Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I find myself rooting against the good guys (Hope/Jen/Eric)

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find myself rooting against the good guys (Hope/Jen/Eric)

I never thought I'd see the day I didn't love Hope. I agree 100% with her wanting her daughter away from Ben but here I am rooting for Ben and thinking Hope should be fired. Oh, and I roll my eyes at her and Rafe. Hope is-was-smart. There are plenty of ways to get rid of Ben and there she is doing the classic "say you don't like him and push your daughter to him"

And Jen? I'm rooting for Eve instead of Jen? What foolery is this? Is it the wardrobe? Oh, no, wait, that's Kayla. No, with Jen it's either the writing or the way way Missy is playing Jenn since Daniel. She is so whah whah whah, like a nagging old woman. She used to be so vibrant.

Eric is boring and I have been FFing most of his scenes. Yes I am ffing GV and it's easy because Sarah annoys me. I was at Eric's conversation with Marlena. Was she encouraging him to pursue his brother's girl after he said he didn't want to do to Rex what he did to Brady? Shouldn't she tell him to chill for a year and recover?

So I like Xander, Stefan, Leo and Diana. I am rooting for Cin and Eve while my favorites slip further and further into smugville.

I have been rooting for the bad guys since Kristen came back in 2012

Comment

Eric is unwatchable to me with Sarah. I too thought Marlena was totally wrong in her advice. I know Rex is not her son but they are both Roman’s. Maggie is another one that can get under my skin. Poor Ben! I wasn’t a big fan but he is really getting a raw deal from Hope and now Chad.

Comment

Hope hasn't been a good person for a long time. The writers have ruined her. I feel bad for KA.

Comment

• Jj1701
          Jj1701 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree. And I don't see that they've done much with Jen or Eric either.

To be honest can you even call them "good". They are judgemental and hypocrites. It's easy to root against them especially Hope.

Comment

• 50yearfan
          50yearfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, you put into words what I was thinking.

• PeaceOut
          PeaceOut commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes that is exactly why the OP has no problems rooting against the so called good guys.

OMG good post. I absolutely HATE Hope. She is judgmental and treats Rafe like her lapdog most of the time. She should NEVER have been named commissioner, she can't handle the job or people and she commits to many crimes herself.

ITA about Jen. Where is that vibrant Jen who worked at the Spectator? She is drab and a nag and her wardrobe is HORRIBLE, she dresses like she's 80. She's also a terrible mother.

Eric Eric Eric. I LOVE GV, he is one of the hottest guys in daytime. Sorry but I did not like him with Nicole, I didn't see the chemistry. Then they put this hot guy with boring Jen who was definitely too old for him so I was happy to see Sarah come along just to give him someone his own age. I remember the actress from B&B and I wish I saw that girl on my screen (also wish she'd do something with her hair it was so cute on B&B).

Comment

I love Hope and Jen and I like Eric more than I ever have. The good people of Salem.

Comment

• tiff5555
            tiff5555 commented
            Editing a comment
            God bless your soul! Your other post has me thinking a lot, of not saying negative things of the characters. To me it's hard for certain characters. I guess it's all in what I think.

• dee2
            dee2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Tiff, I was talking about calling characters by their name, or in this case the nickname given to Hope by Bo. Sometimes that nickname is
            turned, to be derogatory, and I was glad to see that you didn't do that. I comment negatives about characters I don't like or their s/l; I just
            use their character name. The guidelines are clear about what is allowed when being negative. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to make you feel
            bad, we all have negative thoughts toward certain characters or s/ls.

I am right there with you OP! That us because the alleged "good" guys are not good at all! I guess the writing just isnt the same as it used to be. One thing i know is that i never root for the hypocrites and people who act holier than thou. I love "good guy" characters as long as they are actually good, or at least own up to their mistakes and dont act better than anyone else. I also root for the grey characters. I love bad girl/guy as long as they own it and dont try to be something they are not.

