• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LFBHasGreatHair
    Senior Board Member
    • Oct 2010

Are We Supposed to Feel Sorry For Neil?

A physician sleeping with an active patient is a major ethical violation, but say a general surgeon who removes your gallbladder can date you a few years down the line without real conflict of interests or dilemma. However a psychiatrist sleeping with someone who was ever under their care at any point in time is a major ethical violation and completely unreasonable. I don't feel bad for Neil at all. It is actually pretty disgusting and the medical community is right to look at him with skepticism and disgust. The nature of his job is to know her innermost thoughts and weaknesses and therefore it is far too easy for him to manipulate her into a relationship, even if we know that that didn't happen.
  • eileenregina
    Soap Addict
    • Jun 2011

I am not sure why a psychiatrist after the proper amount of time goes past, can't have a relationship with a former patient. I don't find it unethical at all if it works out for the two people in the relationship. Did Neil sleep with a patient while he was treating them? I know he and Alexis jumped the gun on the time line, which is wrong but Alexis was not taken advantage of. They are both culpable and both have now suffered the consequences. I don't feel sorry for either of them, but again, only because they did not wait the required time.

Comment

• LFBHasGreatHair
      LFBHasGreatHair commented
      Editing a comment
      it is the nature of the relationship, the patient reveals information to the psychiatrist about themselves that they don't reveal to anyone else. Childhood trauma, fears, goals etc. It is entirely too easy for the psychiatrist to manipulate the patient (past or present) into a relationship or into anything really based off of what they know about them. Not to mention people see psychiatry when they have psychiatric conditions and can and have easily formed inappropriate attachments to their psychiatrists.

We've seen the Neil and Alexis relationship, we have insight that it is reasonably healthy. But if say Heather Webber returned and was dating Kevin Collins and we knew that Kevin had been treating Heather would that go over so well? Or think of the Ryan and Ava relationship when Ava thought she was with Kevin. See how easy it was for her to fall for him, to believe him, and trust him? It is just unfathomably wrong for someone who has that intimate level of knowledge of a patient to ever be in a position to manipulate them over it.

• Sam_Philly_Girl
      Sam_Philly_Girl commented
      Editing a comment
      He knows two years is the proper time. He didn't wait two months.

• eileenregina
      eileenregina commented
      Editing a comment
      Well neither did Alexis. She could have said No and closed the door.
  • OLTLBoomer
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Mar 2010

Um -"However a psychiatrist sleeping with someone who was ever under their care at any point in time is a major ethical violation...." that's not exactly true.
    Psychiatrists have a two year window from the time the doctor/ patient relationship is severed to when they can "date" - this was discussed multiple times prior to the hearing.

Neil and Alexis had severed their professional relationship. They did not wait the two years. The "date" was in violation of the standards set in the state - the board was willing to overlook the "date" and the kiss as described by Alexis, and Neil, that their relationship was platonic. It was lying about the sex the night before the hearing that did Neil in, and has Alexis in hot water.

Comment

• LFBHasGreatHair
      LFBHasGreatHair commented
      Editing a comment
      file:///C:/Users/fsdis/Downloads/Opinions-of-the-Ethics-Committee.pdf

• OLTLBoomer
      OLTLBoomer commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, LFB. "file not found". I made my opinion not on RL, but what in on the GH canvas.
  • McShirls
    Soap Addict
    • Dec 2017

Conversely, are we supposed to see Julian as the good guy? He should mind his own business instead of shouting in the hospital about Alexis and her business. And on his high horse, he's holding a dagger. Not to mention severed brake lines....

Comment

• CarnyQueen
      CarnyQueen commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with this!
  • Emerald Greens
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by McShirls View Post
    Conversely, are we supposed to see Julian as the good guy? He should mind his own business instead of shouting in the hospital about Alexis and her business. And on his high horse, he's holding a dagger. Not to mention severed brake lines....
    Exactly! Julian is the last one to judge after what he’s done .

Comment

• xoregonian
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Feb 2014

Although Julian was acting like a caveman by running in and attacking Neil, it was just his way of sticking up for Alexis after she called Julian and depended on his support after falling off the wagon and taking that one drink. Alexis got Julian involved with her life once again.

I want Julian to wipe the floor with Neil. I used to like him, but now I don't care one bit if Neil gets together with Alexis or not. Neil's time has passed imo.

Comment

• xoregonian
        xoregonian commented
        Editing a comment
        Britt certainly did get inserted into this mess with A/N and Julian. That was SO out of left field. No one would have guessed that Britt would be the one to see them in the hotel. NO one. It was a huge spoiler here, masquerading as a "guess".

Of course that is true that Britt didn't know some things and Julian didn't know some things. But when Alexis called Jules after she took that shot, Julian couldn't help but let his past emotions with Alexis make him defend again.

• eileenregina
        eileenregina commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny, I wanted Neil to wipe the floor with Julian yesterday for carrying on in public like a maniac and getting Alexis in trouble. Big help he was. I know Alexis was wrong but again, it was NONE OF JULIAN'S BUSINESS. He wanted to destroy Neil but now he has also harmed Alexis career.

• xoregonian
        xoregonian commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course it was none of Julian's business...Until Alexis called him and inserted him into the huge deal of her drinking again!

