• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • icyblue2034
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Mar 2013

Orpheus and the wreck: Different culprit, same problem

So now they've taken the lazy route and made Orpheus responsible for the crash. He took advantage of Summer's trashy tirade, kidnapped Maggie, stole her car, and eventually caused the crash because he couldn't convince Evan to be a hardened criminal. Fine. Whatever.

Still one problem: How did Orpheus get there? Drunk Maggie or kidnapping Orpheus, there's still the logistical issue of how they got ahead of Adrienne and Sarah, turned around, and veered into their lane thus pushing them off the road. Orpheus should have been behind them no matter where he was trying to go. And my understanding based on the story is that he veered in front of them, not Will. That's how Maggie's car was identified. So how exactly did he veer in front of them and run them off the road when he would have been far behind them? Still seems that we're missing a car here. It's possible Summer could have passed them while they were stopped and for some reason turned around to go attack Maggie again or something. She was drinking so swerving across lanes wouldn't have been unusual. Regardless, Orpheus driving still doesn't put Maggie's car in a position to cause the wreck.
  • shome
    Scriptwriter
    • Apr 2007

They made a point of Orpheus having trouble finding Rafes house. He got turned around while driving and Adrienne probably was probably turned toward heading to hospital from mansion road. Evan wanted to switch and drive because he knew the way. Orpheus wouldn't do it.

Comment

• icyblue2034
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Mar 2013

They did, but the problem is that doesn't put him far enough ahead of Adrienne to turn around and cause the wreck. He would have had to blow past them at a very high speed with Adrienne driving like a snail, realized he was going the wrong way and turned around just as Will arrived in the area in order to stay in front of him. I really don't see how they could have been stopped for that long, especially since Summer was still berating Maggie when they stopped. Which makes even my theory of her passing them and turning around not work, but it still works more than Orpheus doing it.

It just doesn't work as they've described it. It still leaves a significant missing piece. Perhaps that's victim of a rewrite and this was the best they could come up with. I don't know. I just know they've hung much of the time jump on this wreck and now that it's played out, it's a dud with a big hole.

Comment

• dee2
        dee2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Trying to figure these types of things out will give you a headache. Where does Will come into this? He swerved to miss a car.
    • GrandmaJulie
      Board Regular
      • Mar 2020

I wish Summer would have been involved. It would have been a good way to get rid of her. It almost seems like a retcon to have Orpheus involved. What was the point of bringing Summer back if she was only part of such a short scene?

Comment

• magoo1000
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Aug 2009

I don't really care who did it as long as it wasn't Maggie. And I don't care how they explain it. Just let it be over.

Comment

• icyblue2034
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by GrandmaJulie View Post
          I wish Summer would have been involved. It would have been a good way to get rid of her. It almost seems like a retcon to have Orpheus involved. What was the point of bringing Summer back if she was only part of such a short scene?
          That's what it feels like. A lazy, sloppy retcon that was thrown together in such a way that they didn't bother to see if it makes sense. It makes me think of those diagrams you see on court shows sometimes. The ones where they illustrate the road with little cutouts for the cars and move the cars along to show what happened and determine if the story being given is even possible. If they ever decide to do something like this again it would benefit them to set up something like that. Quick, simple, and avoids such large holes in the story. Avoid leaving a situation where the wreck is impossible as they've set it up without including another car or a significant change in the timeline.

I think stuff like this really does hurt the show. Feels like the writers can't be bothered to put in the effort for the simplest plot points.

Comment

• RickySpanish
            Contract Poster
            • Dec 2018

Adrienne would have been driving more carefully, and probably not speeding. Orpheus was probably speeding, taking different streets, got lost, and ended up driving back towards where Adrienne was coming from

Comment

• MrAgnes
              MrAgnes commented
              Editing a comment
              Adrienne was driving a woman in labor to the hospital. I doubt if she was driving at a snail's pace.

• RickySpanish
              RickySpanish commented
              Editing a comment
              MrAgnes Labor can last many hours. Adrienne is a mature woman with a lot of life experience. She's doesn't need to race to the hospital. If it was life or death, an ambulance would have been called instead.
          • Clementine15
            Scriptwriter
            • May 2015

Summer's involvement could have been a good story. This one with Orpheus and spawn is pretty lame.

Comment

• peanut100
              Senior Board Member
              • Jan 2016

It would have made more since if aliens abducted Maggie and dropped her at the accident site. Evan? Orpheus? Kidnapping? Way out there writers.

Comment

• Beca Drags
                Aspiring soap scribe
                • Apr 2005

Still smells like a last minute rewrite to me, making Orpheus the mastermind. What was the point of having Summer come in with her little tirade, if she played no part in the accident?

Comment

• magoo1000
                  magoo1000 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To9 throw us off maybe?
              • RickySpanish
                Contract Poster
                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by peanut100 View Post
                It would have made more since if aliens abducted Maggie and dropped her at the accident site. Evan? Orpheus? Kidnapping? Way out there writers.
                A criminal kidnapping someone to collect a ransom? So unlikely.

Comment

• shome
                  Scriptwriter
                  • Apr 2007

I think Summer was only used to make Maggie upset enough that she thought she got drunk. Orpheus was scheduled to be in Salem, so they just used him to finish this. It also gives Sonny something to be really mad at Evan about. Orpheus should be a murder victim with a lot of suspects.

Comment

• magoo1000
                    magoo1000 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree. Just because Summer didn't cause the accident does not mean that this was a rewrite. It just means we were wrong when we thought she did it.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                Working...
                X