Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amnesiac Will was the "purer Will"

Here's something that's interesting to me: When Will had no idea who he really was, no memory of his past, no family or historical associations other than the ones Susan had given him, and only his innate feelings and drives to go on, who did he choose? Paul. Not Sonny.

The only thing that made him want to reconnect with Sonny was memories. Literally. A week ago in Salem time he was pledging his love to Paul, and now suddenly he's not. For some people, Will getting his memory back might've seemed like a door opening up to a big, wonderful world. To me it was more like attaching a thousand-pound weight to his neck. Now he has memories of Sonny -- but that comes with a lot of associations that might not have been healthy in the first place, including the possible subconscious notion that Sonny was who he "had" to end up with because he was his first love after coming out.

The whole Will story is so lame. Your right I liked Will better when he didn't remember. This love triangle has gone on WAY too long. The 3 of them need to just move in together and call it done. They all care for each other so why not. I think the 3 of them make a great team. It is a soap after all....

Comment

What? No one has to be thrilled with how things are playing out but Will walking around like a blank canvas. Not even remembering his DAUGHTER??!!

Whorita fans are really losing it.

Comment

That's like saying I like you when you're drunk, on drugs, when you're not of sound mind, broken and missing pieces of yourself. That's sick.

Comment

• sonia
        sonia
        Senior Board Member
        sonia commented
        Editing a comment
        But that’s the only way Paul can have Will.

• cali815
        cali815
        Board Regular
        cali815 commented
        Editing a comment
        Once again, having amnesia is not being incapacitated or drunk or drugged or mentally unstable. It's like you're saying,"What, Will wants Paul over Sonny? He must be crazy!" Well it is all just perspective, isn't it. You can say the only way Paul can have Will is if Will doesn't have his memories OR the only way Sonny can get Will is if he remembers his past with him (or if he gets him when he first comes out). Anyway you slice it, Will chose both of them at one point of another. And he actually chose Paul twice -- once while he was married to Sonny and again when he returned without memories.

• KatLovesSoaps
        KatLovesSoaps
        Board Regular
        KatLovesSoaps commented
        Editing a comment
        When you've been violently strangled to death, then INJECTED by some crazy life saving serum (he was drugged), mind warped and confused by some crazy lady pretending to be your mother and calling you EJ. Then you find out that's a lie and you're this blank canvas. You're not the poster child for mental stability. Will remembers everything including Paul - pre and post amnesia and yet he's still kicking his sorry ass to the curb. Like his dear brother said Paul is a placeholder.

We are formed by our experiences and memories, so amnesiac Will didn't have that baggage of all his life experiences influencing his choices, but he also didn't remember all the love and good times that helped shape his life. I think he'd say that remembering all the negatives in his life is worth remembering all the love that he had and is there for him, still. The real, whole Will seems to be choosing Sonny. I couldn't really stand blank canvas Will, since it seemed inevitable that he'd get his memory back and realize how much more substantial a life he had, and Paul would just be cast aside. I always thought it was naïve of Paul to get involved with Will the way he did.

Comment

And for me this is why Will and Paul weren't a verifiable coupling. WilSon is loved because of who they were and are and all the problems that come with that.

If Will and Paul were to have become a viable couple then it needs to be the REAL Will Horton, warts and all.

It's sad that the true Will Horton isn't the one that would be acceptable to be with Paul.

And for me this is in no way similar to John and Marlena because John isn't a character that grew up on the show where his character's traits and personality were formed so the viewer got to know him.

Maybe that why Will and Paul shouldn't work if there isn't any accepting of Will being his true self.

Comment

• cali815
          cali815
          Board Regular
          cali815 commented
          Editing a comment
          It is very similar to John and Marlena but in a reverse way. John is a character that thought he had a history in Salem (I can't remember if he had implanted memories of Roman's past or just came to believe that is who he was and forged a life, as Roman, with Marlena) and then found out he was really a blank slate. Marlena fell in love with John, attaching to him her memories of Roman and building new memories with him. She eventually found that the new memories / feelings with John were stronger than her past feelings with Roman.

This happens in sl’s sometimes the person with amnesia is often more likable and less of a jerk ,once they get their memories back it changes them and not always for the better.

For the record I was a Will and Sonny fan but shortly after they were married Will became totally self absorbed. He and Gabi were out doing what they wanted and Sonny was the one working hard and taking care of Ari . I don’t know if their selfishness rubbed off on Sonny but they lost root ability .

