Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Johnson/Snake Plissken

I’m not a long time Days watcher nor do I know especially much about it’s history (besides the basics). The other night I watched the 1981 movie Escape from New York starting Kurt Russell. I couldn’t help but notice physical similarities between Steve and Kurt’s character. They both had eyes patches and shoulder length hair with gruff exteriors. So I was wondering if there was any connections between the characters. Was Steve partially based on Snake Plissken?

No one wears a patch better than Stephen Nichols.

I don’t know if the look of the character was based on Snake, but Steve was only meant to be a short term character, he was only supposed to be on for about three weeks or so. He was brought on for angst for Bo and Hope. Steve showed up wanting revenge on Bo for some terrible wrong he suffered in the past. Turns out Bo poked Steve’s eye out with a knife in a fight over a girl. I think they chose a patch for Steve because every time Bo saw Steve, it was an obvious reminder to Bo that he left his friend deformed, and Bo had a lot of guilt even though Steve was a jerk at the time. The patch led to a really great backstory for Steve, that we learned about as time went on.

Comment

• LizWebberFan
      LizWebberFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the info.

Actually, the fight was more about Bo thinking Steve set him up for treason charge. Steve didn't know anything about it. Britta set Bo up. In Stockholm 2, it was made clear that Britta was really Steve's girlfriend. Britta was playing Bo along to set him up. In fact when Bo bust through door to find Britta and Steve together, he yelled "You set me up." Steve didn't know what he was talking about. They got into a violent fight that led to Steve losing his eye.
    Last edited by shome; May 9, 2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Cat women
      Cat women commented
      Editing a comment
      Bo walked in on Britta and Steve in bed. Yes, she was Steve’s girlfriend, but we learn that later, it was all set up for us think Bo was the victim, but it tuned out Bo and Britta had set Steve up for treason. It came out slowly, but Steve was betrayed and later abandoned in a hospital after losing his eye. Bo and Britta were the closest thing Steve had to family, and the set him up, and abandoned him after he was injured. The patch was an important reminder to Bo of his betrayal,

• LizWebberFan
      LizWebberFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response

OMG, I didn't know Bo did that!

Comment

That's why I like the patch, it reminds me of Bo, and it's an important part of Steve's history. His backstory was all about abandonment and child abuse.

I don't know how much of Kurt Russell's character, Snake, played into Steve's look, they do resemble each other, and much of Steve's backstory was created after SN became a contract actor with the show. I think orginally it was just a fun way to bring on a villian who was holding a secret over Bo's head. He was ment to be a character actor with a scary look. Steve was bad news when he showed up in Salem, but he was always protective of people, there was a line he wouldn't cross, even if he pretended he would. I wish the show would learn from that.
      Last edited by Cat women; May 9, 2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I wish I had saved all the articles I had back then. I thought I read that Peter suggested to producers that instead of killing Patch that Bo and Patch could have a big back story. Also, I read why Steve middle name is Earl. If they can't get Bo, they need a Brady cousin who reminds them of him.

Comment

• Cat women
          Cat women commented
          Editing a comment
          Peter Reckell did ask to make Steve a permanent character. Earl is SN real life middle name, he was named after his grandfather. Earl is Steven Johnson’s uncle on the show.

Years ago, during the 80s, Sheri Anderson and Thom Racina did say that Patch's character WAS inspired by Snake.

Comment

• Cat women
          Cat women commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool. They do look similar.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
      Working...
      X