• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Link
    Senior Board Member
    • Mar 2009

ABC's cancellation of Ryan's Hope

'Ryan's Hope,' a soap opera that has won 17 daytime Emmys since it premiered in 1975, will go off the air in January, ABC announced Tuesday....

I found that article link above announcing ABC's cancellation of Ryan's Hope in October 1988 stating lack of affiliates carrying the show was the main reason. I don't know why ABC kept the show at Noon ET when they knew stations aired local news at that time and did before 1984 when ABC put the show there...RH might have lasted longer if they'd never put Loving at 12:30...

Their own affiliate WPVI 6 in Philadelphia aired RH at 11:30am before local news at 12...Maybe more stations would have carried it at 11:00 or 11:30 ET but it was also difficult getting ABC stations to clear that hour as well and many didn't until The View debuted in 1997.
  • CherryPoppins
    Under-Five
    • Jun 2018

Wow, that was 30 years ago!

Comment

• Emerald Greens
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Feb 2006

That wasn’t much of a warning! I remember the last episode. Although the ratings were never the best any of the soaps would happily have them now.

Comment

• Link
        Senior Board Member
        • Mar 2009

I know. It’s hard to believe it’s been that long ago.

Comment

• jward1108
          I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
          • Oct 2005

I had stopped watching it during the last few years. I think it aired at 11:30 in my area (central Illinois). I don't remember why I stopped watching.

Comment

• Link
            Senior Board Member
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by jward1108 View Post
            I had stopped watching it during the last few years. I think it aired at 11:30 in my area (central Illinois). I don't remember why I stopped watching.
            Was your station WAND 17? That was listed in our TV Guide and they stopped showing Ryan's Hope if I recall in the mid 80s and just had Loving. Most all ABC stations carried Ryan's Hope when it was at 12:30/11:30 CT and then ABC gave Loving that slot so they carried it but then shifted Ryan's Hope elsewhere or didn't show it at all. I don't know why ABC just didn't leave RH where it was and not had Loving at all.

Comment

• jward1108
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Link View Post

Was your station WAND 17? That was listed in our TV Guide and they stopped showing Ryan's Hope if I recall in the mid 80s and just had Loving. Most all ABC stations carried Ryan's Hope when it was at 12:30/11:30 CT and then ABC gave Loving that slot so they carried it but then shifted Ryan's Hope elsewhere or didn't show it at all. I don't know why ABC just didn't leave RH where it was and not had Loving at all.
              It was WAND 17 from 1981 to 83. Then I moved to Bloomington and it was WHOI out of Peoria. Maybe they stopped carrying the show and that's why I stopped watching. I just can't remember.

Comment

• Link
                Senior Board Member
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by jward1108 View Post

It was WAND 17 from 1981 to 83. Then I moved to Bloomington and it was WHOI out of Peoria. Maybe they stopped carrying the show and that's why I stopped watching. I just can't remember.
                They probably did. WAND dropped Loving too before ABC cancelled it for their own local news at 11:30. They chose to carry other ABC programs at 11:00 like Home and Match Game over Loving.

Comment

• Jagger1966
                  Board Regular
                  • Sep 2005

We had two affiliates that carried it in my area. One moved it to 11:30 am before dropping it altogether around 1986. The other affiliate moved it to 4:30 in the morning but at least they kept airing it until the end.

Comment

• knotsfan
                    Senior Board Member
                    • May 2017

ABC didn't have much of a choice... Loving aired at 12:30pm, All My Children at 1pm, One Life to Live at 2pm, General Hospital at 3pm, and the Edge of Night at 4pm. ABC could have canceled Ryan's Hope when Loving premiered, but they kept it on the air and moved it to a new time slot.

Comment

• Asa1983
                      Asa1983 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Edge of Night was gone before Ryan's Hope. I wonder why they didn't officially schedule Ryan's Hope and Loving at 11:00 and 11:30? Noon, was horrible because so many stations did midday news, and 12:30 was horrible because who wants to launch a new soap against Y&R which while not yet #1 when Loving debuted was already in the top levels. I would have scheduled them at the earlier timeslots, where they wouldn't face any soap competition and then put a gameshow at 12:30 to counter program Y&R and Search For Tomorrow on NBC.
                  • megthered
                    Day Player
                    • May 2013

This and As the World Turns were my grandmother's favorite soap. You couldn't talk to her when they were on.

Comment

• jward1108
                      • Oct 2005

In my experience (I'm 64 years old), when networks moved shows, I couldn't remember when to watch them. The worst thing that could happen to a soap was to have the show time moved, imo.

Comment

• Asa1983
                        Asa1983 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, as a child I knew what time of the day it was by the show. If AMC was on, it is 1:00, if OLTL it is 2:00 etc...
                    • ChipJ
                      Board Regular
                      • Dec 2008

What I find interesting is that General Hospital and Ryan's Hope are part of the same reality. GH's Ava Jerome is the daughter of Delia Ryan!

Comment

• MalteseBaby
                        Scriptwriter
                        • Aug 2009

Delia Reed Ryan Ryan Coleridge... And the other connection is that Ron Hale, who played Mike Corbin ( Sonny Corinthos' father) until maybe 4 years ago on GH, was our Roger Coleridge on RH.

I hope very much that we see Delia Coleridge back on GH as Ava Jerome's mother.

I remember all of Delia's hijinks on RH. She got all involved in the Crystal Palace, which was built as an opulent restaurant which was actually a front for Tiso Novatny's drug smuggling and money laundering.
                        She's been up to her neck in the mob/ mafia in the many SLs ever since, counting the GH connection to the Jerome crime family of Port Charles, NY.

Love Ilene and her " Delia". I'd give anything to hear her funny, frantic, original force of nature Delia-isms again from RH. She was one of a kind!

Comment

• AMHardulak
                          Aspiring soap scribe
                          • Jan 2009

^^Just recently saw Ilene and Nancy (Jillian) on early Law and Order episodes. I'll bet the casting director was well aware of the talent pool from RH!

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X