Comment

Originally posted by KatLovesSoaps View Post
          What? No one has to be thrilled with how things are playing out but Will walking around like a blank canvas. Not even remembering his DAUGHTER??!!

Whorita fans are really losing it.
          Originally posted by looktothestars View Post
          That's like saying I like you when you're drunk, on drugs, when you're not of sound mind, broken and missing pieces of yourself. That's sick.
          LOL. Simmer down y'all.

My point is that freed from outside ideas and influences about who he "should" love, Will was naturally attracted to Paul, not Sonny.

Are you guys saying Will was less of a person when he had amnesia?

Comment

Will was "purer" because he wasn't Will. He was nobody. He had no life experiences, no references, nothing at all. Not even his own daughter. So of course he was "purer". There was little difference between him and a newborn baby in terms of identity.

You say he was freed from outside ideas and influences. What you mean is he was freed from himself. He wasn't the man that fell in love with Sonny. He wasn't the man that had a ONS with Paul. He wasn't the man in a marriage Paul set out to break up. He wasn't the man that (almost) died after proclaiming his desire to fix his marriage.

Was Will less of a person? Not exactly. He was less of Will Horton. He wasn't Will Horton at all.

Our life experiences, good and bad, make us who we are. They influence us in ways both infinite and complex. Will had all of that taken from him and, aside from a lie Will either hasn't realized or has chosen to ignore, Paul was the only one not pushing Will's past. Of course it's because he didn't want Will to remember, first because he wanted him away from Sonny and second because he knew remembering Sonny would be the end of what Paul and Will had. That's the thing: When Will has his entire life and identity, full possession of all facts, he wants Sonny. He only wanted Paul when he had nothing else. That is to say, the 20 something year old man we've watched grow up on screen and go through a groundbreaking story wants Sonny. Can you really judge a person by what they want when the only thing they remember about themselves is their own name?

Comment

I feel amnesiac Will wasn't Will at all. He was an entirely different person. Without his memories of course he was going to form new bonds with other people, his family and friends. But c'mon when Will found Dr. Rolf's formula of course he was going to want to try it. And Paul of all people knew that he could regain his memories of Sonny and possibly his love for him as well. I for one am glad the old Will is back and not solely because I adore Wilson but mostly for Will's relationship with Ari.

Comment

Originally posted by CallAboutTheCat View Post
                Here's something that's interesting to me: When Will had no idea who he really was, no memory of his past, no family or historical associations other than the ones Susan had given him, and only his innate feelings and drives to go on, who did he choose? Paul. Not Sonny.

The only thing that made him want to reconnect with Sonny was memories. Literally. A week ago in Salem time he was pledging his love to Paul, and now suddenly he's not. For some people, Will getting his memory back might've seemed like a door opening up to a big, wonderful world. To me it was more like attaching a thousand-pound weight to his neck. Now he has memories of Sonny -- but that comes with a lot of associations that might not have been healthy in the first place, including the possible subconscious notion that Sonny was who he "had" to end up with because he was his first love after coming out.
                Agreed- I was hoping they would do like Jason on GH and he would never get his memory back. He was way more interesting. That he just is over Paul is dumbfounding to me.

Comment

LOL. Simmer down y'all.

My point is that freed from outside ideas and influences about who he "should" love, Will was naturally attracted to Paul, not Sonny.

Will was attracted to Paul MORE. He had some attraction to Sonnyl but it was more powerful for Paul especially when he saw Paul in a towel, top less!

And Will wasn't less of a person in theory but not the true version of Will Horton. And it says something where you just want a problem free Will with Paul.

And now now that he feels the love for Sonny, it's because he is somehow being influenced by outside forces?! Well it that justifies the opinion that Will's love for Sonny isn't real or true for Paul fans then so be it.
                  Hopefully the time left of him on the show will give some comfort to his fans that such a wonderful, amazing and flawless man will someone find the perfect man and perfect love because it nothing less than he deserves eh?
                  CHK DeWilson
                  Board Regular
                  Last edited by CHK DeWilson; September 7, 2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

It’s an interesting interpretation. I do think Will was drawn to Paul because he didn’t have the emotional expectations that Sonny and his family had. Sonny didn’t let amnesiac Will breathe, and a part of that is because Sonny believe he lost so much time with Will before his death.

