Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Corday is Suing Sony

Basically citing they are focusing more on Y&R than Days. Hopefully this doesnt effect days too much link below.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/days-of...ud-1202554627/
    Last edited by mahdi; February 11th, 2019, 03:58 PM. Reason: Deadline Hollywood is the actual source. It is their exclusive, copied by other sites

What a fascinating read. If Corday Productions wants to market Days to overseas markets why don’t they do it themselves? And it’s not like it’s too late. I used to live in Hong Kong and the only soap there was The Bold and Beautiful and they were like 6 years behind. And Days is carried by all major markets in Canada on Global.

However I know that international distribution is very valuable. Without it no soap is viable considering there are probably only 5 million soap watchers in the United States anymore. A great story and one to watch.

Comment

It might be only my solitary opinion but the writing is better on Y&R than on Days. Y&R has always topped Days in the ratings, and it doesn't make constant use of farce and parody. Make Days a better show and then talk about marketing it.

Comment

• Minnesotalover
        Minnesotalover commented
        Editing a comment
        However writing is not the reason Y&R is always on top so your theory doesn’t work Y&R has always had more viewers due to being preceded by the number game show in history

Originally posted by RoidRage View Post
      What a fascinating read. If Corday Productions wants to market Days to overseas markets why don’t they do it themselves? And it’s not like it’s too late. I used to live in Hong Kong and the only soap there was The Bold and Beautiful and they were like 6 years behind. And Days is carried by all major markets in Canada on Global.

However I know that international distribution is very valuable. Without it no soap is viable considering there are probably only 5 million soap watchers in the United States anymore. A great story and one to watch.
      RoidRage, Corday cannot do that himself because Sony is the official distributor of Days.

There is a complicated (and utterly fascinating IMO) history/connection between the Corday family and the Bell Family that goes back to the creation of first Days and later Y&R, which was distributed by Corday, who owns a small part of it. Ken Corday explains all of it in his 2010 book The Days of our Lives. Great reading, I might add.

Much later (don't know what year) Sony was brought in by Corday as the distributor of both shows. Sony invested in both shows in return for the distribution rights.

I had no idea that the Bell's had sold out complete ownership in Y&R to Sony. When did that happen?? I am shocked and very concerned about this also, but there is no question about Corday's dedication to his family legacy, Days of our Lives. He would not do this if he did not feel it is necessary to retake control over Days distribution. Read his book and you'll know that is true.
      Last edited by mahdi; February 11th, 2019, 04:24 PM.
      mahdi
      Moderator: DAYS Forum, soapcentral.com

Questions? Comments? Please email me.

Comment

• RoidRage
        RoidRage commented
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like the backstage boardroom drama is an interesting as the show itself! It's a great story and I stand my my thinking that without distribution deals overseas the genre is dead so they really need to start selling!

Originally posted by soapfan6 View Post
      Basically citing they are focusing more on Y&R than Days. Hopefully this doesnt effect days too much link below.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/days-of...ud-1202554627/
      I’d like to see nbc support Corday since what he is talking about would bring more money to
      nbc as well

Comment

• RoidRage
        RoidRage commented
        Editing a comment
        Minnesotalover you nailed it. Without new markets there aren't enough people to justify these shows. Look at Bold and Beautiful: it's the most watched daily show in the world and they can afford at least 1 location shoot a year.

Wait, Bell sold all ownership of Y&R to Sony? That actually explains a lot.

That said, the quality of Y&R has been consistent, but the storylines are horrendous and don't have the relatable authenticity that the show was known for.

DAYS, on the other hand, while it has good pacing now, the quality and the level of intelligence needed to watch it, is sorely lacking. Yes, RC is campy and has injected much-needed life into the show, but his whole 'hipster-love' parodying and farcing the genre can be so insulting to viewers sometimes. I think if the show/breakdown of the storylines had more polish, with plausible and realistic dialogue, that would help things.

