Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are bridal veils out of fashion?

The last real-life wedding I went to, the bride did not wear a traditional veil. And now the bride's of Salem are not either. I am by no means a fashion expert, so I don't know. Are bridal veils no longer a thing??

The style is so individual now, there are so many different looks. Veils are still really popular, but not as much as they once were.

For Kayla It would have been out of place to wear a veil. Nicole’s dress was pretty and simple, a veil would have Been equally out of place. Also her wedding was held at the pub, again it’s really casual. Lani chose a head piece that didn’t obstruct her braids. Ciara is the most likely to have a veil, we’ll see.
    Last edited by Cat women; July 14, 2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• eileenregina
      eileenregina commented
      Editing a comment
      Not only that, Nicole was not a first time bride. I thought her knee length dress was perfect and flattering; as you said why would Kayla where a veil with her dress, it would have looked silly. As for Lani, I think her style fit her. None of these weddings were formal. I am sure Ciara will wear a veil though.

This is what I found when I searched the Internet.

- Clearly, nowadays veils have lost most of that symbolism, of course depending on the culture. And, in modern American society, they're not even an essential, or required, part of the ceremony or wedding day. In fact, many brides choose to forgo wearing a veilaltogether. July 2018

Comment

• eileenregina
      eileenregina commented
      Editing a comment
      I learned years ago when my great-grandmother was around that a lot of brides in the middle-class and down range dressed very simply for weddings. Big expensive wedding gowns and veils were usually seen more in the rich and upper class. We are now in a midst of cultural changing. When I was in high school (Catholic) is was a scandal if someone was divorced!

• Abby_fan
      Abby_fan commented
      Editing a comment
      Times are changing. Back then, I am sure most brides were or pretended to be virgins as well. Plus, married people probably stayed in destructive abusive marriage to not have the stigma of divorce tied to them.eileenregina

Well, I married in the 70's. Didn't wear nail polish, much less a veil. Didn't wear a hat or headpiece, avoided them ever since my brother snapped my chin strap one Easter Sunday...
    I have this thing about things elaborate and frivolous. $20k weddings, $50k tuitions, $60k vehicles, $1M houses. Much of that paid by one's parents, but that's another rant.
    Some of my contemporaries didn't wear shoes at their weddings, and then came the '80s and they were wearing $200 footwear. They're barefoot again if I'm not mistaken.
    So...veils. Couple yards of tissue encrusted with faux pearls. Like, why?

Comment

A veil didn't suit these types of weddings or these brides. These days brides who've been married more than once can wear white, it symbolizes your the bride but a veil is something most women who aren't new brides would wear. Now yes, Lani could have worn one but again didn't suit her type of wedding, and liked her headpiece went so well with her hair that it didn't matter. Perhaps Ciara will wear a veil since this is her first wedding and from my understanding a more formal affair.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat women View Post
        For Kayla It would have been out of place to wear a veil.
        I remember when ladies wore veils attached to hats, on any dress-up occasion. The practice may have gone out with Eisenhower. My mom had a whole stash of these hats. I think they're in my attic where be squirrels.

Kayla's best ornament is her face when she smiles, and the years instantly reset to 1986. If only the writers could.

Comment

• Cat women
          Cat women commented
          Editing a comment
          My mom talks about those hats with veils that ladies always wore to church. There’s a small resurgence of that.

I’ve never understood how MBE manages to beam sunlight when she smiles. It would be nice if they gave Kayla a reason to be happy more often.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
      Working...
      X