Ad Below Title

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AllBoHope View Post

Personally, I don't care about Will or Gabi and don't fall for ALL that unbelievable stuff either although I do enjoy some of the romantic, true-love story fantasies (even then, I like them slowly built & well written), but an "automatic change" in a SK is off the charts for me w/o a good redemption story SHOWN onscreen & not just saying it happened offscreen OR where they prove he wasn't a SK after all which would be the best option IMO! I appreciate more substance than that. To each his own I guess!
    Do you really think they're just gonna leave it at that? It just seems obvious to me that as invested as they are in redeeming Ben and making him a viable character (which is why they're bringing back his sister Jordan), that something will happen to really prove to everyone that he has changed. Perhaps by saving Ciara again somehow (probably from the person that actually started the fire at the cabin). Also, just no at whitewashing his serial killer past. There would be nothing to redeem him for, and it's just more compelling to see him struggle to live with his past while trying to truly change for the better.

Comment

• Wheels08
      Wheels08 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been wondering if maybe Ciara is about to get shot and Ben jumps in the way. That could be how they bring in Jordan because they take him to the hospital and the hospital staff contacts Jordan since she is Ben's next of kin.

• soapjunkie1987
      soapjunkie1987 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wheels08 That's a real possibility.

Originally posted by lovelydtc View Post

Yea I doubt it is Hope; but even if it was I applaud her. What sane person would be OK with their child being with a serial killer. Hope has broken the law for far less; this is her child. I guess hope is not mesmerized by strangle bae. pfft

Just to add, Ben came to town a killer; he had killed someone in Florida and his father covered it for him. The Abby making him a killer is a joke; I mean damn everyone in Salem should become serial killers because they all get cheated on.
    THIS!! Writing 101. Serial killers are NOT viable for redemption. Just not. Even if he is on meds, even if he was a violent mentally ill person, so what? ALL SERIAL KILLERS are mentally ill. No sane person goes around killing people for pleasure. Here's the thing, too many want to put Ben's killing on par of what Hope did to Stefano. And it is not. Basic laws everywhere know the difference. Of course the BAD writing of Hope and Rafe hiding it and now acting like jerks does not help. But Hope was Stefano's VICTIM....many times, he kidnapped her, brainwashed her, raped her and so much more. As well he did so much to her family, and friends.
    But Ben killed random people. Any decent writer who knows better (and can put ego aside, because that's all these shock type BS stores are.......self serving bad stories that are so over the top, they draw in those who think the genre is cr*-p anyway). While I do not encourage gimmick writing, there are plenty of ways to make Ben and Ciara viable (like a brain chip, or better yet, and evil twin). Instead a once beloved iconic character like Hope is being sacrificed for this nonsense and it is ridiculous. No parent ever would be OK with a child having any kind of a relationship, friendship or more) with a person who murdered, sadistically, several people. Criminally and violently insane is not just some random mental illness. Generally speaking, going as far as killing, means a psychotic break happened. And in Ben's case, more than once. Again, so glad my favorite Bo is off the canvas. He would be right there with Hope doing anything to stop this from happening because as you said "What sane person would be OK with their child being with a serial killer".
    Last edited by prfan2008; 09-13-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandJenfan View Post
      I love Shawn. He is his father's son. Level-headed. He is not corrupt like his mother.
      Thank goodness Shawn is a decent young man. Unlike his disappointing mother Hope. I don’t know what has happened to Hope since Bo died. She is as corrupt and criminal
      ss they come and she is the top cop!! Unbelievable and I hope Ciara’s brother somehow saves Ciara’s man, that is Ben!

