Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What personality transformations do you remember due to writing changes?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSF777
    Lurking in the Shadows
    • Mar 2020

What personality transformations do you remember due to writing changes?

I hate when the personality of a character changes entirely thanks to the power of writing. Sometimes an ugly character becomes a saint because the writers decided to do that and suddenly everybody is on board with this, especially the viewers 😒 How many times we had nasty characters disappear one season and come back with a new personality? sometimes with a new actor too, but most of the time is just the way it was written what changed. For a better or for a worse personality, but you can tell that this is not the way this character used to be; and I hate that actors, producers and writers during interview say their characters evolved 🙄. I understand it is fun for an actor to play a new aspect of a character, I even understand that for a writer it's refreshing to write something from a new perspective, but sometimes I was just like Hell no!!!!! this is not something this character would have done or said.

So, my question is, what personality transformations do you remember? What was the storyline you hated the most because of a personality shift? What new personality you thought it was the best for that character?
  • ericw808
    Senior Board Member
    • Dec 2011

This transformation made sense to me - Barbara's switch to "evil" after she was burnt at the cabin. She had been a doormat for too long. Her anger at the world and her desire to "protect" her family seemed like a natural evolution to me.

Comment

• GuidingLite
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Sep 2004

My first thought was also Barbara - she went from victim to aggressor.....

I have to add Paul to the list as well - in his teens he of course did anything he could to get together with Lien Hughes, but then when Roger Howarth took over the role Paul was even more manipulative and almost to the point of vengeful against his mother.

Meg Snyder was another - she was a 'schemer' when first introduced, but when Marie Wilson brought the character back to Oakdale, she earned the nickname 'NutMeg' for a reason.....

Sabrina Hughes was pretty 'innocent' when we met her, but with the reintroduction of the character in the form of Claire Beckham, Sabrina was a different woman....she let Seth Snyder think she was Frannie more than once to seduce him, she got involved with and engaged to Tonio Reyes.....and sweet, kind Sabrina was no more....

Comment

• WalnutGirl
        WalnutGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Meg was a poor farm girl tired of being poor and wanted a rich guy. She really loved Tonio, but that was a bad choice, and he broke her heart. I wanted her with Damian, but selfish Lily messed that up. Who else did she get involved with? How did Emily get a chance to raise her kid? Who was the dad? Colleen did a great job with Barbara going from nice lady to hell on wheels at times!

• WalnutGirl
        WalnutGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        That was a hot mess with Seth, but I think she really fell for him. I think she kinda won Tonio's heart as well, but he was just too evil to the core, after all he did shoot Bob. I forgot the reason for the shooting. I don't recall Sabrina being cruel or evil, but when Colin hurt her, she did become cynical and hard.

• CouchCruisin'
        CouchCruisin' commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't see this until now.
        Paul was the baby girl's father.
        I don't recall if he took her baby before or after, but
        Meg ended up in the looney bin and Emily and Paul were together.
        I believe he took her baby before and that may have helped drive her around the bin.
    • kamden
      Newcomer
      • Oct 2005

My first thought was margo she became hypocrite, and controlling with Casey

Comment

• WalnutGirl
        WalnutGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Considering he was involved with Emily and Allison, can you blame Margo? He needed to make better choices when it came to women.
    • parker joe
      I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
      • Feb 2005

Rosanna. Originally, she was earnest to a fault, very Lily-ish in wanting to reject wealth and embracing the "simple" way of life. When Cady McClain took over the role, she was a corporate shark, manipulative, cold and controlling.

Roger Howarth as Paul
      Hunt Block as Craig.
      Molly shifted personality multiple times.
      Luke. Young Luke was a mini version of a mature Holden. Jake Weary was angry Luke. Van Hansis was very, very earnest and naive, kind of like Lily was as a teen.

Comment

• WalnutGirl
        WalnutGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not know Rosanna changed that much.

