Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unpopular opinion: There is too much focus on classic characters/rehashing stories

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpopular opinion: There is too much focus on classic characters/rehashing stories

I'll start by saying that I recognize that I'm a newer viewer (since about 2006), and I totally respect that people who have been watching this show for longer are attached to their faves just like I am! I completely respect the legacy and history of characters from the 70s and 80s! I love a lot of them too!!

But. There are only so many times I can watch John and Marlena face off with the same villains they've beaten again and again since the 80's. I've already seen Justin/Adrienne, Steve/Kayla, and Jack/Jen forced apart and reunited too many times, and I haven't been watching half as long as others. I can't really invest in a story that expects me to care deeply about things that happened in the 80's, that I didn't see and only hear a quick summary of from awkward info-dump dialogue. I feel like every time John and Marlena have a romantic moment, it's a specific callback to something epic that happened 30 years ago. Nostalgia won't work forever, and it doesn't draw in new viewers at all.

At some point, the soap needs to move forward. I love having legacy characters and actors on the show, but why can't they be what they are - grandparents and great-grandparents - instead of being forced into storylines that awkwardly pretend they're still burly action heroes. It just doesn't work. If the soap doesn't invest in new supercouples, new iconic villains and heroes, it'll eventually just burn itself out. We can't rely on history forever.

You can say the same about younger characters. How many times has Gabi gone to prison or been in trouble with the law, or Abby’s mental health been in question, or Brady’s acted like a complete moron when it comes to Kristin, or any of the loves of his life? How long has Eric been in complete despair over his life? When was the last time Nicole was really happy? How long do we have to see Ciara acting oblivious to the pain Ben has caused?

The show stinks at introducing new characters anyway. I’d love to see more kids and grandkids taking over, but they’re really bad at doing this well.
    Cat women
    I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
    Last edited by Cat women; April 30, 2020, 07:23 AM.

Comment

When I read in the previews that John is kidnapped or Marlena is kidnapped or someone's doppelganger shows up, I just roll my eyes.

I think the vets play an important part in the show and can drive their own storylines. Example A: Victor Newman on Y&R. Still driving story after 40 years.

I did have a crazy idea. Back when ATWT ended, Parker decided he was going to become a cop in honor of Hal. Its been ten years - why not bring in someone like that for new blood as a new cop for Salem PD? I know some of my fellow posters on here might object to a crossover - just an idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat women View Post
      You can say the same about younger characters. How many times has Gabi gone to prison or been in trouble with the law, or Abby’s mental health been in question, or Brady’s acted like a complete moron when it comes to Kristin, or any of the loves of his life? How long has Eric been in complete despair over his life? When was the last time Nicole was really happy? How long do we have to see Ciara acting oblivious to the pain Ben has caused?

The show stinks at introducing new characters anyway. I’d love to see more kids and grandkids taking over, but they’re really bad at doing this well.
      At least recent viewers have investment in Ciara, Ben, Gabi, etc. Kristen, I agree, has been rehashed so much that now people are struggling to accept this new whitewashed version of her.

New characters do work, it's just a matter of trial and error. Ben is very compelling. Gabi was new not so long ago. Same with Chad and Abby, who are now a legitimate supercouple. Ciara didn't work in her prior casting, and now does. That's investment at work.

Comment

• Cat women
        Cat women
        Cat women commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s all a matter of opinion Some like Ben and Xander, some don’t. I feel Xander has potential but I’m blah about Ciara and Ben. For me, Xander needs a better backstory to be even better.

Originally posted by ericw808 View Post
      When I read in the previews that John is kidnapped or Marlena is kidnapped or someone's doppelganger shows up, I just roll my eyes.

I think the vets play an important part in the show and can drive their own storylines. Example A: Victor Newman on Y&R. Still driving story after 40 years.

I did have a crazy idea. Back when ATWT ended, Parker decided he was going to become a cop in honor of Hal. Its been ten years - why not bring in someone like that for new blood as a new cop for Salem PD? I know some of my fellow posters on here might object to a crossover - just an idea!
      Vets, that's the word I was looking for! And yes, Victor is a good example. He's involved in stories in a way that actually makes sense. That doesn't mean he's personally running around punching people, or that his marriage is in jeopardy constantly. Instead he's a figure in business, with his kids and grandkids, and with his enemies.

Comment

As someone who has seen must if it, I could do without it as well. But there is a reason why Days have so many writers. No one knows how to write entertaining, character driven, super couple worthy soaps anymore. JMHO

I am just glad that they didn’t show a flashback of Kayla cleaning Patch’s eye. I was shocked. Come to think of it, that is why Patch and Kayla are so boring to me now.

Oh well. I guess the next big fight will be John and Orpheus. Maybe he is going to kidnap Marlena to get his brats back in line.

Anyway, looking for better Days and will be here until the last curtain call.

Comment

• Abby_fan
          Abby_fan
          Abby_fan commented
          Editing a comment
          Kayla getting to know a Steve without a patch would be nice. It is as if Steve isn’t viable unless he is Patch. Patch was so long ago. It is time for a mature love. I guess that is why I like her with Justin. Outgrown that boy boy image what ii is.
          Emerald Greens
          Aspiring soap scribe
          Emerald Greens Y&R is a higher caliber show with a bigger budget so maybe the networks are more invested in what they have to offer.

