Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I find myself rooting against the good guys (Hope/Jen/Eric)

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MollyPoppins View Post
    This is one of my biggest issues with Ron's version of Days. There are characters who are objectively supposed to be good, who the audience should be rooting for. But they're written in such a way that makes the bad characters seem sympathetic. I think that's a huge part of what's keeping the show from truly clicking for me, like it's missing its heart.

When good characters do bad deeds (especially without punishment), or are hypocrites, it's difficult to feel good when things go their way. My favorite story is an absolute mess right now, and it's partially because of this dynamic. It's weird because I like camp, and I like over-the-top villains but I'm also supposed to like seeing them get their comeuppance. I do like the way characters on both sides of an argument make good points, but it's almost like a bizarro world with respect to rooting interests.
    YES! I feel like I've rooted for every kind of character, but ultimately the writing is going to be a huge factor. If it's so heavy handed I tend to rebel.

I can accept a "good" character doing bad things, but then give the characters some self awareness. These characters don't grow or evolve. They do terrible things and then are stuck at their pedestals and it's like wait NO.

Like you said the heart is missing. The stories are so generic and simplistic with such bizarre stupidity you know there is no plan. Characters are written to fit the plot not the other way around which is where the problems begin.

Comment

• MollyPoppins
      MollyPoppins commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmhmm. I get that villains are more fun to write for and play, but when it's at the expense of the people they ultimately want the audience to root for, well then it becomes a problem. I've said it elsewhere here, but a serial killer schooling a longtime police officer and longtime psychiatrist on how to do their jobs is just beyond eyeroll-inducing.

• dee2
      dee2 commented
      Editing a comment
      MollyPoppins It is unbelievable to see one character so propped, by having
      him seem so much wiser than the professionals, or anyone else. Who knows
      where this nonsense will go next.

I must admits that I am watching for around 1 year now. I don’t have the emotional attachment to all characters. That being said, for me:
    Hope is a dirty cop, wanting to peg Ben with anything, instead of trying to find the real culprit. She should be fired.
    Chad is a bully, beating people up without any repercussions. I don’t like him at all, he does not seems like a good business man either. Abigael deserved better than him.
    Abe is too leniant, his oh well attitude is not a sign of a good leader. He should have fired his new admin, and Hope who is using the police department as her own revenge entity.
    I loved Marlena, until she talked about Ben to Hope, she went down, way down. It is obvious that Hope is not objective at all, but she gave her information anyway. I hope Ben sue her ass for breach of confidence.

When everything is said and done, a good character is truthful and doesn’t bend codes of ethic and laws to fit their own agenda.
    Last edited by timepass; February 10th, 2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Nick'sGirl
      Nick'sGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      yes lets defend Salem's Ted Bundy over Hope. Chad rightfully went at Ben scared he had once again took his child. They will be even when Chad knockes him out and bangs his head again the bed until he is in coma. Spare me Chad is bad.

I don’t care much if Jack and Jennifer end up together but I root for her over Eve.

Hope is using the wrong tactics but realistically who would want their daughter with Ben but that’s not how it will play out.

I couldn’t possibly root for Rex what redeeming qualities does he have? Eric is much better. Sarah could improve but she’s a hot mess and Rex is using a woman who sees emotionally unstable.
    Last edited by Emerald Greens; February 11th, 2019, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• Emerald Greens
      Emerald Greens commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s unrealistic but not unexpected as they are trying to to some degree diminish Ben’s past. I wouldn’t be shocked if they somehow how change it so he’s a serial killer.

I don’t know why they had Ben turn into a killer but since they brought him back they are trying to undo it . Even they do it’s still hard to imagine Eve is more upset with Jennifer than Ben.

• canislupwnus
      canislupwnus commented
      Editing a comment
      i will never root for the immature Eve I need to settle a score from high school but i am doing nothing to the serial killer who killed by child. Please
      You attacked Gabi for doing something to the person who framed her for murder. Logical consistency, therefore, dictates that you would oppose Ben's victims retaliating against him as well.

I don’t know why they had Ben turn into a killer
      To prop Chabby, just like they turned Nick into a rapist to prop Wilson.

