Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People in the background pay rate?

In the background in Horton Square and Brady’s Pub there are people. They are either sitting or roaming around. I am curious as to what these people get paid? Anyone know? Looks like an easy gig.

Pay is controlled by SAG-AFTRA. Under 5's (fewer than 5 lines of dialogue) get about $450 for a show. Background actors (extras) get $150 an hour.

If you're in LA, there are a lot of casting agencies for extras. My son did a few shows for Disney.

Comment

It's fairly decent money, I think. It can range between $100-$200 a day, depending on what union you go through. Some backgrounders make $400-$1,000 a week. If you do different shows/films, you can make a solid living doing background work on shows.

Comment

You know I was thinking today as I was watching a repeat of YnR, which featured a fair: With the Covid-19 restrictions, will soaps even have people in the background at restaurants or outside at Horton Square, or feature things like a Fair anymore? I mean if they're not going to be able to have more than 4 people in a scene, then big events like weddings and/or parties -- even in Days case the Horton annual hanging of the Christmas ornaments -- might be a thing of the past. At least for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• shome
          shome commented
          Editing a comment
          In that interview Ron did with Mary Beth and Stephen, he talked about the Horton ornament hanging. He said they may do thing where camera shows people hang ornament one at a time. They wouldn't have a lot of people in room at same time. The camera might just show each person hang them. He also said less people in scenes. He also implied doing fade out on people who are about to hug or kiss. You the old way they used to do soaps would work now. A couple would open a bedroom door and go in, and you never saw them in bed. They just talked about it the next day.

Being an extra is exhausting, especially for a film, or primetime tv show. You have to wait around all day, and if you're the person who walks down the street, you have to do it like 50 times so they can film from all different angles. Eventually you get tired of going back to your mark and walking down the street for what seems like the millionth time.

Comment

I believe from Jason47, it’s between $100 to $200...

Comment

UK and Australia soaps are using their crew as background people if need be.

Being an extra is tiring - as Jj1701 mentioned, it is a lot of sitting around and repeating scenes. However, if you are interested in moviemaking or TV show production, it is a great opportunity. They do "cast" extras. And as my son said, "They feed you really well."

Comment

Originally posted by Jj1701 View Post
              Being an extra is exhausting, especially for a film, or primetime tv show. You have to wait around all day, and if you're the person who walks down the street, you have to do it like 50 times so they can film from all different angles. Eventually you get tired of going back to your mark and walking down the street for what seems like the millionth time.
              That's what's good about being an extra on Days though. They only tape the scene once, maybe twice if they have to, so it's a nice easy paycheck compared to the amount of waiting around you do on film sets.

Comment

• Jj1701
                Jj1701 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah that's true. It would be so fun to be on set at Days! Reminds me of that Friends episode when Phoebe is an extra on Days! Lol!

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X