• Harmonica1985
          Harmonica1985
          Senior Board Member
          Harmonica1985 commented
          Editing a comment
          Abby fan: The patch is an integral part of Steve's character and has been since his introduction over thirty years ago. His fans hate when he loses the patch and in many interviews with the actor he doesn't want the patch gone for good.

• Abby_fan
          Abby_fan
          Abby_fan commented
          Editing a comment
          If his fans only think he is viable with the patch, Steve Johnson. I don’t blame SN for wanting to keep it. Keep the patch. I have been over Stayla for a while. Steve is barley in Salem, so I am use to them not being together for long periods of time and her going back to him. I am going to enjoy his time with Hope and Kayla’s time with Justin until it is over.
          Harmonica1985
          Senior Board Member
          Harmonica1985

Originally posted by Abby_fan View Post
        As someone who has seen must if it, I could do without it as well. But there is a reason why Days have so many writers. No one knows how to write entertaining, character driven, super couple worthy soaps anymore. JMHO

I am just glad that they didn’t show a flashback of Kayla cleaning Patch’s eye. I was shocked. Come to think of it, that is why Patch and Kayla are so boring to me now.

Oh well. I guess the next big fight will be John and Orpheus. Maybe he is going to kidnap Marlena to get his brats back in line.

Anyway, looking for better Days and will be here until the last curtain call.
        How many times has Marlena been kidnapped now, in history? 😂

Comment

I'll just add for context - what drew me in as a new viewer was Sami and newly-introduced EJ. The rest of the canvas was exciting and really well set-up to complement those characters and relationships (Lucas, Austin, Carrie etc) and there were fun side-plots going on. None of it was alienating to me, even though a lot of it was based on past history (like all the legacy characters involved). You really need that to make someone invest in this show! You can't just tell them "This was a big moment in the 80's" and expect them to tune in

Comment

• tiff5555
            tiff5555
            Aspiring soap scribe
            tiff5555 commented
            Editing a comment
            Those was those goldern Days. I don't think we will get it back because the budget shorten up after 2009. I hear ya. I think it's what old time fans wanted, but somehow, it's not working.

I am much more exhausted by the overuse of villains and revenge!!! So boring and tiresome!! Right now enjoying Kayla/Steve and did enjoy the baby swap until they made Kristen violent again. Hate all of Gabi's constant temper tantrums and overdone hate and revenge plots. But not impressed with the Orpheous clan either....feels a lot like pushing the Hernandez clan...which was a failure!

Comment

• LadyCanuck
            LadyCanuck
            Contract Poster
            LadyCanuck commented
            Editing a comment
            Zoe, Evan and Orpheus really do feel like the Hernandez family redux ITA. Orpheus is back as the next arch villain for Jarlena and I don't really care about either Evan or Zoe.

For the first time yesterday I watched part of the closing credits of the show, and saw several writers listed. I didn't catch all the names but I saw
          Lorraine Broderick, I believe her name is. She wrote for Days in the past and maybe there are others who did, also. I have noticed that some
          episodes are so much better written and interesting than others. Could this be why, there are some better writers who pen some scripts?
          I don't know, just wondering. Does anyone know?

Comment

• tiff5555
            tiff5555
            Aspiring soap scribe
            tiff5555 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think all of the writers write, but for certain stories. Ron either writes or directs the ideas.

• jam6242
            jam6242
            Contract Poster
            jam6242 commented
            Editing a comment
            dee2
            dee2 Lorraine has been back at Days for several years. I think she is the breakdown writer.

• dee2
            dee2
            dee2 commented
            Editing a comment
            jam6242
            Contract Poster
            jam6242 and tiff5555 Thanks. I hardly ever watch the credits. I don't usually know who the other writers are, outside of the HW. I just
            am disappointed so many times in the writing, then an episode's writing will snap.

The younger characters are great but their nonsense gets very old. I love the vets and that they are still in the thick of everything. Days would crumble without the vets.

Comment

• Abby_fan
            Abby_fan
            Abby_fan commented
            Editing a comment
            Because they are really doing great 👍🏾 I don’t mean that.😂

It is not an unpopular opinion with me. Having men and women in their sixties/seventies still fighting bad guys, kidnapping and getting kidnapped is a joke. There are a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation characters off screen who should be worked into the show and become the 21st Century DOOL.

Comment

• Harmonica1985
            Harmonica1985
            Senior Board Member
            Harmonica1985 commented
            Editing a comment
            They won't survive without the vets because a big part of their demographic is older people like myself who have watched for decades.

• dee2
            dee2
            dee2 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think Shawn Brady should definitely be a regular. He was gone before he was hardly there, this time.

I like the throwback to past storylines and rehashing of storylines personally. GH pulled away from that and for the longest time I couldn't stomach to even watch it, it just wasn't good at all. JMO of course.

Comment

I think this just shows how uninteresting the “newer” characters are that they finally realized that it’s the older characters that make it worth watching. I can’t stand half of the young people- and I’ve felt that way since the days of Melanie.

unfortunately even though it is great to see characters return, they still can’t capture the magic of Days gone by.

Comment

• dee2
            dee2
            dee2 commented
            Editing a comment
            There are no younger couples that I want to watch, other than Chad/Abby. The characters alone aren't interesting, either. Zoey is the first
            dynamic young character in a long time, and with the upcoming actress switch and the character maybe not being here long, that could end,
            sooner than later.

As Doug Marland once stated: "Learn the history of the show. You would be surprised at the ideas that you can get from the back story of your characters."

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X