• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OKSoapFan
    Under-Five
    • Jun 2019

I Miss ATWT

I sure miss ATWT. I know some of the actors have passed away and that many of the others are too old to come back to work, but I sure wish we could pick up with Tom and Margo, Jack and Carly, Barbara and Henry, Dr. John, and see what has become of Casey, Andy, and some of the others.
  • sap36
    Day Player
    • Apr 2017

I do, too. That would be cool. Maybe it could be on a streaming service or YouTube TV?

Comment

• CouchCruisin'
      Executive Poster
      • May 2014

Originally posted by OKSoapFan View Post
      I sure miss ATWT. I know some of the actors have passed away and that many of the others are too old to come back to work, but I sure wish we could pick up with Tom and Margo, Jack and Carly, Barbara and Henry, Dr. John, and see what has become of Casey, Andy, and some of the others.
      How old is too old?
      As long as they are still acting, I want to see them!
      I absolutely ? Jack/Carly, and John/Lucinda.
      Didn't Casey die?

Comment

• GuidingLite
        GuidingLite commented
        Editing a comment
        I assume the OP means Casey Hughes - Tom and Margo's son - who left Oakdale with Alison Stewart when the show ended. Not Casey Peretti, who did die...and was Casey Hughes's namesake...

Soap Operas are difficult to think about 'rebooting'.....the casts are very large, triple that of a primetime show, so salaries are a huge expense...and you'd have to focus on only a segment of the cast these days to be able to afford it.....

That said....I'd love to see an occasional 'special' produced to carry on the stories.....we've lost Kim Hughes and Lucinda Walsh, but the death of either of those characters could be the focus of a special....the Hughes Family and how they cope with the loss of Kim.....

• CouchCruisin'
        CouchCruisin' commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your idea about occasional specials.
        I am sure that I meant to post a 💖 heart where that question mark is above. LOL
    • Generosa1985
      Day Player
      • Apr 2022

Maybe. Some of the old-timers may want a reboot, even a couple epie's a week, then let the younger under 30s, take over, main storyline's and Middle age adult couples.

But, I am in awe of how much time we see happy healthy seniors still in soaps, of the past remain on a very long time, that's amazing!

i.e., as Jennifer Aniston her talented father, he still over there Days, John Aniston, late eighties. He doesn't I am assuming want to retire, not yet.

It is so amazing to see him still on ( even if we see him sit more)while he act out the scenes as Victor Kiriakis.

I know his daughter Jen was worried she said a few years ago as he was "getting up in age" late 80s she said, but he is still on so God bless him,

Some might be willing to come back.

I do miss Jack and Carly my all time Faves on CBS so perfectly fit, even if she was the bad wild type girl at first lol
      He was handsome, now middle age, so "not old as of right now."He can return to soaps. I hope with Holden too, and few others.
      I would love to see a Re-boot with the Middle age couples, bring Lily/Holden definitely back. They were my fave too, along with Jack and Carly, few others.
      Last edited by Generosa1985; May 7, 2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• creation
        Board Regular
        • Sep 2018

I miss ATWT too, plus AMC and GL, two other soaps that I used to watch, but are no longer around either. However, I'd rather remember them how they were when I watched them, with the actors I knew and loved. I have no interest in a newer version, reboot type, with younger or different actors in the roles. Some of the actors I knew and loved have aged, some retired, some no longer here, and some still around, but I only see occasionally. I'll just live with the fond memories that I still have in my mind, of the soaps and characters that I once knew and loved.

Comment

• prpnc
          Scriptwriter
          • Jul 2006

Oh, I miss ATWT so very much!! I feel like no other soap can compare to it. I would take any version of it I could get at this point.

Comment

• veryoldatwtfan
            Senior Board Member
            • May 2010

I miss ATWT and GL. I think GL would have enough cast members who are still acting to make it work.

