Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Psycho

Ok, more Ciara and Ben theories because they are all I think about right now. Lol!

A few weeks back Tripp made a reference to American Psycho with Ben. At the end of that movie the audience is left wondering whether the lead character was actually a serial killer or just imagined everything that happened. It was likely just a throw away reference/joke made by the writers, but let's say there is an off chance it means something. I know some have theorized (or hoped) Ben isn't actually a serial killer and what happened may be unwritten. Personally, I'm good with him being an ex-serial killer. It keeps the story interesting. However, I would not be shocked if they unwrote what happened. It could actually be a great potential storyline for Ciara and Ben; looking into what really happened with the Necktie Killer murders.

Ben's redemption is an intriguing part of his character. Some characters and fans like to just erase the wrong doing of characters they like. I've said it before if Marlena can be possessed by the devil, Jack can die a 100000 times, Will can be strangled before our eyes then come back and if Abby can murder Andre then haunt the town with her bad impression of the Wicked Witch of the East. I can come to grips with Ben's soap like murderous past when he was mentally ill.

I only began to like him/found his character interesting when he returned this time.

If they erased it...I mean...I hope they would find a way to still make it interesting. I'm fine with it as it is. Hasn't stopped the popularity of Cin.

Comment

I think they have a lot more future drama with Ben having actually been a killer. Because he's just one missed pill away from being a psycho, there will always be darkness lurking in the shadows.

Comment

I only watched Ben in the past in the necktie s/l. Changing that now, I still wouldn't like the
        character.
        ​​​​​
        ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by dee2 View Post
          I only watched Ben in the past in the necktie s/l. Changing that now, I still wouldn't like the
          character.
          ​​​​​
          ​​​​
          I completely respect your right to your opinion, but I’ll be honest and say I don’t get how anyone could not like him. He’s such a good, compelling, charismatic actor. The character of Ben has so many layers. For me, he (and Victoria) are the driving forces of the show right now.

Comment

• LizWebberFan
            LizWebberFan
            Executive Poster
            LizWebberFan commented
            Editing a comment
            dee2
            I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
            dee2

I honestly like Hope a lot too. I kinda have mixed feelings on the writing because on one hand I understand her position but on the other I think she is being too stubborn. Believe it or not, I actually would really like to see Hope warm up to Ben. I think he’s gonna continue to be good to her daughter and eventually she’ll see he’s being real and it’s not some act. I truthfully like the idea of Ben, Ciara and Hope being a little family.

• CincyLady
            CincyLady
            Aspiring soap scribe
            CincyLady commented
            Editing a comment
            I couldn't have said it better!

• dee2
            dee2
            dee2 commented
            Editing a comment
            LizWebberFan

The thought of them all being a happy family turns my stomach, tbh, but to each his own. To me, Hope
            would never just go off the rails in trying to convict anyone. But, like I said, the character has had lousy
            writing for a long time, imo.

Originally posted by KatLovesSoaps View Post
          Ben's redemption is an intriguing part of his character. Some characters and fans like to just erase the wrong doing of characters they like. I've said it before if Marlena can be possessed by the devil, Jack can die a 100000 times, Will can be strangled before our eyes then come back and if Abby can murder Andre then haunt the town with her bad impression of the Wicked Witch of the East. I can come to grips with Ben's soap like murderous past when he was mentally ill.

I only began to like him/found his character interesting when he returned this time.

If they erased it...I mean...I hope they would find a way to still make it interesting. I'm fine with it as it is. Hasn't stopped the popularity of Cin.
          At the end of the day, I say don’t erase his past. Just build on it. Honestly, him being an ex-serial killer makes things way more interesting. However, I know some have suggested they retcon his past, so I just wanted to play with that idea for a moment.

Comment

• KatLovesSoaps
            KatLovesSoaps
            Board Regular
            KatLovesSoaps commented
            Editing a comment
            I get it, I've also wondered if they went down that route what it would look like for argument's sake. I thought they could blame it on Clyde. I wasn't watching during that time. So I have no idea what Clyde was doing lol.

