• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TonyStark10
    Day Player
    • Nov 2018

The future of soaps...

Read the ratings haven't good and I'm also reading soaps like Days, GH are renewed just barely.
  • Cat women
    I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
    • Sep 2013

The future of soaps is grim. However NBC just started the Peacock steaming service and they are in desperate need of content to fill up their regular channel and now a streaming channel. In my area the program that airs before Days is a different infomercial everyday.

All shows are hurting because people have so many choices and young people don’t watch a lot of network TV.

Comment

• Nab
      Board Regular
      • Jul 2004

To be fair, most "regular" television is hurting. Daytime tv (such as soaps or game shows or talk shows) don't do as well as they used to because a lot of people work or find other things to do between the hours of 9:00 am-5:00 pm. Prime time television is also hurting because a) people below the age of 20 don't (in general) watch television and b) a lot of people prefer to stream television. (Hence why so many companies are making their own steaming service.)

It would probably benefit daytime soaps to move to streaming platforms, lower their cast members, and make smaller seasons. For example, some telenovelas are roughly 60 episodes a season and may have 2-4 seasons over a one-two year period. If daytime soaps moved to streaming, they could do 2-4 month story lines with one group of characters (say 6-10 people), than do another story line for 2-4 months with another group of characters (say a smaller group of 4-8 people). Go back and forth, with a 1-2 month break in between. It would allow soap actors/actresses the choice to do more projects and might save money.

Comment

• Dreammaster
        Day Player
        • Sep 2007

It will be only matter of time where everything will be streaming regular tv watching will be gone

Comment

• Tom Saurus
          Board Regular
          • Mar 2007

I certainly hope things get better for DAYS ratings wise and I know that I enjoy the show a lot more since Ron Carlivatti took over as head writer. My family dropped B&B over six months ago, and we don't miss it a bit. We don't pay all that much attention to Y&R and have become quite ambivilent about it. General Hospital I dumped that when Carlivatti was let go as he made that show palatable for me. He did a lot to turn OLTL around and I know he is not perfect but I think he gets a lot more right then he gets wrong.

As for the future of Soaps, they could go the way of Westerns which you rarely see new ones made. However there is an appetite for drama which explains the success of that NBC prime time show who's name I am drawing a blank on that has Justin Hartley on it. I never watched it or want to watch it but I know it is a hit or was.

Comment

• icyblue2034
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Mar 2013

Soaps have been struggling, that's for sure. I can't speak for others, but I know part of Days' problem is the writing and filming 6 months in advance which means any viewer response can't be integrated. That and NBC seems entirely uninterested in investing in it. I haven't seen them do a shred of advertising in I couldn't tell you when.

In truth I'm not sure Days will get another renewal. I just hope they can move to a streaming platform with a writing team who actually cares about the show, the history, and the viewers. Without that, I don't see the show lasting much longer.

Comment

• TV Man
              TV Man commented
              Editing a comment
              The only promo I ever see is the :30 one they run every day 40 minutes into the 4th hour of Today.
          • tiff5555
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Jul 2007

I agree with all of this. We will soon be watching shows online. My brother is always on Netflix and I have been considering Lifetime Movie Shows to pay to watch. Soaps are a past now.. we will always have memories of Days.

Comment

• JackandJenfan
              JackandJenfan commented
              Editing a comment
              You should look into Philo. It has multiple channels ID, Hallmark, Lifetime, LMN, History, WE, Up, HGTV, etc.. . So you are not just paying for one channel ( Lifetime).

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              JackandJenfan I actually have those shows
              I was talking about the App or Streaming Services that they advertise on LMN. Those goldie movies, they don't show on LMN no more or barley comes on LMN.

• JackandJenfan
              JackandJenfan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh ok. mts mts
          • backheidi
            Scriptwriter
            • Jan 2008

I think their Days are numbered. Honestly if vets like Hope are going/gone, I do not watch newbies!! The young ones have just never had the same skills to me!! And I like legacy characters! I stopped watching Y&R years ago because the main two families (Brooks and Snapper and his brothers) all disappeared... There was not even a Victor then!! But it went on to do well and once in a while I will watch it but cannot get into the families!!!
            Last edited by backheidi; July 8, 2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• tiff5555
              tiff5555 commented
              Editing a comment
              We will be fine If this was a decade ago, then yeah, I would have agreed with you. Days are pushing certain people to the forefront.

• CincyLady
              CincyLady commented
              Editing a comment
              And I am an OLDER viewer and I could care less about the "vets" (Hope, Bo, etc.,).

• backheidi
              backheidi commented
              Editing a comment
              To each their own. I do like a few of the younger ones...like Chabby and years ago i loved the Belle, Phillip, Chloe, etc. group but they have not matched that group since. I am happy that Phillip and Chloe are comng back!
              Last edited by backheidi; July 8, 2020, 05:02 PM.
          • kahinamah
            • Sep 2019

Days is the only soap I watch every day

B&B I got tired of the soap becoming Hope's show, but if the soap came back on Steffy, I would come back

Y&R it is only on Victor and the newmans, apart from Adam that I like, the others do not interest me.

General hospital I stopped when they fired Billy miller, this show is only on Sonny, Jason, Carly.

Now for "Days" I read things that could happen and that I don't like, so if it is confirmed I prefer to stop and give B&B another chance.

Comment

• patrick4days
              Board Regular
              • Jan 2019

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of Days, they run out.

Comment

• kahinamah
                • Sep 2019

I find that Days talk about all the characters, couples and family, (they should just calm down with the hortons), but overall it's okay, it's not GH, BB, and Y&R who only talk about some character to the point of overdose.

I only criticize Days for having too many departures, and finally we can't get attached to the characters and couples (even if we love them)

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                Working...
                X