Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Characters mocking Susan's mental health

I was really offended today by everyone except Marlena using derogatory words against Susan. I admit I forget all of what she did before she reprogrammed Will to think he was EJ, but apparently the psychiatrists have deemed her fine now and released her from the mental hospital. So what gives everyone the right to mock her, if, like precious Abigail, she is recovered. I was disgusted by Steve calling her "wacked", when would he ever call Abigail "wacked"? What is really the difference guys: Abigail had DID and tried to kill three women in the Dimera basement? If everyone believes that dear Abigail is reformed, why cannot anyone besides Marlena believe that Susan or Ben is reformed too?

Very simple. Abigail Johanna Deveraux has class while Susan is plain trashy.

Comment

• Terileeh
      Terileeh
      Board Regular
      Terileeh commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what they are talking about. Susan is not trash. She is a product of her upbringing and her mental health issues.

I found it odd that when in a gathering, no one seemed concerned about their younger family members living with a serial killer, but they were
    up in arms about Susan. More ridiculous writing. I hope Shawn has more to say than he did today, but that's probably about it.

Comment

Marlena's a psychiatrist, so it makes sense she would understand and be more respectful. If Kristen didn't target her so much, I think Marlena would be open to forgive and treat her similarly to Susan.

Comment

She was invented to be a clown. Thus those teeth, and all the exaggerated goofiness.
        I never even liked Calliope, never mind Susan. But this is the ancient custom of comic relief, mixed in with a little mischief.
        It's a soap, not a public service message.

Comment

Susan's behavior has always been over-the-top outrageous. I've always regarded her as existing only for comic relief and to move over-the-top plots. To me it would be unrealistic if the other characters acted like Susan's behavior was anything close to normal.
        mahdi
        Moderator: DAYS Forum, soapcentral.com

Questions? Comments? Please email me.

Comment

Susan's mental health isn't the same as Susan's personality and character, which is what was being mocked. They might use terms that some equate to mental health, but these are your average every day people not analyzing themselves to make sure they don't offend the sensibilities of the perpetually offended.

Comment

• mahdi
            mahdi
            Aspiring soap scribe
            mahdi commented
            Editing a comment
            "Perpetually offended" is a good way of describing all the people who suffer from butthurtitis, which has sadly reached epidemic proportions.

• CherryPoppins
            CherryPoppins
            Under-Five
            CherryPoppins commented
            Editing a comment
            No joke! 24/7 outrage over nothing.

Simple explanation, really- Susan is not mentally ill, she's just weird! A person can be weird and not be mentally ill. True, Susan had a breakdown, due to the stress of losing EJ, but apparently the break was temporary. The way Susan is acting now is the same way she acted before she was hospitalized. So really, the characters aren't making fun of Susan for having a mental illness, they're making fun of her outrageous statements and behavior.

Comment

• mahdi
            mahdi
            Aspiring soap scribe
            mahdi commented
            Editing a comment
            Well stated, knotsfan!

• gymguy68
            gymguy68
            Senior Board Member
            gymguy68 commented
            Editing a comment
            I completely agree. Susan is a little "off" but not really mental at this point. She's definitely giving DAYS some much needed excitement. Compared to her. almost all of the other characters are a snore fest (Hope, Rafe, Lani, Eli, Jennifer, Eric, Lucas and Stefan are dead weight).

I was thinking the same way Hour Escape. And the answer is simple: unless you're a Horton or a Brady people will call you names. Only the privileged families are given compassion

Comment

I'd agree that Susan is unique but I also think she's much smarter than she lets on.

Comment

Susan is a campy character designed to be the butt of jokes. I've never cared for this character, but it's hardly something to be offened by.

Comment

Characters mock Abigail as well. Vivian, Gabi, Kate, and Victor come to mind. They all got digs in at Abigail’s expense. Susan is no better than Abigail to be mocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby_fan View Post
                Characters mock Abigail as well. Vivian, Gabi, Kate, and Victor come to mind. They all got digs in at Abigail’s expense. Susan is no better than Abigail to be mocked.
                And plenty of people are having a go at Ben too.

Comment

• KatLovesSoaps
                  KatLovesSoaps
                  Board Regular
                  KatLovesSoaps commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Abby completely overreacted to Andre and murdered Andre. Who chooses to pick up an object and hit someone over the head with it?

• Abby_fan
                  Abby_fan
                  I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
                  Abby_fan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So you get my point after all. They are all being mocked for having mental illlness. None are excluded, not even Abigail. I am not saying they are right or wrong. I am not disagreeing with you Jj1701.

• Jj1701
                  Jj1701
                  Jj1701 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @Abby_fan
                  But somehow Ben deserves the ridicule when the others don't. We agree that people are having a go at them. We disagree about some deserving it and others not deserving it.

And they got soundly bashed for it, not defended. Excuses were not made for them as they are for those mocking Susan.

Comment

• Abby_fan
                  Abby_fan
                  Abby_fan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am confused. I was thinking we were talking about the characters. Who bashed Vivian, Victor, Kate and Gabi for mocking Abigail? Am I misunderstanding the thread? If so, I will delete my comments.

Yes. But it's a little hypocritical that people from Abby's family are mocking someone else with a mental illness when someone from their own family is mentally ill too.

Comment

• Abby_fan
                  Abby_fan
                  Abby_fan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So who should mock her? Is Abigail mocking her? What is the proper etiquette for mocking someone with a mental illness?

• KatLovesSoaps
                  KatLovesSoaps
                  Board Regular
                  KatLovesSoaps commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The point being made is. They shouldn't mock anyone. That would be the proper etiquette.

• Abby_fan
                  Abby_fan
                  Abby_fan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, that is my point. Lol, why does no one get it. Oh welllllllll...

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X