Anyway, I like Julian and I don't like Neil anymore, so I still would be happy for Julian to wipe the floor with Neil.
    • MeTyme
      Senior Board Member
      • Jan 2020

I dont feel sorry for Neil or Alexis. They are adults who made their bed. Now they gotta lie in it. Oh well.

Comment

• victorialord
        victorialord commented
        Editing a comment
        THANK YOU!!! None of this is Julian's or Britt's or anyone's fault except Neil & Alexis. He slept with a patient & she chose to commit perjury.....

• eileenregina
        eileenregina commented
        Editing a comment
        It is 100% Julian's fault that anyone found out. Yes they were wrong but it was not Julian's place to make it public and ruin two careers. If he was that damned concerned he should have gone to Alexis and Neil like an adult in private.
    • Shellyinphx
      Look! Up in the sky! It's a Super Moderator!
      • Mar 2004

I don't feel sorry for anyone, I thought the scenes were entertaining and I was happy to see different faces then we see every day
      Shelly, Moderator
      soapcentral.com

Email Me

How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us.- Mr. Rogers.

Comment

• iluvaiden
        iluvaiden commented
        Editing a comment
        You're right.

• Wanda Wolek
        Wanda Wolek commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree also.
    • Eeloie313
      Day Player
      • Dec 2017

I enjoyed Neil attacking Julian!! It was what he deserved for sticking his nose into Alexis' business in the public setting of the hospital where people could overhear him and did! Turnabout is fair play.

Comment

• Sam_Philly_Girl
        Board Regular
        • May 2018

Originally posted by LFBHasGreatHair View Post
        A physician sleeping with an active patient is a major ethical violation, but say a general surgeon who removes your gallbladder can date you a few years down the line without real conflict of interests or dilemma. However a psychiatrist sleeping with someone who was ever under their care at any point in time is a major ethical violation and completely unreasonable. I don't feel bad for Neil at all. It is actually pretty disgusting and the medical community is right to look at him with skepticism and disgust. The nature of his job is to know her innermost thoughts and weaknesses and therefore it is far too easy for him to manipulate her into a relationship, even if we know that that didn't happen.
        He violated Alex's privacy as a patient when he told Julian she talked about the "knife" incident.

I noticed Neil doesn't have any issues with sleeping with his patients. He made that clear to Julian. All of his problems are Julian's fault.

Comment

• OLTL'69
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Apr 2011

Julian is a moron and all but that does not make me feel sorry for Neil or Alexis. I could feel sorry for him if he waskeeping away from her counting down the days and years/. No one made them sleep together. She lied.
          If it is true love it will wait I "said that to SAm" I will say it to these older adults
          All are acting like teens

Comment

• Q777S
            Soap Addict
            • Jan 2015

the love struck adults had it coming when the night before a hearing they just could not control impulses acting like reckless teenagers.

so i dont feel sorry for neil, but i also do not condone ju jumping into alexis’ business and hollering out personal info like the idiot he really is. he needs to move past his obsession with alexis and her personal life.so what he learned some juicy info from his bed buddie and then feels compelled to go advertising it

Comment

• billi
              Newcomer
              • May 2020

I certainly don't. I'm hoping Alexis will end up with Julian again. I get the Julian gets to have his fun sleeping with anyone that annoys him but in the end, Julexis are meant to be to me!

Comment

• eileenregina
                eileenregina commented
                Editing a comment
                If an abusive man who held a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her is meant to be for Alexis, I sure feel sorry for her. Sorry the writers went too far with this pair and I will never be able to look at JuLexis as anything but an abuser and his victim.
            • CarnyQueen
              I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
              • Mar 2006

I do feel bad for Neil because he is the victim of inconsistent writing.

At first the writers presented it as being fine that he embark on a relationship with a former patient. I knew that in real life that is not that case. But Neil openly went with Alexis on their drag bingo date. He talked to Kevin about having feelings for a former patient and Kevin encouraged him to explore those feelings. Also, Ava dated and became engaged to her former therapist (Ryan posing as Kevin), and no one blinked twice. So the show set up these relationships as being acceptable in soapworld.

Now, the writers want to throw some angst in Neil and Alexis's way, so they changed the rules they had set up.

As for Julian, he is just a jerk. If he had respect for Alexis as a person, he would have gone to her and talked to her, told her he learned that she had had sex with her former therapist, that he believed this was exploitive and asked if this is why she drank. She might have told him to go to hell, but he would have been able to express his concern. He could have also called the medical board and asked if he could report Neil in the same way the anonymous person who sparked the investigation did.

Instead, Julian decided to throw a big scene and pound his chest and humiliate Alexis. He was doing all this to assert some kind of ownership over Alexis and to alleviate his own guilt about how horribly he treated her when he terrorized her, held a knife to her throat, used her to kill an innocent witness, etc.

Comment

• Harleygirl38
                Soap Addict
                • Dec 2007

Julian needs to mind his own business. Alexis is a big girl and Neil was totally right about Julian still holding the dagger to Alexis's throat.

Comment

• victorialord
                  victorialord commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really? Julian was the one that picked her up at the bar & took her to an AA meeting. Seems like he was a good friend when she needed one.

Once he realized that her sleeping with her psychiatrist is what started her on the path to losing her sobriety, Julian attacked Neil. Wrong or right, it wasn't Julian's fault that Neil slept with Alexis or that Alexis chose to commit perjury.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X