Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I hate when they say the word “super couple” on the show.

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrandmaJulie
    Board Regular
    • Mar 2020

I hate when they say the word “super couple” on the show.

Today Bonnie was saying Justin and Adrianne were a super couple like Jack/Jen and John/ Marlena. This is close to breaking the 4th wall. Nobody says that I’m real life about any couple they casually know. This reminds me of Fuller House and how the writers made it into a parody of Full house. I thought Fuller house was so awful and cheesy because characters made so many 4th wall references on the show like Fernando saying Uncle Jessie was “America’s uncle” or Kimmy saying DJ and Steve are “America’s favorite couple”.
    Last edited by GrandmaJulie; July 9, 2020, 04:29 PM.
  • Cat women
    I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
    • Sep 2013

I don’t like lines that take you out of the story either, but there was something about the sweet, and sincere way Bonnie said it that worked for me. She was comforting Justin by telling him he found a great love too, it was fitting given what Justin was feeling.

Comment

• Harmonica1985
      Senior Board Member
      • Sep 2019

Those couples are supercouples as well as many others.

Comment

• GrandmaJulie
        GrandmaJulie commented
        Editing a comment
        I never said they weren’t supercouples. I don’t think you understand what I’m trying to say.

• Harmonica1985
        Harmonica1985 commented
        Editing a comment
        What exactly do you mean?

• GrandmaJulie
        GrandmaJulie commented
        Editing a comment
        Read what the other posters are saying, especially beca-drags. They seem to understand.
    • shome
      Scriptwriter
      • Apr 2007

Doug and Julie were the original supercouple. I loved it that the show was willing to have fun at its expense. The supercouple will always matter.

Comment

• Harmonica1985
        Harmonica1985 commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldn't agree more.

• DonnaJeanM
        DonnaJeanM commented
        Editing a comment
        Bo and Hope were a supercouple too. Kristian Alfonso is leaving DOOL, so I guess that Peter Reckell won't return. I was hoping he'd come back.
    • TV Man
      Senior Board Member
      • Apr 2015

That's just Ron winking at us. He knows he's writing a soap opera.

Comment

• Brenda4ev
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by TV Man View Post
        That's just Ron winking at us. He knows he's writing a soap opera.
        But, that's the point. We all know we're watching a soap opera... it's escapism. You want to get immersed in this crazy world.

Having the characters call duos "supercouples" is cringeworthy. It takes you out of the moment.

Comment

• Harmonica1985
          Harmonica1985 commented
          Editing a comment
          No it doesnt.

• Elle23276
          Elle23276 commented
          Editing a comment
          What 'moment'? I took her comment to be Ron's response to fans who thought Jayla would reign supreme. It was both a wink and an inside joke, as other posters have intelligently pointed out.

• tiff5555
          tiff5555 commented
          Editing a comment
          Brenda4ev in soaps and of course delving into history, one couple that has been written well in the past, can be a supercouple. In real lives, it's called "soulmates"
          Last edited by tiff5555; July 10, 2020, 01:01 AM.
      • backheidi
        Scriptwriter
        • Jan 2008

I do not mind. It is sort of an inside joke for all!!!

Comment

• dee2
          I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
          • Dec 2015

When Bonnie was imagining her and Lucas, Lucas said a well worn phrase from Days, we will always find our way back to each other.
          When Steve was whispering in Kayla's ear it was, all the days of our lives, another one.

I noticed that this was an episode with several things intended to speak to the audience.

Comment

• Harmonica1985
            Harmonica1985 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes and it was fabulous.

• dee2
            dee2 commented
            Editing a comment
            ^^It was nice.

• Elle23276
            Elle23276 commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I have to go and watch it again....?....
        • Brenda4ev
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by dee2 View Post
          When Bonnie was imagining her and Lucas, Lucas said a well worn phrase from Days, we will always find our way back to each other.
          When Steve was whispering in Kayla's ear it was, all the days of our lives, another one.

I noticed that this was an episode with several things intended to speak to the audience.
          I do love when they incorporate "all the days of our lives." It's usually so romantic.

Comment

• Brenda4ev
            Brenda4ev commented
            Editing a comment
            Their personalities suit so well. They're adorable together!

• Harmonica1985
            Harmonica1985 commented
            Editing a comment
            I love how they let Stephen use his sense of humor.