• CouchCruisin'
        CouchCruisin' commented
        Editing a comment
        Hunt Block's iteration of Craig was so shifty! LOL
        He made the best faces when he was doing something wrong, which was most of the time.
    • TeamLuRe
      Soap Addict
      • Jul 2010

Brad was originally Jack's OLDER brother and had bad boy vibes...very sexy and smoldering. When he came back, he was Jack's YOUNGER brother, a high school football star and looked and acted like a goofball.

Comment

• parker joe
        parker joe commented
        Editing a comment
        How could I have forgotten that one? It ticked me off so much! To be fair, Brad's personality changed with every recast. Brad #1 was laid back, #2 was interested in Molly and a buttinsky, #3 (John Loprieno) was obsessed with getting Carly and mean, and #4 was younger and completely irresponsible.

• WalnutGirl
        WalnutGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Brad liked Vienna as well. She fell in love with Henry.

• CouchCruisin'
        CouchCruisin' commented
        Editing a comment
        I loved Vienna and Henry! 💖
        ... ... ...
    • Bronson
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Mar 2004

1. Hannah Lafferty. I hated how they transformed her from Linc's mom who raised him by herself after her husband deserted her and ran off with a woman who was supposely her friend and turned her into judmental, gossipy shrew to excuse her husband's desertion of her.

2. Orlena Grimaldi. I loved her character especially when she chewed Lily out for being a horrible wife to Damian. I hated when they recast her and came up with that stupid storyline of her not being his real mother.

3. Damien Grimaldi. It was bad enough that Lily was an awful wife to him and he was a saint for putting up with her but what I hated was him being turned into a love sick idiot chasing after Lily. I would have preferred him with Meg Snyder.

I did not care for Rosanna Cabot myself. That whole "poor little rich girl" stuff always bugs me. The one time I rooted for Rosanna was when she chewed out Julie when Julie revealed her secret to Mike Kasnoff.
      Last edited by Bronson; July 30, 2023, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• WalnutGirl
        WalnutGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I hated how rude Hannah was to Connor. Orlena was a hot mess, but she did sincerely love Damian. Was she really to trying poison Lily via her lemon drop candies?

• CouchCruisin'
        CouchCruisin' commented
        Editing a comment
        Holden was Aaron's father.
        I don't remember Damien going off on Lily, but if he didn't, he should have.

• WalnutGirl
        WalnutGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I recall when she was pregnant, he kind of read her the riot act. I recall her telling Holden after she had Luke, that
        she wanted to make her marriage to Damian work and her regrets over being a crappy wife. They were happy before he was presumed killed in that plane crash.
    • Bronson
      Aspiring soap scribe
      • Mar 2004

WalnutGirl...Julie told Mike that Rosanna was from a wealthy family the Cabots. Alex Cabot leaving his fortune to Rosanna who did nothing but be disrespectful to him was dumb in my viewpoint.
      Last edited by Bronson; July 31, 2023, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• WalnutGirl
        WalnutGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Look I think Rosanna was nicer to her dad once she found out the truth about her mom, then she realized her dad was not the only one with flaws.
    • kamden
      Newcomer
      • Oct 2005

When they brought Adam back after Hal death wrote him trying to attack Maddie and gwen

Comment

• GuidingLite
        GuidingLite commented
        Editing a comment
        Not only that, but he looked quite a bit older than early to mid-20s when he was on the show

The actor went on to star on the show Glee - super talented guy....loved him on Glee, but he was MUCH more believable as a teacher to high school students than as a mid-20s Adam Munson.
    • shandy0630
      Recurring Poster
      • Jan 2020

Adam--when the role was recasted with Matthew Cavenaugh (after Matthew Morrison left after being initially cast in the role after Hal had died) and the twist with him after. It made no sense doing that.
      Luke--he was a tolerable character until he was paired with Noah. Then he became very needy and whiny. That was enough for me.
      Paul--when Roger Howarth was casted as Paul. Paul became VERY unlikeable to me, especially when he was paired with Meg.
      Casey--when he became involved with Emily, that was disgusting--considering his dad had a one-night stand with her (which resulted in Daniel).

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
      Working...
      X