Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What were the worst stories at the end of ATWT?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WorldTurns2002
    Under-Five
    • Aug 2023

What were the worst stories at the end of ATWT?

Hey guys, first time posting. I just discovered these boards!

I've been thinking a lot about the post Hogan iteration of World Turns and what worked/didn't work. I think my vote for the best story from that period was early Luke/Noah. And worst was Cowboy Jack (maybe the worst story in ATWT history?). But am I forgetting things? What were the other tough-to-stomach stories and why didn't they work?
  • GuidingLite
    Aspiring soap scribe
    • Sep 2004

I have a few....

Evan Walsh IV....a completely ridiculous story - the already grown (in 2009) adult son of a character last seen (with no children) in 1995 was just lame....

Mick Dante.....claiming he was brainwashed by James Stenbeck to do his bidding, lol....they should have just let James die when the actor died, and not done a final disservice to the character like that...

Juicy Janet and her daughter Liberty.......

Gwen's half-brother Cole.....one of the worst characters ever introduced
    Last edited by GuidingLite; August 2, 2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• GuidingLite
      GuidingLite commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Hunter McDermott.....as bad a 'long-lost' as Cole Norbeck and Evan Walsh IV.....

Craig had a long-lost show up, Gabriel, but that wasn't as bad as many others....

• JaySherman
      JaySherman commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a benefit to Ryan Serhant. He got some exposure then left acting to get into real estate where he's doing very well.

• GuidingLite
      GuidingLite commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great for him - I begrudge no one any success they had from being on the show, but some of the characters were just DOGS.....

One of my least favorite characters overall in the entire 30 years I watched the show was Bianca Walsh...and thankfully she was never brought back once she left....I loved both Lily and Ciara as Lucinda's daughters....HATED the utterly stupid story of Lucinda and James Stenbeck having had a son together, but Bianca was a character I just never, ever warmed up to....
  • WorldTurns2002
    Under-Five
    • Aug 2023

Oh God, somehow I'd blocked out Janet/Liberty

Comment

• GuidingLite
      GuidingLite commented
      Editing a comment
      She ranks up there (to me) with Gwen's mother Iris Dombrowski, lol......some of the absolute worst characters ever created (in my opinion) were Janet, Liberty, Cole Norbeck, Hunter McDermott, Evan Walsh IV, and Celia and Rafi Ortega....with an honorable mention to Bianca Walsh.....it often seemed like the writers were REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with extended family and members of the 'teen set'.

• WalnutGirl
      WalnutGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Liberty was too fickle for me. Did Carly have issues with her dating and marrying her son?
  • kamden
    Newcomer
    • Oct 2005

Adam Riley ranks up there

Comment

• shandy0630
      Recurring Poster
      • Jan 2020

I would have to say when they brought Adam back after Hal died and how they had written him trying to attack Gwen and Maddie was pretty bad. Then the whole thing with Riley, that was just disgusting.

There are a whole list of characters/SL's toward the end that I think the show really could have done without...Janet, Liberty, Noah (I couldn't stand the way both he and Luke basically whined all the time), Iris, Cole, Mick Dante, etc. Those were characters who ended up getting a lot of screen time when other, long stay characters were basically ignored and when they did have something, the writing was crap.
      Last edited by shandy0630; August 5, 2023, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• HotStuff
        Day Player
        • Aug 2022

Never understood the Janet bashing. She was a great character and Julie Pinson is a terrific actress. Now that saying, I loved Janet with Jack and hated the fact that she wound up with boring Dusty. Jack also deserved better than Carly after everything she did to him.

Comment

• CaraCare
          CaraCare commented
          Editing a comment
          Janet was annoying, but then again so was Carly. And I always liked Julie Pinson. She's hilarious in real life. I also felt like she was the one woman that Jack had chemistry with, besides Carly. He didn't have much chemistry with Julia1, Julia2, or Katie.

