• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WalnutGirl
    Senior Board Member
    • Jul 2019

Carly's abandonment issues regarding her mom

When she first came to town, she really resented Rosanna since their mom abandoned her fami!y to marry Mr. Cabot. I can understand Carly's hurt, it does seem her mom wrote her off once she married into wealth. The least she could have done was visit Carly or let Car!y visit them.. Did Carly ever seek counseling for her abandonment issues.

​​​​​
  • shandy0630
    Recurring Poster
    • Jan 2020

No, she didn't. However, she didn't have a problem with taking off on her own kids. She took off on Parker on several occasions and she took off on Parker, Sage, and JJ at least once when she ran off with Simon when they were wanted in connection to the theft of a very expensive necklace not long after Hal died in 2006.
    Last edited by shandy0630; June 24, 2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• WalnutGirl
      WalnutGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess apple and tree there.
  • KristaZ
    Senior Board Member
    • Feb 2007

Carly did not run off on her kids and certainly not on several occasions.. it was twice… there were reasons for her being absent.. it wasn’t anything like what her mother did to her.

Carly left Oakdale in 1996 after her miscarriage to work on a clothing label Lisa invested in. When Carly returned in fall 1997 she was totally focused on getting pregnant and having her 50 million dollar baby. FF a couple years and Carly has that baby (Parker) and is engaged and on the eve of marrying Jack Snyder. Because Maura was pregnant and needing an excuse to have her absent from the show for her maternity leave, they wrote a secret husband, Winston Lowe in Hong Kong. Carly was on the run from him and in hiding when she returned to Oakdale in fall 1997.

He was very well connected in Hong Kong and Involved in a crime syndicate. He made her a prisoner after she married him and abused her but she was able to escape and come back to the US.
    On the eve of her wedding to Jack one of Lowes men came for her and threatened to kill Parker and Jack unless she went back to Hong Kong with him. She was basically kidnapped. We find our later that it was Julia Lindsay who met Winston in NY and told him where to find Carly.

Carly left again in January 2007 (another maternity leave) when she and Simon were going to be extradited to another country after it was discovered they stole the Crown Jewels from a Prince visiting Oakdale. There was a back story to why they stole the jewels… it wasn’t because they were greedy or anything, in nutshell Carly was coerced and manipulated into it by Simon. Carly either was going to be taken to a foreign country to do face a lengthy prison sentence or when Simon came to bust her out she could take off with him.. which she chose to do. It wasn’t like she had the choice to stay in Oakdale with her kids… either way she was going to be away from her children.

edit.. I actually forgot there was a 3rd time Carly was gone from Oakdale and Parker but again it was not her choice. Another maternity leave required an exit story line to explain a few month absence.. that was the storyline where James kidnapped Carly, Rose and Emily and sent them to the spa. What a nutty storyline but entertaining for sure. Again not her fault and not abandonment if she had no choice in the matter.
    Last edited by KristaZ; October 25, 2022, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• shandy0630
      shandy0630 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know Carly's leaving town was due to Maura West's maternity leaves. A friend of mine was working for Proctor and Gamble Productions until ATWT went off the air in 2010.

When Carly left Parker to go to Hong Kong, she COULD have said something to Jack and Hal--considering they were on the Oakdale PD. She chose not to and left. Because of Hal being Parker's father and Carly not saying anything about the threats to Parker and Jack, Hal believed Carly took off and basically abandoned Parker. I believe that was 1999-2000 when Maura was pregnant with her son Joe.

In 2002, it was obvious Carly was kidnapped.

Regarding the whole jewel thing with Simon, once again, Carly COULD have said something. She didn't and she chose to take off on her kids. I don't even believe she even said goodbye to them. I remember when she returned, Parker was quite angry with Carly for choosing to take off with a guy over her kids. He had EVERY right to be mad at Carly and I believe that was not long after Hal was killed, so he still really needed Carly to be around.

The thing with Carly is that (with the exception of the kidnapping and the spa thing with Rose and Emily) Carly could have said something about the situation and she chose NOT to. She made her choices and she chose to leave.

I can relate being abandoned by a parent and what that feels like, including the anger that Parker had when Carly came back. There's no excusing a parent abandoning kids like that and basically, that is what Carly did no matter how it's spinned to make her look like some kind of victim...