Comment

Sony have failed Days for years. The show is not being distributed to other markets. Days hasn’t been in England for nearly a decade despite there being various Sony tv channels here. Other markets have had to stop showing Days due to it becoming too expensive. I know they stopped broadcasting in France and Barbados for this very reason.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaBowman View Post
          It might be only my solitary opinion but the writing is better on Y&R than on Days. Y&R has always topped Days in the ratings, and it doesn't make constant use of farce and parody. Make Days a better show and then talk about marketing it.
          Days was the #2 or 3 rated soap from 1970-1978, beating Y&R handily. So no, Y&R hasn't always beaten Days in the ratings.

Comment

I'd like to see NBC support their own soap over Sony. What a soapy drama.

Comment

• Carlys #1 Fan
              Carlys #1 Fan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea for once NBC should be behind Days! They failed their soap lineup by not promoting the shows in prime time and slashing budgets.

I don't know what to say. Either Ken finds someone else, or do his own, but that would ultimately mean, it's only going to be in USA only, if he wants the soap to air.

Comment

I can understand both sides. Days ratings have been the lowest compared to the remaining soaps for many years. If the ratings would improve significantly, Sony may become more receptive to Corday's demands.

Comment

Originally posted by CADY View Post
                I can understand both sides. Days ratings have been the lowest compared to the remaining soaps for many years. If the ratings would improve significantly, Sony may become more receptive to Corday's demands.
                Days ratings have been the most consistent of the remaining soaps. They are the only soap to have increased viewership. The ratings aren't the issue. Corday isn't demanding anything other than Sony uphold their end of their contract which is to sell the show to overseas markets just as they do for Y&R. The lawsuit also states that Sony are landing all the financial burden of making the show on Corday productions.

If Sony were to uphold their contract and get Days on television or online streaming in as many markets as they can it would increase revenue for Corday which would help the show to no end. All our complaints about actor gurantees and lousy sets would be over. In turn Days will start to have a production quality to match the other soaps which again would only help Days in the ratings.

Sony are deliberatly tanking the show. Corday is deserving of compenstion for this.

Comment

Ratings are everything probably why Sony may not want to increase things for Days. Ratings have not been stellar either. The ratings each day is up and then downs and the viewers only are viewing based to their liking.
                  Last edited by tiff5555; February 11th, 2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

The Nielsen ratings are so out of date they're archaic. They only count what people watch live on TV or record and watch the same day. That is not how many, many viewers watch these days.
                    mahdi
                    Moderator: DAYS Forum, soapcentral.com

Questions? Comments? Please email me.

Comment

• journmsu
                      journmsu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed. I rarely view shows from mainstream tv/cable. Many viewers today are using online stream sites such as Netflix to watch various programming. If we can create grass for indoor football stadiums, we can certainly figure out a better way of finding out what viewers are really watching and enjoying. Online stream sites are the future, today. Nielsen needs to keep up or get the boot. Good luck to Corday in this battle; Sony is a huge dinosaur that I'm sure won't roll over easily.

• MollyPoppins
                      MollyPoppins commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is a good point. Based on the Nielsen ratings Days appears to be doing just okay, but we have no idea what their numbers are through streaming via the website & app, and then we rarely get a look at their Nielsen + DVR (I think 7-day) viewers. I wish there were a way for us regular Joes to see the full picture on occasion.

• KJ_Contrarian
                      KJ_Contrarian commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well said, wise one. 100% agree. I have watched Days for decades but never once had it "Tracked" by Nielsen.

This worries me. Will this suit end the show?

Comment

• MollyPoppins
                      MollyPoppins commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds like it might be the end if they don't attempt something like this, give the financial situation they're in. I imagine it will be settled out of court monetarily, but the bigger issue is whether they can get out of the deal and secure another distributor. I think NBC might actually be willing to come through for Days, so this will be interesting to see play out.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X