Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans of the time jump? Won’t all soaps have to do this sl

Fans of the time jump? Won’t all soaps soon adapt this storyline?

What makes you think that?

Comment

The time jump is a hit and miss with fans. Mostly because there was interruptions during Days.

Comment

I think the time-jump, while a creative idea, turned out to be a big nothing-burger. There are no ramifications. By September, it will no effect, except that the folks in Salem will be existing in the year 2021. All of the time-jump storylines are being tied-up. And, with the characters living in the future, you have to wonder what would happen if sometime this year something affecting the lives of everyone happened, like a world-war, an alien invasion, or a major pandemic?

Comment

Actually now that you mention it this is rather ironic. Days was ahead of its time apparently (no pun intended) by the time they return it will be months ahead they could do a TJ themselves if needed.

However the Days TJ started off well and is a good idea on paper but it wasn't sustainable because its a daily soap and viewers prefer to watch things as they happen as opposed to it already happening and us finding out how they got there.

Now This is Us works because its a weekly format and they already have a plan in place where they pay attention to the details it was obvious Days did it for shock value and to FF storylines but they never had a real plan, paid attention to the details, and no real lasting consequences except that Haley is dead and will probably stay that way. However it doesn't really affect the show long term either because her death was treated as inconsequential.

Comment

I am glad I didn't have to see Hope be Gina for an entire year, the way this version was. I guess the TJ was ok; I wouldn't
          want to see another one.

Comment

I don't imagine the time jump format catching on in soaps. It was a big on shock value but the follow through wasn't there. And some things like Gina lasting an entire year with no one noticing, in spite of them already noticing something was off before the jump, made no sense from the start. The idea could have worked, but unfortunately it played out exactly as I'd feared the moment I heard about it: Lazy writing and shock value. Add a dash of "use Days history but screw it up by not paying attention to details" along with a bit of "we know the viewers don't want this but they're getting it anyway" plus a few drops of "plot lines so obvious the viewers made up their own spoilers 5+ months in advance" and you have a recipe for exactly why no other soap should try this.

Comment

If done well it's a good idea. It's a way to refresh a story line with big sudden changes that cannot be done normally.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X