Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days' Time Jump Purpose

What do you all think of the purpose of the Time Jump for Days is or was?

It was a ratings gimmick. And a lazy way to get out of some stories without actually writing them.

Comment

• CanaryFan98
      CanaryFan98 commented
      Editing a comment
      This and honestly this didn't really make that much of an impact beyond Adrienne still being dead and Haley being killed off with JJ leaving town(that one I think will stick)

To me it feels like they got to do things like un-vilified Kristen/Xander to certain extents. Make Ciera/Ben direr to get together with the Jailtime for Ben keeping them apart. Switch out Hope/Gina-Steve/Stephano craziness.

Comment

Gina is one of the big fails of the time jump. She never should have gone undetected for over a year.

That's actually one of the problems. All those stories should have wrapped up faster than that. Their progression was slowed to a crawl to drag them out. That's why it was lazy. The writers wanted things to happen, they just didn't want to actually write them happening.

Comment

It brought a lot of twists and turns to the show. The first few weeks we had no idea why Will was in prison, what happened to Adrienne, what happened to Brady & Kristen’s baby, why JJ fell off the wagon, how his girlfriend died, why Kayla was with Justin, how Eli ended up with the mendacious little bitch, etc. Days felt very fresh and exciting. Having Jennifer represent the viewers and we learned things and she did was smart. I enjoyed the time jump.

Comment

• Iluvdogz
          Iluvdogz commented
          Editing a comment
          I enjoyed the time jump also. The first few weeks were so intriguing.

Outside of brainwashing and DID, it was the worse thing they came up with in long time.

Comment

There was no legit purpose. It was a dumb gimmick that hurt the show more.

Comment

I thought maybe it's Bonnie's book and Bonnie reading her book to Hattie in jail before the book is published.

Comment

• Harbor Club
              Harbor Club commented
              Editing a comment
              I could see that.

I think the time jump could have worked if they had avoided all the Gina/Stevano stuff altogether and maybe set up some interesting new couples or rivalries.

Comment

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              Gina and Stevano was okay...it’s just him loving Marlena was a big turn off...

Unless there is some big twist still-to-come, seems to me that the time-jump was a big nothing-burger, particularly for the writers. Sure, they got to skip a lot of storyline. But, think of it--a soap is just one big long continuous story. The writers have to come up with stuff to keep people watching. Though, technically, things rarely actually happen in a soap, the viewer has to think something is happening. The job of the writer is to stretch it out as long as possible--to produce the most airtime and commercial space.

The time jump allowed them to cut a lot of corners storewise, but they still have to fill In time. It's not like, at the end of the time jump, they could say, "well, enough happened during the missing time that we can now just have the characters sit back and contemplate what happened. They've got to keep the story churning.

Like I say, maybe a twist will change things. Though I have a feeling a twist might end up feeling cheap and patronizing to loyal viewers.

Comment

It seems like a gimmick to throw a bunch of stuff out there to see what sticks. Also, it seems like they could easily "undo" it at some point.

Comment

I would have flash forwarded a year and shown a dead body. Then use the year to tell the stories as to why the body was there ...

Comment

I found it pointless. it just seemed laziness by writers not wanting to write full story

Comment

I know everyone hated the Gina and Steve-N-O story. All the other stories could have happened without the time jump.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X