I'm glad Jack and Carly were together in the end, but yes Janet deserved better. I never liked Dusty.

• GuidingLite
          GuidingLite commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I disliked Janet from the first moment someone referred to her as Juicy Janet....I mean really....was that at all necessary? They didn't have 'Creamy Carly' and 'Moist Molly'.....the Juicy thing just made me dislike the character immediately....

• GuidingLite
          GuidingLite commented
          Editing a comment
          Dusty was a really GOOD character when first introduced....when he returned, though, and was colluding with Barbara against her own son/his supposed 'best friend' (Dusty was never Paul's best friend....Andy Dixon was when they were teens....) the recast just never hit with me like Brian Bloom did.....
      • HotStuff
        Day Player
        • Aug 2022

Making Meg insane so Emily the prostitute (who was ruined in the 1990's) could win.
        But then, I didn't like Roger Howarth's version of Paul anyway

Comment

• WalnutGirl
          WalnutGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          I wanted Meg with Damian. Lily hurt him too many times.

• CincyLady
          CincyLady commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't like Roger Howarth's version either. I really like Scott Holroyd as Paul.
      • JSF777
        Lurking in the Shadows
        • Mar 2020

Originally posted by WorldTurns2002 View Post

I've been thinking a lot about the post Hogan iteration of World Turns and what worked/didn't work. I think my vote for the best story from that period was early Luke/Noah. And worst was Cowboy Jack (maybe the worst story in ATWT history?). But am I forgetting things? What were the other tough-to-stomach stories and why didn't they work?
        I also loved early Luke and Noah, I honestly thought they were gonna be treated like any str8 couple when Noah flashed Luke in Branson, or when they had a shirtless scene after swimming in the pond, and the tension between them behind Maddie's back, and their well done two initial kisses, but then... censorship lol

I truly disliked Casey and Emily, way too inappropriate, the age gap and the fact that his father also had something with her. Nope
        For the same reasons, I also disliked Luke/Brian and Luke/Reid. Give the kid someone his own age for the love of God.

I never liked Barbara/Henry (sorry guys), and I hated Damian/late Lily and Damian/Meg.

Dusty/Alison was unneccessary. Adam's resurrection was non-believable.

Comment

• JSF777
          Lurking in the Shadows
          • Mar 2020

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
          Never understood the Janet bashing. She was a great character and Julie Pinson is a terrific actress. Now that saying, I loved Janet with Jack and hated the fact that she wound up with boring Dusty. Jack also deserved better than Carly after everything she did to him.
          I also liked Janet/Jack they were hilarious together, I wasn't particularly fond of CarJack, but I understand they had history and I respect that. The show gave them a happy ending and that was good for the fans of the couple.

Comment

• CaraCare
            CaraCare commented
            Editing a comment
            I liked Jack/Carly, but he also had his moments with Julia1, Julia2, and Janet. Katie was much better with Mike (till she killed his cousin and cheated on him right after), Simon, and Brad, but anyway I digress. I'm glad Jack and Carly got their happy ending because there were many passionate Jack and Carly fans. I'm glad Janet got a happy ending as well. I feel like it was a nice compromise.
        • JSF777
          Lurking in the Shadows
          • Mar 2020

Making Meg insane so Emily the prostitute (who was ruined in the 1990's) could win.
          Didn't Meg go crazy after Damian? or was she crazy before that?

Comment

• WalnutGirl
            WalnutGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            That was what I thought. I did not like Meg hooking up with Rod. To be fair, I think he had changed from the slimeball, disturbed teen who attacked his step cousin Iva decades before, but who gets involved with a guy who hurt their sibling like that? They should
            have had them get involved with other people, but stay friends.

Personally, maybe Meg never recovered from the emotional pain Tonio caused. I really wanted her to get involved with Damian.

• CincyLady
            CincyLady commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought Damien was not a good character as I recall. Of course, that was years ago and I may be misremembering.
        • CaraCare
          Newcomer
          • Sep 2023

Cowboy Jack was the worst. I still can't believe Carly took in those criminals. Granted, she's always been her own worst enemy, but she was usually a better judge of character.