However, Will w/o his memory still believed Sonny to be a great person. They were still building a relationship of understanding, friendship, and love w/o memories. But, a blank Will is not Will Horton. Will said he wanted his memory back because he wanted to know how it felt to fall in love and that was with Sonny. The first time Will and Paul said I love you to each other both flashed back to Will and Sonny. All of this stems from the fact that Will promised that him remembering wouldn’t change anything, and it did. I mean, there have been anvils dropped everywhere, why would Will care so much about Leo and Sonny if he was in a relationship and in love with Paul and had no connection with Sonny. Sonny is a fully adult man and can handle himself. It’s been pretty clear, that at that point they had a genuine connection but because of his loyalty to Paul and the promise, he didn’t want break his heart.

I remember the first time Will talked to Susan and didn’t he say “he seems so sincere”. That’s after talking to Sami, Sonny, and everyone. He didn’t particularly like Sami, but the first thing about Sonny that stuck out was his sincerity. It’s interesting looking back and seeing how the writers chose to write certain things.
                    FSXP
                    Lurking in the Shadows
                    Last edited by FSXP; September 7, 2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by icyblue2034 View Post
                      Our life experiences, good and bad, make us who we are. They influence us in ways both infinite and complex. Will had all of that taken from him and, aside from a lie Will either hasn't realized or has chosen to ignore, Paul was the only one not pushing Will's past. Of course it's because he didn't want Will to remember, first because he wanted him away from Sonny and second because he knew remembering Sonny would be the end of what Paul and Will had. That's the thing: When Will has his entire life and identity, full possession of all facts, he wants Sonny. He only wanted Paul when he had nothing else. That is to say, the 20 something year old man we've watched grow up on screen and go through a groundbreaking story wants Sonny. Can you really judge a person by what they want when the only thing they remember about themselves is their own name?
                      I think what I'm saying is that it was an interesting window on what Will would choose if completely freed from his ideas about who he "should" love. Take this person who literally doesn't recognize either Sonny or Paul and ask him who he's most drawn to and attracted to: He's drawn to Paul.

Now, I agree that love stories are made of much more than attraction. That's why we remember supercouples like Steve and Kayla -- not just because of their chemistry, but the powerful story that drew them slowly together over time. Will and Sonny had a pretty great story at their origins -- although it was later tarnished by cheating and mistrust -- and I'm sure he's overwhelmed by the sudden memory of that. But does it really make sense that those memories and experiences, as strong as they were, would immediately overcome the sense of stability and identity Will had found for half a year in his relationship with this hot guy that he was incredibly attracted to and in love with? For me it doesn't. The Will Horton that's been in Salem since last November is still Will Horton. His experiences aren't instantly canceled out.

Anyway, thanks for discussing the idea I brought up and not dismissing it out of hand. Amnesia storylines, for me, prompt fascinating thoughts about what it is that makes us "us," and what we might want and not want about our former lives if we ever went through Will's experience.

Originally posted by MrsDashDunning View Post
                      I feel amnesiac Will wasn't Will at all. He was an entirely different person.
                      In a lot of ways I agree -- and like TLynnMartin, I like amnesiac Will better.

And also, although I'm a Horita fan, I don't feel any of this is "unfair" to Paul. It sucks that he's getting hurt, but he knew what he was getting into. If he acts in character, he'll step away like he said he would do if Will ever wanted to go back to Sonny.

Comment

• CHK DeWilson
                        CHK DeWilson
                        Board Regular
                        CHK DeWilson commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can understanding liking the version of amnesia Will. He wants Paul.
                        I think if Paul was ever to come back and end up with Will as he now fully is then you will like him because it'll be because he wants Paul above Sonny and that seems is the crucial point for you.

• cali815
                        cali815
                        Board Regular
                        cali815 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Actually CHK, it seems like it is the point that you are stuck on.

• CHK DeWilson
                        CHK DeWilson
                        Board Regular
                        CHK DeWilson commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can't actually be 'stuck on' it as it's the first time I made 'the point'?!
                        Still at least I'll make sure to say that if I was to repeat my comment again!!

LOL. Simmer down y'all.

Still piping hot over here. LOL!

Everyone in town should get collective amnesia to be their purest selves. That should be the next storyline. Maybe we'll get John and Jennifer. Ben and Abby can go for Round 2.

In a lot of ways I agree -- and like TLynnMartin, I like amnesiac Will better.
                      They should bring on a character void of memories straight from a coma just for Paul. He can name him Will if that helps. A hole is a hole in the dark.
                      looktothestars
                      Board Regular
                      Last edited by looktothestars; September 7, 2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X