Comment

Originally posted by soapjunkie1987 View Post

Do you really think they're just gonna leave it at that? It just seems obvious to me that as invested as they are in redeeming Ben and making him a viable character (which is why they're bringing back his sister Jordan), that something will happen to really prove to everyone that he has changed. Perhaps by saving Ciara again somehow (probably from the person that actually started the fire at the cabin). Also, just no at whitewashing his serial killer past. There would be nothing to redeem him for, and it's just more compelling to see him struggle to live with his past while trying to truly change for the better.
        You have more confidence in the writing than I do - I've seen it go downhill for over a decade now with different writing teams, so I have NO idea whether they're "gonna leave it at that" or not? I've watched sl's with great potential (Stefano's shooting is ONE that comes to mind) that get's swept under the rug along with that atrocious body hiding - had hoped this new team would go back & follow it up with, possibly, Hope actually going to trial, etc. I guess they can't do it because of the fact RAFE, stupidly, advised a distraught Hope to hide the body & they wrote that into a corner because it would actually make Rafe look awful - they just let Hope take the WHOLE fall even tho she was clearly out of her mind with all she'd been through)! So, I have NO idea what kind of redemption sl they'll do for Ben if at all since they've "said" he went to a mental hospital & Marlena says he's "fine"! They really need to have it be an imposter or do an evil twin sl because SK is hard to redeem IMO! Time will tell, but I do hope they do something quality in that area because Ciara & Ben do have chemistry to build from! If not, I think it's shallow & over the top and difficult to invest in - just MY taste & expectations! I'll keep reading!
        Last edited by AllBoHope; 09-13-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prfan2008 View Post

THIS!! Writing 101. Serial killers are NOT viable for redemption. Just not. Even if he is on meds, even if he was a violent mentally ill person, so what? ALL SERIAL KILLERS are mentally ill. No sane person goes around killing people for pleasure. Here's the thing, too many want to put Ben's killing on par of what Hope did to Stefano. And it is not. Basic laws everywhere know the difference. Of course the BAD writing of Hope and Rafe hiding it and now acting like jerks does not help. But Hope was Stefano's VICTIM....many times, he kidnapped her, brainwashed her, raped her and so much more. As well he did so much to her family, and friends.
          But Ben killed random people. Any decent writer who knows better (and can put ego aside, because that's all these shock type BS stores are.......self serving bad stories that are so over the top, they draw in those who think the genre is cr*-p anyway). While I do not encourage gimmick writing, there are plenty of ways to make Ben and Ciara viable (like a brain chip, or better yet, and evil twin). Instead a once beloved iconic character like Hope is being sacrificed for this nonsense and it is ridiculous. No parent ever would be OK with a child having any kind of a relationship, friendship or more) with a person who murdered, sadistically, several people. Criminally and violently insane is just some random mental illness. Generally speaking, going as far as killing, means a psychotic break happened. And in Ben's case, more than once. Again, so glad my favorite Bo is off the canvas. He would be right there with Hope doing anything to stop this from happening because as you said "What sane person would be OK with their child being with a serial killer".
          Great post and I suggested earlier the BEST option for Ben's redemption (and he needs one more than any character ever on here IMO if he's gonna be leading man material - agree about the SK being off the charts & not comparable to other things - like Hope shooting Stefano) was the evil twin sl or an imposter. Can't think of anything else that would clear his past! You're right on about Bo, too - he'd be doing even more than Hope to keep Ciara from this guy!

Comment

I just have to say, I hate Tripp so much. He makes my blood boil. I hate watching him with Ciara. He doesn’t deserve to breath the same air as her. I wish he would just go away!

Comment

• texastrilogy12
              texastrilogy12 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ciara has crappy taste in men, all of them had issues, but then again, so do she.