• KristaZ
      KristaZ commented
      Editing a comment
      It was common knowledge every time Maura left for a maternity leave... anyone who read a soap mag or was online at the time was well aware of it. It wasn't like you had to know someone BTS to have that information.
  • parker joe
    I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
    • Feb 2005

I think Carly was told Sheila never wanted her and was eager to leave everything Musselshell behind. No, Carly never got therapy, but on some level, I'm glad because soap therapy is so lackadaisical and unrealistic anyway.

Carly left with Winston's goon because he was threatening Jack and Parker. The breaking point was something about Jack finding a bomb the night before their wedding, I think. So Carly didn't make the "best" decision---I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you.

Comment

• Amazee_Dayzee
      Executive Poster
      • Aug 2008

Sheila Washburne possibly was the worst mother ever to Carly and it is no wonder why she had so many issues that she did. It was true that Sheila didn't want Carly and wanted out of her small town but like Carly she made decisions that were completely immoral. As much as I was able to find out, THIS is how Carly's life before she came to Oakdale shaped out and a brief history of her family.

* Sheila and Lee were sisters and Lee was dating Ray Tenney but their relationship wasn't a particularly stable one and the often broke up and got back together again in a cycle as it was never a real healthy relationship.

* During one fight and breakup with Lee, Sheila who was jealous of her sister and most likely was the black sheep seduced a drunken Ray

* Before Lee and Ray could get back together, Sheila learned she was pregnant with Carly and quickly named Ray as the father and exposed their one-night-stand

* Because this was in a very small town out in the Midwest where I'm sure there were a lot of conservative types at the time, I'm pretty sure Sheila who did not really love Ray was forced to marry him and give birth to Carly

* Sheila wasn't much of a mother to Carly and fobbed her off on Lee and Ray wasn't much better as a father because he was stuck in a loveless marriage and it was his own fault

* Sheila met Alexander Cabot at some point who was married with 2 kids of his own and began an affair with him

* Sheila and Alexander abandoned their families and ran off and got married eventually having Rosanna

* Since the Cabots were really wealthy and Sheila was SUCH a wonderful mother (and all around person) I would imagine nannies brought up Rosanna

* Lee took responsibility for Carly full time and after Ray divorced Sheila the two of them got married but their marriage was just as bad as their relationships were

* Lee was emotionally abusive to Carly and treated her like a piece of gum on her shoe because Carly was a reminder that Lee's sister and her boyfriend conceived a child

* Carly grew up believing that Lee was her mother and that Rosanna was her cousin and didn't learn the truth until after Sheila died and Rosanna was in Oakdale

* Lee and Ray divorced when Carly was older and Carly stayed with Ray and didn't have any contact with Lee

* Ray got involved with Iris Norbeck who already had a son and Carly who was a daddy's girl for some reason (despite the fact that Ray, Sheila AND Lee were abysmal parents) was jealous

* Iris had Gwen and Carly who didn't want a sister or her father's attention taken away from her got violent

* Iris realizing this faked Gwen's death and made Carly think she was responsible for the death of her BROTHER and a young Carly blocked it out

* Iris left with Gwen and Cole (her son from a previous relationship) and Ray ended up sinking into a depression

* Ray ultimately drank himself to death once Carly was an adult but I can't imagine Ray would have been in any shape to be a father

* Carly learned the truth years later after Craig switched Jennifer Munson's baby with Gwen's baby fathered by Casey

Taking ALL of this information in consideration can you honestly say you are SHOCKED at how much of a train wreck Carly was or some of her issues? I'm surprised that she wasn't WORSE off. It wasn't just Sheila abandoning her that caused issues. It was her loser of a father and the woman who she THOUGHT was her mother (actually her aunt) being emotionally abusive to her that caused her to act out. Though I think it was easier to target her sister because Rosanna grew up in the lap of luxury (but neither Sheila or Alexander Cabot probably paid much attention to her either).

Out of Carly and her 2 sisters, Rosanna was the only one that had a happy childhood but because of the nannies that Alexander probably paid for. Iris was SUCH an atrocious mother than Cole got legally emancipated from her and abandoned Gwen leaving her to deal with a neglectful mother.

