• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catharbin89
    Under-Five
    • May 2022

Who was ATWTs best headwriter?

There have been many head writers that came through ATWT in it's 54 year history...Irna Phillips (April 1956-1965), Irna Phillips and Bill Bell (1965-66), Katherine Babecki (1966-1970), Joe Kane & Ralph Ellis (Feb-? 1970), Winifred Wolfe (1970), Katherine L. Phillips (1970), Winifred Wolfe and Warren Swanson (Jan-? 1971), Warren Swanson, Elizabeth Tillman, and John Buroff (? 1971-Jan 1972), David Lesan and Irna Phillips (Jan 1972-Jul 1973), Edith Sommer and Robert Sodeberg (Jul 1973-December 1978), Ralph Ellis and Eugenie Hunt (Dec 1978- Nov 1979), Douglas Marland (Nov 1979-Jan 1980; Nov 1985-April 1993), Bridget and Jerome Dobson (Jan 1980-Apr 1981; Jan 1982-May 1983), Paul Roberts (Apr-Aug 1983), Tom King and K.C. Collier (Aug 1981-Jan 1982), Caroline Franz and John Saffron (May-Dec 1983), John Saffron (Dec 1983-Apr 1984), Tom King and Milliee Taggert (Apr-Nov 1984), Cynthia Benjamin and Susan Horgan (Nov 1984-Apr 1985), Susan Horgan (Apr-Nov 1985), Juliet Law Packer and Richard Backus (Apr 1993-Jan 1995), Juliet Law Packer, Garin Wolfe, and Richard Culliton (Jan 1995), Richard Culliton (Jan 1995-Jan 1996), Stephen Black and Henry Stern (Feb-Dec 1996), Stephen Demorest, Mel Brez, and Addie Walsh (Dec 1996-May 1997; Sep-Dec 1997), Jessica Kline (May-Sept 1997), Addie Walsh (Dec 1997-Feb 1998), Lorraine Broderick, Addie Walsh, and Hal Corley (Feb 1998-Jun 1999), Leah Laiman and Carolyn Culliton (Jun 1999-Jun 2000), Hogan Shaffer, Stephen Demorest, Hal Corley, and Carolyn Culliton (Jun 2000-Jul 2001), Hogan Shaffer, Jean Passanatte, and Carolyn Culliton (Jul 2001-Sept 2002), Hogan Shaffer and Jean Passanatte (Sept 2002-May 2005), Jean Passanatte, Leah Laiman, and Christopher Whitesell (May 2005-Oct 2007), Jean Passanatte and Leah Laiman (Oct 2007- Jan 2008; Apr 2008-Oct 2009), Chris Goutman (Jan-Apr 2008), Jean Passanatte and David Kreizman (Oct 2009-Jun 2010), and Jean Passanatte and Lloyd Gold (Jun-Sept 2010). Who's your favorite and why?
  • lcrtorch
    Day Player
    • Jul 2011

I started watching around 82 so for me it's Doug Marland and Hogan Sheffer. RIP to both
    Last edited by lcrtorch; May 14, 2022, 05:37 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling

Comment

• Catharbin89
      Under-Five
      • May 2022

I think each headwriter bought something refreshing to the table but Marland, The Dobsons, Juliet Law Packer/Richard Backus, and Hogan Shaffer were my favorites

Comment

• GuidingLite
        Aspiring soap scribe
        • Sep 2004

Douglas Marland, hands down.....when soaps went from shows about families to business and intrigue....he preserved the idea of family in Oakdale beautifully....he transitioned from the Lowells and Stewarts to the Snyders and Walsh family....but didn't lose sight of the Hughes family....he grew them...veterans were kept vital (Kim's stalker, the discovery of Sabrina's existence, Lisa's many marriages and business ventures, John and Lucinda's love story, Nancy's remarriage to Dan McClosky and losing him)...and he kept Nancy Hughes vital to the show without wrecking her character as so many writers have done to their 'matriarch' and 'patriarch' characters. He developed couples that were in it for the long haul (Lily and Holden, Margo and Tom) who still loved each other, despite their challenges, in 2010 when the show ended. He tackled social issues like teen pregnancy (Iva), gay people (Hank Elliott), he used the show's history to great effect, and gave some exciting 'action' tales, but never over-sensationalized the show.

I loved his work, and don't think any HW after him touched him for quality.

Comment

• TommyP
          Board Regular
          • Feb 2007

Edith Sommer and Robert Soderberg.
          Doug Marland

Comment

• Brighton
            Recurring Poster
            • Nov 2008

I have to go with Douglas Marland. There were years when he was writing the show, that I couldn't fast forward through any of it. I found every storyline interesting.

Comment

• TonksIsHere
              Day Player
              • Apr 2022

Probably my favorite HWs for ATWT were Doug Marland & Bridget & Jerome Dobson. In general HWs I am fond of include: Pete Lemay, Agnes Nixon, Irna Phillips, Bill Bell Sr., Samuel D. Ratcliffe, Millee Taggart, Nancy Curlee Demorest, Stephen Demorest, Jill Lorie Hurst, Donna Swajeski, Pat Falken Smith, Patrick Mulcahey, etc.

Comment

• msan1025
                Board Regular
                • Sep 2013

I think it was Hogan Shaffer who "revived" the show at the end of the 90's. For me he was the better head writer, but I was in school during the 90's and I only ever watched during the summer and then in high school I'd catch the last 15-20 minutes after school.

Comment

• parker joe
                  I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
                  • Feb 2005

I would say Doug Marland. The depth and complexity of his stories was unmatched. But props must also be given to Irna Phillips, who created and kept it at number one for years.

Comment

• Evianfan
                    Executive Poster
                    • Oct 2004

Douglas Marland. That's the only answer That man was gifted. I grieved when he died.

Comment

• supersage
                      Contract Poster
                      • Oct 2007

Doug Marland, hands down, was the best!!! Hogan Sheffer did a great job, but Marland KNEW soaps and how to write them.

Comment

• jpa777
                        Soap Addict
                        • Feb 2013

Whoever was writing in the early to mid-80’s had me pretty hooked. Steve and Betsey and the start of the Snyder family. After that I sort of lost interest but would tune in now and then.

Comment

• gudabear
                          Board Regular
                          • Jul 2013

Doug Marland predates me watching, but I really enjoyed most of Hogan Sheffer. After him, it was all downhill from there.

Comment

• Oakie
                            Recurring Poster
                            • Aug 2007

Douglas Marland was the tops.

ATWT was at its peak 1990-1992.

After his death it was all downhill for the show's quality.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X