You have more confidence in the writing than I do - I've seen it go downhill for over a decade now with different writing teams, so I have NO idea whether they're "gonna leave it at that" or not? I've watched sl's with great potential (Stefano's shooting is ONE that comes to mind) that get's swept under the rug along with that atrocious body hiding - had hoped this new team would go back & follow it up with, possibly, Hope actually going to trial, etc. I guess they can't do it because of the fact RAFE, stupidly, advised a distraught Hope to hide the body & they wrote that into a corner because it would actually make Rafe look awful - they just let Hope take the WHOLE fall even tho she was clearly out of her mind with all she'd been through)! So, I have NO idea what kind of redemption sl they'll do for Ben if at all since they've "said" he went to a mental hospital & Marlena says he's "fine"! They really need to have it be an imposter or do an evil twin sl because SK is hard to redeem IMO! Time will tell, but I do hope they do something quality in that area because Ciara & Ben do have chemistry to build from! If not, I think it's shallow & over the top and difficult to invest in - just MY taste & expectations! I'll keep reading!
            I actually don't trust RC very much otherwise LOL. I just recognize it's not 1985 anymore, so my expectations are adjusted accordingly. That being said, though, they still seem to be too invested in Ben's redemption to just say he's cured and then move on. This isn't GH. They will most definitely have him do some kind of heroic act that will REALLY prove he's changed. That's just how redemption stories go, even these days. And it's my opinion that any character can be redeemed, even an ex-serial killer. And you don't need to pull out the tired brainwashed or evil twin card to do it, and I already know from RSW interviews that they're not going that route. And I'm glad they're not. Once upon a time I hoped they would too (because I never liked that they took him to such an extreme in the first place), but to do that would not only take away his past, but also a lot of his depth as a character, and that's just a big no. He can absolutely be redeemed while keeping his past intact IMO, and that's exactly what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by soapjunkie1987 View Post

I actually don't trust RC very much otherwise LOL. I just recognize it's not 1985 anymore, so my expectations are adjusted accordingly. That being said, though, they still seem to be too invested in Ben's redemption to just say he's cured and then move on. This isn't GH. They will most definitely have him do some kind of heroic act that will REALLY prove he's changed. That's just how redemption stories go, even these days. And it's my opinion that any character can be redeemed, even an ex-serial killer. And you don't need to pull out the tired brainwashed or evil twin card to do it, and I already know from RSW interviews that they're not going that route. And I'm glad they're not. Once upon a time I hoped they would too (because I never liked that they took him to such an extreme in the first place), but to do that would not only take away his past, but also a lot of his depth as a character, and that's just a big no. He can absolutely be redeemed while keeping his past intact IMO, and that's exactly what they're doing.
              While I don't agree that a SK can just be "changed" because he does a heroic act, etc. I do realize that'll be the route they'll take (MUCH easier to write) but that just doesn't cut it for me about a SK - they 're EXTREME sickos - even on a soap. While I DO accept characters having flaws & rough around the edges (the type a parent wouldn't choose for their child either but being redeemed showing their good, compassionate, loving side), a SK is just off the charts for me - I'll always think it needs more than a "heroic" act, etc. That's just me &, again, for MY entertainment (and is why I no longer watch - I mainly read to keep up with Hope as long as she's on canvas - invested in her from her start, but they've taken the pleasure of watching her away) I just don't enjoy today's writing style. Got used to the quality stuff & present-day just doesn't hold a candle.

You have fun since your "expectations are adjusted" LOL! They need more of you and you'll be getting what YOU enjoy for sure with this upcoming sl - not such a high bar for Ben if this is, indeed, what they do to make him leading man material. Won't take much in the line of writing - that's for sure! Enjoy!

Comment

• dee2
                dee2 commented
                Editing a comment
                And if the show does make Ben a leading man character, it will have fallen as low as it can go.

• dee2
                dee2 commented
                Editing a comment
                And he was not 'redeemed'. Abby and Kate were the only two who thought so. That's why I could like watching a good actor play a villain,
                like I liked watching Stefano. I have never found one thing to like, watching Ben.

Great post and I suggested earlier the BEST option for Ben's redemption (and he needs one more than any character ever on here IMO if he's gonna be leading man material - agree about the SK being off the charts & not comparable to other things - like Hope shooting Stefano) was the evil twin sl or an imposter. Can't think of anything else that would clear his past! You're right on about Bo, too - he'd be doing even more than Hope to keep Ciara from this guy!
              That's not redemption. That's erasing the past. The same kind of thing that has been blasted time and again on this board for how it takes away all impact of any storyline we ever see be revealing it may all just be changed later.