Musselshell is NOT really looking too good. Ray Tenney, the Washburne sisters and Iris all were pieces of work. It makes me wonder about Molly's childhood since her mother was Ray's sister and Carly and Molly were thick as thieves.
      Last edited by Amazee_Dayzee; November 7, 2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• WalnutGirl
        Senior Board Member
        • Jul 2019

Wow thanks. A lot of the story I never knew. I knew about her aunt mistreating her, but did not know about Ray dying. Rosanna was very close to her mom,and father as well. Although she and her dad butt heads at times.

Never knew Mr. Cabot and Sheila had a fling, nor that Rosanna's elder siblings were half siblings. I thought Peter and Lauren were Sheila's kids. I believe Montana is more Northeast then MidWest. If Mo!ly was from Montana, how did she meet Holden? Did the fami!y move when she was a teen? I stopped watching pretty much when Gwen came to town, but didn't Will get her pregnant,not Casey?

I recall it deeply hurt Rosanna to learn the truth about her beloved mom.
        Last edited by WalnutGirl; November 9, 2022, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• Amazee_Dayzee
          Executive Poster
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by WalnutGirl View Post
          Wow thanks. A lot of the story I never knew. I knew about her aunt mistreating her, but did not know about Ray dying. Rosanna was very close to her mom,and father as well. Although she and her dad butt heads at times.

Never knew Mr. Cabot and Sheila had a fling, nor that Rosanna's elder siblings were half siblings. I thought Peter and Lauren were Sheila's kids. I believe Montana is more Northeast then MidWest. If Mo!ly was from Montana, how did she meet Holden? Did the fami!y move when she was a teen? I stopped watching pretty much when Gwen came to town, but didn't Will get her pregnant,not Casey?

I recall it deeply hurt Rosanna to learn the truth about her beloved mom.
          Rosanna was close to her mother because Sheila didn't have to do all of the heavy lifting and was in a better mood since she had finally gotten out of Musselshell and was now in the lap of luxury with a man that she actually loved but didn't really raise Rosanna. Sheila was there for the fun stuff that a parent often did with a child but didn't discipline or care for her when she was sick. She left that to the nannies Alexander hired to care for her. If there were no nannies and it was just Sheila who had to raise Rosanna she probably would have completely neglected her she might have had the same childhood as Carly.

Alexander and Sheila were 100% an affair that the two of them had while they were married to their previous spouses. I'm not sure what happened to Alexander's first wife but Peter and Lauren were her children and not Sheila. They managed to cover the affair up for a while and while I'm sure Sheila did love him, Alexander who was a very wealthy automobile manufacture was her ticket out of Musselshell. She just had to get him to commit to her. I wouldn't be surprised if she got pregnant with Rosanna on purpose. But eventually the two of them left both of their spouses and got married and had Rosanna. The only difference is that Alexander was still involved in Peter and Lauren's lives. Sheila completely abandoned Carly and then told Alexander she was her niece (her sister Lee's daughter). That is why Carly and Rosanna grew up believing they were cousins. An emotionally abusive Lee told Carly in a moment of anger and Rosanna found the truth out on Sheila's deathbed.

I'm not sure where Montana is but I am pretty sure that it was very CONSERVATIVE as well as strict and tradition and Sheila probably chafed under that. It was said that Sheila was a wild child and in many ways when Carly came to Oakdale she was exactly like Sheila. Hell, both of them seduced their sister's boyfriend and got pregnant. Only difference is that Sheila was FORCED to marry Ray afterwards. If she had her way, I'm pretty sure she would have got rid of Carly and ran a mile from Ray. Her affair with Alexander was her way to deal with life and eventually she realized that she could use him to get out of the town and got him to marry her. Either through getting pregnant or some other way.

Molly was born and at least partly raised in Musselshell but then her parents moved when she was a teenager and they ended up living near the Snyder farm. I know she had to spend some time in Musselshell as a child because she and Carly were friends in childhood as she was the closest thing Carly had to a sister growing up. When Molly became a teenager after living in Musselshell her parents probably moved and she ended up meeting Holden then when they lived around the Snyder farm. Holden and Molly dated for a few years and Molly got pregnant with Abigail before her family moved and she was forced to give her up for adoption since they couldn't raise her. So Molly's family moved twice. Once from Musselshell to Oakdale and again from Oakdale to another place.

