it just keeps going on.

Comment

The other shows are different due to CBS and NBC's distribution partners (Sony being key). GH is owned by ABC and usually has had a year-to-year renewal since it was saved from cancellation in late 2011. FV and RC coming in after OLTL was widely seen as a shock by the network, as many of us thought ABC was going to cancel it as Brian Frons had done to PC, AMC, and OLTL.

Frons' firing (and the firing of JFP) and Vicki Dummer taking over daytime programming really made it seem that ABC was invested in keeping it's only soap on the air, as we sort of rose back from the wave of soap cancellations from the previous four years. As long as FV keeps GH on/under budget, I don't think we have anything to worry about. And for those of us who've worked in TV before, I have little to no doubt that GH will come back (like all the other shows) after the hiatus. The shows have the quote/unquote luxury of time to step back and look at what's happening and what's needed to go forward hopefully for the next few years.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X