And Bo would indeed be opposed to Ben being near Ciara. However, he wouldn't be corrupt the way Hope is. He wouldn't be abusing his power. He'd be acting as a father, not as a corrupt police commissioner. Bo was better than that. Better than the Hope we have now.

Comment

• soapjunkie1987
                soapjunkie1987 commented
                Editing a comment
                Once again, co-signing.

I think Robert "Ben" is a great actor and good looking without a doubt... but how can people support a love between him and Ciara.. I can't see it.. the guy is loco... and could be dangerous.... Jealously drove him insane before... so whats to keep him from going down the same road..again..
              it is going to happen because he don't like Tripp.

Comment

• soapjunkie1987
                soapjunkie1987 commented
                Editing a comment
                They wouldn't bring him back (and on contract; he's still taping) just to take him back down that same dark road again. The ONLY path for him in order to keep him around long-term is redemption, and that's what they're doing. This time he's not going to be just a prop and thrown under the bus (and backed over several times) like with Chabby. He's actually going to get the girl.
                Last edited by soapjunkie1987; 09-14-2018, 10:45 AM.

• ckg1
                ckg1 commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree SJ, why bring RSW back to be destroyed like before for Chabby(Gabi’s turn at it now). Chabby needed to destroy others as usual for propping them. Cin has the most potential for something special that I haven’t seen in years! Why would they bring Ben back to get run over and as you say the bus backing up over him several times?? It doesn’t fit with what we’re seeing in his personality this time around at all.

Originally posted by JackandJenfan View Post

It is not about Hope not being ok with Cin. The issue is her breaking the law and abusing her position/power. Just because she did it before for less doesn't make it right.
              Like I said I don't gave a damn if Hope breaks the law to keep her child away from a serial killer. Salem PD is a joke when it comes to the law. Even when Roman was commissioner he broke the law for his family and friends. I am not going to clutch my pearls over Hope trying to keep her child away from Salem's recent serial killer. Nothing is right about a serial killer being free to roam around the town where he brutally murdered innocent folks. Eve has to see that cretin around town knowing her daughter was snuffed out by his hands. I will take Hope's abuse of power over a serial killer any day, but that is just me. Ben is so sorry for what he did then maybe he should spare the people who family members he murdered and go live in another town where they don't know him. Take his meds and be happy. I know he isn't going anywhere but just saying.

Comment

• soapjunkie1987
                soapjunkie1987 commented
                Editing a comment
                And he was about to. Ciara convinced him to stay. But let's be real, what if he did and the folks in that new town got wind somehow of who he is and what he did? He would essentially be living on the run again just like he did with his sister for most of his life. That's not a life. It actually would be better to stay, take your lumps and fight for yourself than turning into a weird version of The Fugitive.
                Last edited by soapjunkie1987; 09-14-2018, 02:03 PM.

• Elle23276
                Elle23276 commented
                Editing a comment
                Eve cared so much about her daughter that she was f*cking her boyfriend’s brains out on a regular basis. Not a bit of hesitation, apprehension, or regret. In return, Paige hated her mother’s guts. So much for the idyllic, “terms of endearment” mommy-daughter relationship that we have been asked to swallow from the funeral to now. Nonsense. You don’t do that to your kid in the past, while claiming that you love them in the present.
                Last edited by Elle23276; 09-14-2018, 06:14 PM.

Originally posted by icyblue2034 View Post

That's not redemption. That's erasing the past. The same kind of thing that has been blasted time and again on this board for how it takes away all impact of any storyline we ever see be revealing it may all just be changed later.