The story with Gwen was that she showed up pregnant and set up on a date with Will but neither were interested in each other at that point but Gwen wanted to talk to Casey and tell him she was pregnant. The reason why Casey didn't want Gwen around was because they had a one-night-stand. Gwen was pregnant as the result of it and planned to give the baby up for adoption and not name the father (Will said he was the father but Barbara got a paternity test done that proved he wasn't). She was gonna give the baby to Rosanna and Craig but the lack of care caused her to give birth prematurely at the same time Jennifer did. Gwen had to name Casey as the father but he denied it and a paternity test said he wasn't. This was because Craig who wanted to raise his own biological child (he was the father of Jennifer's baby through a one-night-stand) switched the babies around and Rosanna who found out wanted to tell the truth but Craig ran her off the road which lead to her falling into her first coma. Baby Johnny was given back to Jennifer (who thought her baby died) and Gwen and Casey's baby Billy was the one that died. Gwen and Will tried to have a biological child of their own but Gwen miscarried and couldn't have anymore and then Allison let them use her egg but Gwen miscarried again. Their daughter Hallie is Gwen's niece by her maternal half-brother Cole (no relation to Carly) who they adopted after Cole murdered her biological mother and ex-girlfriend Sofie.

As for Rosanna's devastation, she had a little bit of time to come to terms with it and she must have at some point because when Carly came to Oakdale Rosanna confessed that she knew the truth.

Comment

• parker joe
            I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
            • Feb 2005

I'm not sure I agree with all of Amazee Dazee's analysis---for instance, Ray and Lee were still together when Rosanna sought them out in Montana (which was like 93-94) They may have been in the worst marriage in history, but they were married. Ray's death was first mentioned when Carly showed up in '97. I'm not sure Lee's whereabouts were ever brought up. And I seem to recall at some point, hearing that Ray wasn't going to allow Sheila to take Carly with her when they divorced.

Some of the facts were tweaked by different writing regimes. I'm pretty sure Rosanna originally described Lauren and Peter as her full siblings. It was only sometime after her father Alexander's death that they became older half-siblings. Rosanna described Sheila in glowing terms, and as I recall, it was a small inheritance from Sheila that would've allowed Rosanna to go to art school. I think Rosanna sensed a regret in Sheila during her battle with cancer, which allowed Rosanna to accept her mother's past. I'm not sure Carly ever got the opportunity to hear Rosanna's view of their mother, as they were at odds for most of that first year Carly was in town, and when Cady McClain took over the role, Ro and Carly quickly put the past behind them.

Montana is in the western United States. Canada borders it to the north. The Rocky Mountains dominate the western part of the state.

And I'm not sure I ever heard that Molly was born in Montana. I don't recall her ever claiming to be "from Montana". Although the show never clarified how Carly and Molly were related, since we knew Molly's maiden name was Peterson, her mother must have been Ray's sister. All we really heard was that (somehow) Carly and Molly managed to bond as cousins. ori

And originally, Carly didn't know Mike was Rosanna's on/off boyfriend the first time they slept together. Carly hadn't met Mike. I believe they were estranged because Rosanna had briefly believed Mike had provoked her father's heart attack. Carly went out alone to celebrate her birthday, they ended up flirting, and they ended up sleeping together.
            Last edited by parker joe; December 20, 2022, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• WalnutGirl
              WalnutGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              She knew Mike was her sister's beau because she saw Rosanna confront the other rich girl Mike dated that set him up to be arrested before he came to town. I think her name was Misty, she was kinda trampy. I did not know Sheila died from cancer.

• parker joe
              parker joe commented
              Editing a comment
              WalnutGirl I don't think Carly ever met Missy. Ro and Mike were in Florida when Mike saw Ro laughing with Missy and thought they were laughing about him. Alexander Cabot had paid Missy to break Mike and Ro up. Mike confronted Alex over it and he had a heart attack and died. Carly introduced herself to Rosanna upon hearing of Alexander's death in Grosse Pointe, Michigan.

Carly certainly manipulated situations, and I believe later claimed in a fight with Ro that she had known who Mike was all along. But I'm certain that was not how it played on screen.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X