Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do u root for characters like Abby, Belle and Carrie or do u prefer the villain?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do u root for characters like Abby, Belle and Carrie or do u prefer the villain?

i was watching a clip of Belle/ Mimi’s feud recently and I couldn’t help but think it was similar to Abby/ Gabi. Mimi was angry and hateful towards Belle because Belle would not let go of the fact that Mimi had an abortion which led to Rex overhearing and then breaking up with Mimi. Mimi was upset and said that nothing is ever Belles fault and that she is sick of perfect Goody two shoes Belle. She ended up getting revenge on her but not to the full lengths that Gabi has gone. Sami, Mimi and Gabi’s jealousy of their perfect friends or sister took them to the dark side.

Abby is a villian..........................

Comment

I like Carrie and Belle, but Abby I can't ever like again until she goes to prison.

Comment

I root for characters like Abby, Belle, and Carrie I never root for the villian and that is what Gabi is a villian I will always root for those types of characters the Villian is horrible and they do horrible things like Gabi, Sami and Mimi have done they do horrible things. Gabi will always be a villian and she will pay for what she has done and more than likey go to jail for the crime she committed.

Comment

I like 3 dimensional characters and on this show, that seems to be reserved largely for the villains. I don't like everyone who's ever played a villain but all of my favourite characters have never been lily white pure, only one was a straight up villain (Nicole, Jack, Nick, Gabi, Ben, Philip, Lawrence, Billie). I used to like Sami, Brady, Kristen, EJ when he was with Nicole.

Comment

Abby should not be in the same category as Belle or Carrie. They have never murdered anyone or framed anyone for murder. Abby is a wolf in sheeps clothing and I consider her a villain.

Comment

Always root for heroines, over villains. When did this trend of rooting for villains come about?? It's sad to me.

Comment

• Keelee
            Keelee
            Lurking in the Shadows
            Keelee commented
            Editing a comment
            Villains can become heroines though. However, the exultation of the quasi-angel-heroine Abby has always confused me. Nothing is ever her fault. She's as slippery as an eel.

• Beca Drags
            Beca Drags
            Aspiring soap scribe
            Beca Drags commented
            Editing a comment
            I disagree! So tired of seeing it said, "Nothing is every Abby's fault." She owns ALL of her mistakes. Not sure why people have come up with that misconception? She owns them so much, to the point on taking on blame, that's not even really hers to begin with.

• Irishdaisy
            Irishdaisy
            Newcomer
            Irishdaisy commented
            Editing a comment
            Saying Abby has own ALL her mistakes is making that absolute—which isn’t possible. She hasn’t done that. I like Abby but I still see her having shades of gray, not perfect which is far more interesting. It’s ok if she doesn’t own every mistake she’s made, it’s human.

But there are some characters (who much like real life) seem to get a pass more than others. It’s sad but true and Abby is one of those because of who she is. I think Abby herself knows this but doesn’t take advantage of it so I still root for her.

When the heroines became hypocrites and turned into villains themselves.

Comment

I like grey characters. They forge their own path. Greys self actualize according to their own criteria, not that of the reigning social group (a group they usually have no admittance to anyway). Good qualities such as integrity, honesty, kindness, and empathy usually don't appeal to them. Pessimism, arrogance, self-absorption, and above all, the adoption of a cynical attitude are immutable and their standard gear. As well, because of their inaccessibility to social participation, they tend to become autonomous.

That does not mean greys cannot build genuine relationships or fall in love. It just means that their criteria is unconventional, and not perhaps, the norm.
          ​​​​​
          Keelee
          Lurking in the Shadows
          Last edited by Keelee; August 14, 2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• CallAboutTheCat
            CallAboutTheCat
            Soap Addict
            CallAboutTheCat commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with this. My favorite character of all time was Jack, and he was definitely what I would call a gray character for a couple of years. He started as an arrogant rich boy, became a deceived, cuckolded husband, moved into villain territory for awhile, and then through the miracle of great soap writing slowly transformed into one of the good guys. But he was always an "anti-hero." You weren't necessarily supposed to root for him. But that made me root for him even more -- he so clearly wanted to do the right thing but wasn't even sure he was capable of it at times.

• catshadowsi8
            catshadowsi8
            Scriptwriter
            catshadowsi8 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree. None of the characters listed above are true 'villians' imo though Sami comes pretty close. For me they are grey characters and I prefer them to heroines/heroes. They can be unpredictable and, when pushed too far, make poor decisions but they are not real villians like Stephano or Victor.

Originally posted by lagirl View Post
          When the heroines became hypocrites and turned into villains themselves.
          That's all opinions, nothing more. It's clear to me who the writers intend to present as heroines and heroes, and who are the villains. I base my opinion on things that villains intentionally do, to persecute the heroines and heroes. Villains take pleasure in perpetuating their dastardly acts, heroines and heroes don't. That's the difference.

Comment

• Keelee
            Keelee
            Lurking in the Shadows
            Keelee commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh. I respect your opinion. How would you categorize Hope at the moment? She seems to be deriving a lot of pleasure from her actions lately? I think most characters go back and forth quite liberally, and in the absence of those crossovers, the narrative would become basically, unpalatable.

I root for the good characters for the most part. Abby is not one of them, she is despicable. She gets a free pass for everything and her family (and fans) defend her every action.

I dont remember Carrie or Belle lying about sleeping with married men or constantly stringing guys on or murdering their BFF.

Comment

• rpmaluki
            rpmaluki
            Contract Poster
            rpmaluki commented
            Editing a comment
            I keep thinking Abby could have called the police and explain what happened if she was as innocent as many would like to imagine, instead of hiding behind a disassociated persona that strikingly resembles the friend/woman with whom her husband fell in love and setting in motion events that landed that same woman in jail because of her cowardice actions. She should have taken responsibility for what she did to Andre and kept Gabi (and her underlying resentment for her) out of drama.

Originally posted by Beca Drags View Post

That's all opinions, nothing more. It's clear to me who the writers intend to present as heroines and heroes, and who are the villains. I base my opinion on things that villains intentionally do, to persecute the heroines and heroes. Villains take pleasure in perpetuating their dastardly acts, heroines and heroes don't. That's the difference.
          The writers intentions sometimes don't pan out. It doesn't matter what they think. It only matters how it is perceived by viewers. We decide who the characters are really. And that's all a matter of opinion. The writers thought Dannifer was a good idea. But a huge majority of fans didn't agree. The writers thought they could turn Andre into a good guy. But most fans still saw him as a villain. Is Hope a villain? She shot Stefano. Brady blackmailed Nicole into leaving town. Is he a villain? It's all in our perceptions as viewers, and some of us see things differently.

Comment

It all depends.

I have never liked Abby.

I liked Carrie and Belle.

I like Ben but hated EJ.

I love Kayla but not Jen.

I like Gabi and I liked Nick.

I like Kate.

Loved Bo. Loved Steve. Jack was a no.

Kristen and Stefano were hit or miss.

Victor is fun usually but I don't enjoy John.

It's all about the writing and the actor for me. Sometimes I root for the bad guy because I can see the heavy handed writing and sometimes I root for the good guy because I just can't help it. Sometimes I enjoy the bad guy because they're just too fun. Sometimes I think the actor make the character compelling.

So really it's just a whole mixed bag for me and it truly depends.

Comment

I like compelling characters. Sometimes the ones that are mostly "good" are more interesting than the "bad" characters. It really depends on the interaction.

Comment

Definitely Abby, Belle, and Carrie! In fact, Carrie used to be my favorite!! Cannot think of any reason why I would root for the villain!

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                Working...
                X