• Emerald Greens
      Emerald Greens commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I agree that’s why but it’s so extreme and unnecessary.

Originally posted by Emerald Greens View Post
    I don’t care much if Jack and Jennifer end up together but I root for her over Eve.

Hope is using the wrong tactics but realistically who would want their daughter with Ben but that’s not how it will play out.

I couldn’t possibly root for Rex what redeeming qualities does he have? Eric is much better. Sarah could improve but she USA hot mess and Rex is using a woman who sees emotionally unstable.
    That is exactly the problem. It's not about not wanting her daughter with Ben. I think it's well agreed that she should have a problem with that. The problem is she's rapidly piling more corruption on the corruption she's already got in a vendetta that has seen her outright break the law by conducting an illegal search and strong arming a well known psychiatrist into revealing information when she then twisted trying to force a confession with no concern for whether or not Ben is innocent. She doesn't really seem to care much about what happens to Ciara as long as she can lock up Ben and that's a problem. Hope is a corrupt cop. She's a murderess who had the entire ISA covering up the murder she committed because apparently she's special. She has failed at her job repeatedly and when she's not failing she's doing something wrong like making a deal with a man accused of treason in which she offers to help him beat the charge if he gives her evidence against Ben. And if you want to step into the personal side, she was so obsessed with finding out who was responsible for killing Bo that she didn't have time for Ciara after Chase raped her. The girl had to fend for herself. And when she found out Deimos was the one really responsible for what happened to Bo, she didn't care.

It's not about her having an issue with Ben and Ciara being together. It's about everything else.

Comment

• Emerald Greens
      Emerald Greens commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely. Hope shouldn’t be a cop. She will break the law to serve her agenda no matter what. Forget that she could let the guilty go just to get Ben out of the way.

Originally posted by Stella Ann View Post
    I never thought I'd see the day I didn't love Hope. I agree 100% with her wanting her daughter away from Ben but here I am rooting for Ben and thinking Hope should be fired. Oh, and I roll my eyes at her and Rafe. Hope is-was-smart. There are plenty of ways to get rid of Ben and there she is doing the classic "say you don't like him and push your daughter to him"

And Jen? I'm rooting for Eve instead of Jen? What foolery is this? Is it the wardrobe? Oh, no, wait, that's Kayla. No, with Jen it's either the writing or the way way Missy is playing Jenn since Daniel. She is so whah whah whah, like a nagging old woman. She used to be so vibrant.

Eric is boring and I have been FFing most of his scenes. Yes I am ffing GV and it's easy because Sarah annoys me. I was at Eric's conversation with Marlena. Was she encouraging him to pursue his brother's girl after he said he didn't want to do to Rex what he did to Brady? Shouldn't she tell him to chill for a year and recover?

So I like Xander, Stefan, Leo and Diana. I am rooting for Cin and Eve while my favorites slip further and further into smugville.
    I find Jennifer better then ever. She sucked during nasty Dannifer. Eve is acting like an immature fool. I will never root for her. Eric i root for too. Some bad guys I enjoy but i never root for them.

Comment

• Skins 2008
      Skins 2008 commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't say I'm rooting for Jordan but I like as a psycho villain because I find her enjoyable to watch now, on the other hand I don't find Eve enjoyable to watch since she came back on NYE'..

Oh you are not the only one! I've been wishing for Abby to be dragged back to the insane asylum for weeks now! LOL!

Comment

I almost always find myself rooting against the “good guys”- for several reasons. Sometimes the bad guys are just more entertaining to watch. Also, I don’t watch to see a happy little romance or whatever. Sometimes the “good guys” are just so sanctimonious and obnoxious that I can’t stand them.

What i hate more than anything is when the bad guys scheme is found out just because the “good guy” had a feeling. You can’t just treat someone that way because you have a feeling they are up to something. You need proof. Sure we, the audience know, but in their world, they just “guess” that someone is scheming and decide to prove it. Yes, they are right, but they had no real reason to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by dee2 View Post
        I love Hope and Jen and I like Eric more than I ever have. The good people of Salem.
        I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Comment

• dee2
          dee2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not at all, there are many of us.

I'm with you, except for Jennifer. I like Jennifer and can't stand Eve.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
        Working...
        X