Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another grey rape?

I had forgotten about the Bonnie/Lucas incident -- it was not clear to me whether they really had sex or Bonnie was making it up back then.

It seems like they are playing this grey rape for laughs now. It seems very out of touch and I'm surprised Days keeps doing this with different pairings?

Yeah. This is not funny. Lucas was completely soused and Bonnie was pretending to be Adrienne. I don't want to hear about how passionate Bonnie found it.

Comment

Thank you. It is bizarre to me that "Live PD" gets cancelled just because people are mad at cops, but this show plays the rape by deception and grey rape s/l's over and over and no pushback. Maybe because it's a soap it goes under the radar.

Comment

• Abby_fan
        Abby_fan commented
        Editing a comment
        What is “Live PD?” Oh, never mind. I see you explained it. I will be happy as well, rkm137.
        Last edited by Abby_fan; July 27, 2020, 03:31 PM.

• CallAboutTheCat
        CallAboutTheCat commented
        Editing a comment
        I get what you're saying: in an era of "cancel everything that might hurt someone's feelings," it's odd that Live PD gets (literally!) canceled -- not because of anything that actually happened on the show, but because it happens to have cops in it, and people are mad at cops because some cops did bad things.

And yet on Days, we have a situation that is highly offensive to many viewers, but it's played for laughs. Contradictions like this are part of why I'm not a big fan of knee-jerk cancellation of anything.

• tiff5555
        tiff5555 commented
        Editing a comment
        CallAboutTheCat Just off topic here, it's bad in NYC All that shooting in the city I love. I don't know taking away the funds was a good thing. They should have fix the rules than this.

Males rape has always been a joking matter on this show.
      They made a mockery out Kristen’s rape of Brady too. It’s so off putting.

Comment

• rkm137
        rkm137 commented
        Editing a comment
        For serious. Maybe I should add a #MaleRapeIsRape and change the other to simply #RapeIsNotAPlotPoint

This show has an unhealthy obsession with rape storylines. I put this list together on another thread.

2012/2013: Revealed that Nick was raped in prison
      2013: Nick attempted to rape Gabi
      2013: Kristen raped Eric
      2016: Ava raped Steve
      2016: Chase raped Ciara
      2017: Bonnie raped Lucas
      2018: Stefan raped Abigail
      2019: Kristen raped Brady

Assuming I have the dates right and didn't miss any, that's 7 rape storylines and 1 attempted rape in 7/8 years depending on when exactly Nick's was. Most of them had no lasting consequences and in fact weren't even acknowledge as rape. The men in particular were just written off with the exception of Eric who faced lasting consequences.

Comment

• Harmonica1985
        Harmonica1985 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the list.

The rape and sexual assult of men on this show is always glossed over. This is nothing new smh

Comment

• Harmonica1985
        Harmonica1985 commented
        Editing a comment
        No but it's infuriating.

I tend to feel that this scene, was not a matter of rape I believe the writers never intend it to be this way.

Comment

Last time Bonnie was here, she said that Lucas passed out before they had a chance to have sex. That's how Chloe figured out that Emily wasn't hers and Lucas'.

Comment

Originally posted by tiff5555 View Post
          I tend to feel that this scene, was not a matter of rape I believe the writers never intend it to be this way.
          If they had a man so completely drunk he blacked out and a woman pretending to be another woman to get said man in bed and did not intend for it to be considered rape, that is both disturbing and immaterial to the facts of what happened. The actions we were shown and the fact as presented meet the definition of rape. That TPTB treat male rape so cavalierly and disseminate unfortunate rape culture myths is a separate ill.
          Last edited by rkm137; July 28, 2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• tiff5555
            tiff5555 commented
            Editing a comment
            I can see what some viewers are feeling, but if it's not in a dialogue, then it might not one. I am just eyeing or viewing from what Days is saying. They never mentioned Steve being upset that Ava raped him. The only thing I am hearing from Days is that Stefan raped Abby.

• icyblue2034
            icyblue2034 commented
            Editing a comment
            It doesn't have to be in the dialogue. What they showed is rape. I don't care what the characters do or don't say - that's failure on the part of the writers. If they don't want to be rape, don't show it as rape. But they did. They wrote Kristen raping Brady. Ava raping Eric. And it is utterly disgusting the way they handled these, Brady in particular. It was rape. The words need not be said and the writers choosing to act like it wasn't rape is disgusting and irresponsible.

• July Baby
            July Baby commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, IIRC, they did refer to it as rape in a conversation Steve had afterward with John. I'm not sure the word "rape" was actually used, but it was definitely implied when Steve described what had happened and John clearly understood that Steve had felt he had no choice.

Days really doesn't take rape of men seriously.
          Seen also in Y&R, with the character of Daniel, or Glee they are even dared to laugh about it, when one of the students said that he had been raped by his baby sitter when he was a child, and two friends to him, have answered but you have slept with an older girl, so what are you complaining about.
          The worst part is that I believe that in reality it is also treated this way in everyday life

Comment

The show didn't care when Sami straight out drugged and raped Austin so why would they care about any other female and male scenario? If a man does something it is instantly called rape by the show, as should be, but it was never the same for women perpetrators. It's only gotten fairly labeled recently. I think of this as a negative because it implies somehow women are incapable of committing sexual crimes unless it's on a minor.

Comment

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              Austin could have sued Sami’s family because of her or her. Even Abby as well back in 2011-2012. It seems thou with Abby, he has no resentment but probably was thinking of her (2019), because of the split with Carrie. I also agree with kahinamah post as well!

Doesn’t bother me.... it’s a soap, not real life....flame away....🔥

Comment

I'm just amazed that this doesn't get called out at all in the press, and by the MeToo Twitter activists. The s/l's are highly disturbing by most people's standards these days. Maybe it was different ten years ago.

Missy Reeves got called out for something else unrelated recently that she did (not saying she was blameless) but rape for laughs goes under the radar somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by varlena View Post
                I'm just amazed that this doesn't get called out at all in the press, and by the MeToo Twitter activists. The s/l's are highly disturbing by most people's standards these days. Maybe it was different ten years ago.

Missy Reeves got called out for something else unrelated recently that she did (not saying she was blameless) but rape for laughs goes under the radar somehow.
                Exactly! Ken Corday and Ron Carlivati need called out by many reputable organizations for even writing this stuff, let alone letting it air.

Comment

^ Beca Drags what I really don't get is some of the 80's teen comedies -- Revenge of the Nerds, Sixteen Candles -- have now been called out for this treatment of rape, but this Days material is happening right now and gets a pass. I have a feeling it may be because it's a soap.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X