• Elle23276
            Elle23276
            Board Regular
            Elle23276 commented
            Editing a comment
            No, but Liz, don't you want him to have a decent life? Where he can be liked, even admired by other Salemites? I feel he will always live in the shadows if they don't redeem him. A pariah like Andre. I don't want that for him and Ciara. They deserve better.

• soapjunkie1987
            soapjunkie1987
            Recurring Poster
            soapjunkie1987 commented
            Editing a comment
            Elle23276
            Board Regular
            Elle23276 Who's to say he won't be redeemed in the eyes of Salemites anyway, in spite of his past? Sure they will still remember what he did, but that doesn't mean they won't eventually accept him for who he is now.

Originally posted by dee2 View Post
          character.
          ​​​
          ​​​​
          This is why I'm like why bother? Without it being changed the fanbase is already there, the popularity that sparked the moment the picture surfaced with him carrying an injured Ciara. The whole serial killer munching on cereal moment. Then on the flip side, those who don't like him, won't change their mind. Everyone's happy as is.

Comment

• soapjunkie1987
            soapjunkie1987
            Recurring Poster
            soapjunkie1987 commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. Changing his past won't change anything else. Folks who like him will still like him, and folks that don't will keep hating him. So what would be the point?

I've been on the fence in the past with the idea of retconning his past or making Clyde the killer (though I still won't completely object to it), but now I'm firmly in the leave-it-alone camp. It gives him layers and makes his redemption that much more interesting. I'm one of the few that actually liked Ben before they made him a killer, but I wasn't head over heels in love with him like I am now, and that's because he has so much more depth as a character this time with this redemption story than he did even when he was cray-cray.

Comment

Originally posted by soapjunkie1987 View Post
            I've been on the fence in the past with the idea of retconning his past or making Clyde the killer (though I still won't completely object to it), but now I'm firmly in the leave-it-alone camp. It gives him layers and makes his redemption that much more interesting. I'm one of the few that actually liked Ben before they made him a killer, but I wasn't head over heels in love with him like I am now, and that's because he has so much more depth as a character this time with this redemption story than he did even when he was cray-cray.
            That's pretty much how I feel. I know some are like "Oh, I can't get past him being a serial killer". But if I'm being honest that is what drew me to this story in the first place. A serial killer falling in love with a "good" young woman completely changing his outlook on the world. It already had the makings of a fantastic story. Now throw on top of it the amazing actors they chose for these roles and their chemistry. They really have something amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by LizWebberFan View Post

A serial killer falling in love with a "good" young woman completely changing his outlook on the world. It already had the makings of a fantastic story. Now throw on top of it the amazing actors they chose for these roles and their chemistry. They really have something amazing.
              This sums it up perfectly, IMO. This is what some great love stories are made of. A perfect recipe.

Comment

• dee2
                dee2
                dee2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Serial killer, a world of difference.

• Elle23276
                Elle23276
                Board Regular
                Elle23276 commented
                Editing a comment
                "Serial killer, a world of difference."

Some may say oh well, he's doing well, let him be. The serial killer label is a mark of distinction no-one
                requires.

• dee2
                dee2
                dee2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Some may say that; I don't. It's what he is.

Keep his past and let Ciara love him anyway. Ben needs that past. It is what made him who he is. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by LizWebberFan View Post
                Ok, more Ciara and Ben theories because they are all I think about right now. Lol!

A few weeks back Tripp made a reference to American Psycho with Ben. At the end of that movie the audience is left wondering whether the lead character was actually a serial killer or just imagined everything that happened. It was likely just a throw away reference/joke made by the writers, but let's say there is an off chance it means something. I know some have theorized (or hoped) Ben isn't actually a serial killer and what happened may be unwritten. Personally, I'm good with him being an ex-serial killer. It keeps the story interesting. However, I would not be shocked if they unwrote what happened. It could actually be a great potential storyline for Ciara and Ben; looking into what really happened with the Necktie Killer murders.
                I remember that now I did not pick up on it right away bc it was so long ago I saw the movie. It was all dream scenerio has been done going back to original Dallas. I think it is much better than rehabiltailing a serial killer. Now what has happened to the other victims would they turn up some where like Will.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                Working...
                X