I hated Cole Norbeck. Gwen didn't need a brother, or half-brother.

I hated Casey and Emily.

It made for good drama, but I hated Carly and Holden. They had no chemistry and Carly betrayed her one friend, Lily, in Oakdale.

Comment

• CincyLady
            Aspiring soap scribe
            • Sep 2005

I didn't like RH as Paul either. I really liked the other actor - Scott Holroyd.

Comment

• parker joe
              I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
              • Feb 2005

Sigh--lots of weird stories

The Z twins, some Grimaldi relation (I think) that kidnapped Luke, and were going to force him to impregnate the girl to bear the next Grimaldi heir
              The Keys to the Kingdom, which included a yuckky scene of Em and Chris tied up in a mattress store dry humping each other trying to get free, which caused the Chris/Ali nuptials to implode
              Dusty's return from the dead
              Em kidnapping Dusty and chaining him up like a dog
              Craig/Dani's affair because Craig wanted to set up Brad for murder
              That Gwen lookalike

Comment

• CouchCruisin'
                Executive Poster
                • May 2014

Originally posted by WorldTurns2002 View Post

Welcome to the world of posting WorldTurns2000

One of the absolute worsts for me was ANYTHING featuring Juicy Janet.
                OMGoodness, that character annoyed the hell out of me.
                I gave Liberty a slight pass because she couldn't help who her mother was.
                If I could erase her/them from my memories, that would be great!

I could hardly stand Emily and I really hated that Meg was reduced to mentally deficient and Emily was raising her daughter.

I hated, hated, hated Katie.
                I am one of a few who didn't care at all for Lily and Holden.
                I didn't like any of the Julia's either.

LOVED Jack and Carly!
                Henry and Vienna were so fun.

Comment

• Rosie21
                  Rosie21 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hated, hated, hated Katie as well. I'm probably the only one that liked Lily and Simon together.

• CouchCruisin'
                  CouchCruisin' commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn't mind Lily and Simon.
                  They were definitely better together than Lily and Holden.
                  I even liked Lily and Damien for a while.

• WalnutGirl
                  WalnutGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I liked Lily and Damian, when Lily did actually fall in love with her husband , after giving birth to Luke. But later the writers killed Damian in a plane crash.
              • CaraCare
                Newcomer
                • Sep 2023

Originally posted by CouchCruisin' View Post

Welcome to the world of posting WorldTurns2000

One of the absolute worsts for me was ANYTHING featuring Juicy Janet.
                OMGoodness, that character annoyed the hell out of me.
                I gave Liberty a slight pass because she couldn't help who her mother was.
                If I could erase her/them from my memories, that would be great!

I could hardly stand Emily and I really hated that Meg was reduced to mentally deficient and Emily was raising her daughter.

I hated, hated, hated Katie.
                I am one of a few who didn't care at all for Lily and Holden.
                I didn't like any of the Julia's either.

LOVED Jack and Carly!
                Henry and Vienna were so fun.
                Right there with you on Jack and Carly, as well as Henry and Vienna. I wish Vienna married Henry in the end.

Emily was overrated. Hal deserved better than her. I LOVED Barbara's disdain for her.

I like Julie Pinson as a person, but not Janet. She wasn't Jack's worst woman, in theory, but she was the most annoying.

I always either loved or hated Katie. I hated her throughout her whole relationship with Jack. She and Jack were SO wrong for each other.

I loved to hate Julia 1. She may have been Jack's worst woman, but I loved her rivalry with Carly. I also loved how crazy she made Jack, lol. I didn't like Julia 2, but I did love how crazy she made Carly and Lily.
                Last edited by CaraCare; January 8, 2024, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• CouchCruisin'
                  CouchCruisin' commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Julia 1 did bring the drama. LOL
                  She was certifiable.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X