• GrandmaJulie
            GrandmaJulie commented
            Editing a comment
            I do like when they say Days of our lives or sands through the hour glass. I thought it was beautiful when Hope said the phrase at Alices memorial. ? It’s just the term supercouple that takes me out of the show.
            Last edited by GrandmaJulie; July 9, 2020, 07:01 PM.
        • Beca Drags
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Apr 2005

I don't know why Ron felt it was necessary to put that label in the show today? Yes, all these couples are known as "super couples" but not in the context of the show. No one calls a couple a "super couple". It just sounds stupid in relation to the soap dialogue.

Comment

• tiff5555
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Harmonica1985 View Post
            Those couples are supercouples as well as many others.
            You are right! They were one. There are others who also was supercouples too. Right now we have WILSON AND CHABBY for now. Soon ELANI also....I don’t think Days fully said that they were, but they are with the fans. The last time Days said one was a supercouple, was back in 2015! Ken had to admitted who it was. Anyway, yeah, Justin and Adrienne are or were a supercouple.

Comment

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              Honestly what I got from the thread was that some people in general, not on this board, may not know the history of Days. I believe Bonnie was saying from the history of Days. I guess that’s the confusion here. The writers was only experiencing from Days history.

• Elle23276
              Elle23276 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Tiff....I think you get it. And it was not lame. It was clever use of dialogue to get a message directly to the Days' fanbase. Delivered by the perfect character. At the perfect time. In the perfect scene. I loved it.

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              Elle23276 You are welcome! I thought that this is where Bonnie was coming from.
          • Abby_fan
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Jun 2015

I have heard in real life people call certain couples a power couple, not a super couple, but close. I thought it was sweet to have Bonnie say it.

Comment

• Abby_fan
              Abby_fan commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, Bonnie was living in Salem and she has known these people for a long time. It doesn’t take a genius to know who is a good couple in a town. Seriously, any visitor in Salem can see that John and Marlena or Jack and Jen are super couples. Just stay there for a few days.

• Elle23276
              Elle23276 commented
              Editing a comment
              They can? Not unless they transgress that 4th wall....??

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              True Abby_fan I heard too of the term, soulmates! As of the scene, it seems Bonnie knows that Adrienne and Justin was tight together to be said that and from Days history.
          • shome
            Scriptwriter
            • Apr 2007

Bonnie said so she said so she could say "me and Lucas" and Justin look at her like he would like to strangle her. They used lines in show that had been said in past shows. At the airport when Steve got Kayla to admit she loved him. She said she did but didn't want to. Years ago when E.J. was brainwashing Steve, Marlena had Steve tied up. He tried to talk Kayla into freeing him and he told her they loved each other even when they didn't want to.

Comment

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              And that's what I called a supercouple on this show In real lives, soulmates! Steve and Kayla had lots of pasts, so did Justin and Adrienne to be considered supercouple or even soulmates if comparing to real lives.

• GrandmaJulie
              GrandmaJulie commented
              Editing a comment
              tiff5555, you just aren’t getting it. It’s really not hard to understand What this thread is about.

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              GrandmaJulie I really don't understand what you are saying or maybe I do because you might be comparing to real life. All I feel from your post, that maybe you and probably some in general, may not know the history of Days. It's okay neither would I. The best post is what Abby_fan said that made a whole lot sense of what it's about. Plus I even said regarding supercouple and soulmates.
          • Clementine15
            Scriptwriter
            • May 2015

l think the OP is talking about the words, the actual words "super couple". She is not talking about who is or who isn't a super couple. We all know who they are and what they are (there may be a little disagreement), but in real life nobody would use those words "super couple". People would look at you in complete blankness, like "what the heck is she talking about?".

For some reason, l do not know, it's sweet and moving when a character says "all the days of our lives" or
            "like sands through the hourglass", and it fits what is happening on screen. This was just a bit icky to me because Bonnie is such an awful person, so destructive, and who would even want her to think about them that way, and who on earth would want to be labeled that way, on Days or in the real world. lt's stupid. This is my opinion

And btw, when were Bonnie and Lucas involved, other than that one time when he thought she was Adrienne.
            Last edited by Clementine15; July 10, 2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• GrandmaJulie
              GrandmaJulie commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct. It’s like me saying my parents are a super couple or the couple across my street are a super couple. It has no meaning in the real world. It’s a term that should only exist outside the show. Days is treading towards Passions territory with this kind of writing.

• Elle23276
              Elle23276 commented
              Editing a comment
              Which is okay. Because Salem is not the real world.
          • Brenda4ev
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Clementine15 View Post
            And btw, when were Bonnie and Lucas involved, other than that one time when he thought she was Adrienne.
            That's right.

They were together once when he thought she was Adrienne. But, Bonnie has been obsessed with him since.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X