And Bo would indeed be opposed to Ben being near Ciara. However, he wouldn't be corrupt the way Hope is. He wouldn't be abusing his power. He'd be acting as a father, not as a corrupt police commissioner. Bo was better than that. Better than the Hope we have now.
              Bo never had to deal with a serial killer sniffing around his daughter. He may have very well broken to the law to get her away from Ben. Let's not pretend Bo was above breaking the law.

Comment

• dee2
                dee2 commented
                Editing a comment
                People want to remember Bo with rose colored glasses. Bo was ready several times to go outside the
                law; Abe or Roman, sometimes Hope, reined him in. With that, though, these writers have done enough
                of a job on the Hope character; I don't want to see her manufacture evidence.

• ckg1
                ckg1 commented
                Editing a comment
                But Hope is now a Police Commissioner. Yet, she has been as corrupt as they come. Awful abuse of power.
                As for Ben, he saved Ciara on that road and from what I see, he’ll treat Ciara like s princess. Probably better than any guy, even Tripp who seems to waffle to Claire, annoyingly. Never thought I’d like Ben again, but he’s making me believe he has changed, and he is great with Ciara!

Originally posted by icyblue2034 View Post

We don't know for sure what Bo would've done since he's not here & these writers are so different along their writing style (the ONE thing that makes me accept that Bo isn't here - they'd likely have destroyed him, too, to prop what they wanted to push)! What most of us who know Bo, however, feel is he'd be as bad or worse about Ben/Ciara than Hope is! Hope's trying to be what she AND Bo would've done to save their daughter from a SK, IMO, and he would, indeed "abuse any power he had" if that's what it took (call it "corrupt" or what)! I do agree that Hope isn't the same awesome character she was until Bo died, but what she's doing to protect her child is ONE thing I do like & agree with her about!

Comment

All I can say is Hope is also a killer (anyone remember Stefano) yet people relish in calling Ben a killer even though he was locked up and rehabilitated and not once do anyone remember how Hope shot Stefano to death and it was covered up for her and she nor Rafe pulled one single day for it. Ben has changed and has been rehabilitated, don't they believe in the system in which they claim to work and believe in? Right now I prefer Ben to Hope, Rafe or Roman.

Comment

Eve having sex a million times with JJ does not change the fact her daughter was brutally murdered by a serial killer who is living in the same town he murdered three innocent women and attempted to murder three other people in. It does not make a difference how many times it is brought up that someone else is a killer, no one presently in fictional Salem has done the kind of horrific things Ben did. Point blank period. If Ben really was sorry for what he did he would leave town no matter who asked him to stay. He can't be that dumb that he thinks fixing a bike and showing his abs has taken away from the carnage he left in his path because his "woman" cheated on him. And to the person who asked who did Ben kill in Florida, I have no clue but it was mentioned by Clyde and Ben was taken to Florida for questioning on the murder but Clyde had covered it up. I am sure Ron and team wants us to forget that little info but I remember it clearly.

Comment

• soapjunkie1987
                    soapjunkie1987 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It wasn't a murder, but an illegal gambling ring. I posted it in a comment to someone else asking in another thread, and I'll post it here (from Ben's profile):
                    But Ben's legal troubles weren't over there. The FBI came looking for Ben. It turned out that the bar he worked for in Florida was really a front for a big-time gambling ring. Ben retained Aiden's services again. He told Aiden that while he knew about the games, he never took part in them. He would just direct people looking for a game to the action. The FBI wasn't after Ben, but was going to use him to get to the boss of the ring. When Clyde heard about this, he arranged for one of the FBI's witnesses to be killed in jail. Without the witness, the case fell apart and charges against Ben were dropped.

-----------------------------------

Also, it's not like Ben was an easy sell in even staying in town. His mind was made up; he was leaving. Ciara practically had to order him to stay.
                    Last edited by soapjunkie1987; 09-14-2018, 07:48 PM.

• dee2
                    dee2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    But Andre was still the villain we could like to watch, like Stefano. Ben being with Ciara is a travesty.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                Working...
                X