Comment

I like Jen and Hope and I have no problems with them I will always root for them over Ben or EVE. I like Eric also. They are good people unlike Ben or Eve.

Comment

• UncleHourglass
              UncleHourglass commented
              Editing a comment
              i agree with you for the most part...they are good people... but they are not FUN characters. Not anymore anyway. Hope is always just gnashing her teeth and Jen says everything as if she's on the brink of tears. They're becoming too heavy and monotonous.

I definitely root against Hope (and Rafe, when he's around). And honestly, I think we're supposed to root for Abe, but I keep hoping Melinda beats him. And I root for Leo over Will/Sonny. Leo's way more entertaining and interesting.

This is a problem lately. Ron seems to love writing "bad" characters, and I think he doesn't know how to write the good ones as well.

Comment

I know that sometimes the “good characters” make mistakes and over step and sometimes may even be hipocritical. But I will always take a good character who means well over a calculated malicious one. How can I support someone like Eve. All she does is lie, manipulate and corrupt if it suits her and she doesn’t care who she hurts. Even if she owns her badness which she doesn’t bc she pretends to be good which is even worse, but even so, I can’t get behind ill intended people.

Comment

I will never get this new concept of rooting for the bad guys over the good guys. Sure the good guys make mistakes, over and over, but give me a character that doesn't purposely set out to hurt others or take joy in other's pain, any day, over a ruthless, evil, toxic character. That doesn't make them interesting, it just makes them angst for the good guys to overcome.

Comment

I think the show did well with villains like Stefano, who we knew was a bad guy, but very charismatic for Bo and the rest to try to bring down. Good
                  writing then.. Now, good characters are being written badly, in order to make others look good. Not the same.

Comment

The "good guys" are absolute trash. They are toxic, vile, judgemental, hypocrites with insane double standards. They do the most outrageous disgusting things then point their finger at everyone else.

To be honest underdogs always end up being fan favorites.

The way they drag Hope on Twitter. Been laughing about this tweet so long. https://twitter.com/dickkoryy/status/1092540366656548871
                    Last edited by BubbleGum; February 9th, 2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stella Ann View Post
                    I never thought I'd see the day I didn't love Hope. I agree 100% with her wanting her daughter away from Ben but here I am rooting for Ben and thinking Hope should be fired. Oh, and I roll my eyes at her and Rafe. Hope is-was-smart. There are plenty of ways to get rid of Ben and there she is doing the classic "say you don't like him and push your daughter to him"

And Jen? I'm rooting for Eve instead of Jen? What foolery is this? Is it the wardrobe? Oh, no, wait, that's Kayla. No, with Jen it's either the writing or the way way Missy is playing Jenn since Daniel. She is so whah whah whah, like a nagging old woman. She used to be so vibrant.

Eric is boring and I have been FFing most of his scenes. Yes I am ffing GV and it's easy because Sarah annoys me. I was at Eric's conversation with Marlena. Was she encouraging him to pursue his brother's girl after he said he didn't want to do to Rex what he did to Brady? Shouldn't she tell him to chill for a year and recover?

So I like Xander, Stefan, Leo and Diana. I am rooting for Cin and Eve while my favorites slip further and further into smugville.
                    To me, this speaks to the writing.....or the lack thereof. It is much easier to promote and push over the top evil than it is to write normal/average/admirable yet flawed decent characters. This trend started a while back, and frankly, I think it is a bad thing and not just for the genre. It is true of a lot of reality tv....who gets the fame, the interest? The bullies. One need not look to far to see how it works in real life and destroys.
                    I LOVED DAYS when actual believable flawed humans like Bo, Hope, Roman, Marlena et al, the Brady families, the Horton families drove the stories and the villains were the obstacles. How sad that now felons, from serial killers to rapists to violent mobsters drive the stories and decent human beings are so trashed by writers to make them the obstacles.

Comment

• LadyCanuck
                      LadyCanuck commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ICAM about reality tv. I loathe it. It celebrates and rewards the worst traits in people.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X