Comment

• shandy0630
              Recurring Poster
              • Jan 2020

Originally posted by CouchCruisin' View Post

How old is too old?
              As long as they are still acting, I want to see them!
              I absolutely ? Jack/Carly, and John/Lucinda.
              Didn't Casey die?
              There were two Caseys on As the World Turns--Casey Peretti and Casey Hughes. Casey Hughes is named after Casey Peretti, who died back in 1990. There was a storyline involving Casey Peretti having Guillain-Barré syndrome and ended up contracting Encephalitis. While Casey P was in the hospital, he knew his condition was getting worse and he made it clear to Margo that he didn't want to be kept alive on life support. He did have a living will, but it wasn't filed in time. He gave Margo instructions on how to disconnect the life support system he knew he was going to be hooked up to. While he was telling Margo this, it was being recorded on a tape recorder Casey had in the room to make tapes for Katie (she was a toddler when her dad died). Margo disconnected the life support and she ended up facing a grand jury over Casey's death. While Casey's parents and Duke were going through Casey's things, they found the tape recorder with the tape that Casey's plea to Margo. After Margo testified, Lyla (Margo and Katie's mother) came to court and told Tom and Margo about the tape. As a result, the grand jury didn't return with an indictment for murder.

Right after Casey P's death, Margo found out she was pregnant. During an ultrasound, Tom and Margo found out they were expecting a baby boy and announced that the baby was going to be named after Casey P.

As far as who's still acting these days, not a whole lot of the cast that were on when the show ended are acting. There are some that still are acting that are in other roles on other shows. Kathryn Hays (ex-Kim) just passed away. Some actors are not even living in New York any more.

Comment

• shandy0630
                Recurring Poster
                • Jan 2020

I don't really think an ATWT reboot would be a good idea. Toward the end, I would basically fast foward episodes I had recorded because there were characters (such as Luke, Noah, Reid, Carly, Paul (RoHo's Paul) and Janet) that I really had no absolute interest in. The ones I had interest in (Tom, Margo, Bob, Kim, John, Lucinda) were barely shown.

I think a reboot would focus on those who I have/had absolutely no interest in and the ones I have/had an interest in wouldn't even be casted.

Comment

• bookwoman
                  Board Regular
                  • Mar 2004

I miss ATWT too but I am thankful I can watch reruns on DVD and YT. I would rather see something like the Salem streaming show than a direct reboot.

Comment

• Forresterfan
                    Day Player
                    • Apr 2022

I miss it too. I always fantasize about what would be going on today. It’s sad that the soaps have almost all been decimated. If they hadnt Been so mismanaged and poorly written…idk maybe it’s wishful thinking. I’d absolutely watch if it came back

Comment

• CincyLady
                      Aspiring soap scribe
                      • Sep 2005

I miss it, too - especially when I compare it to the soaps on the air today. Not even!

Comment

• creation
                        creation commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So true....there is no comparison to what was then, and what is now. Soaps and their storylines, characters, sets, etc, were far more classier, more well written, and more interesting than what's left of today's soaps.
                    • CincyLady
                      Aspiring soap scribe
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by shandy0630 View Post
                      I don't really think an ATWT reboot would be a good idea. Toward the end, I would basically fast foward episodes I had recorded because there were characters (such as Luke, Noah, Reid, Carly, Paul (RoHo's Paul) and Janet) that I really had no absolute interest in. The ones I had interest in (Tom, Margo, Bob, Kim, John, Lucinda) were barely shown.

I think a reboot would focus on those who I have/had absolutely no interest in and the ones I have/had an interest in wouldn't even be casted.
                      I agree with you on this. I don't think we want our characters to grow old either meaning less interesting sls.

Comment

• TonksIsHere
                        Day Player
                        • Apr 2022

Heck, I still miss AW. But the time has passed when there might have been some possibility of one of our classic soaps being re-formed for the web.

What ideally should be happening now is that streaming services should be getting set up with classic soaps to be re-broadcast from tape. If I recall correctly, the shows that have all (or most) of their episodes are RH know that one for sure, OLTL, DOOL. Then most soaps will pick up at about 1979 & run through their ends. But, 5 soaps, AW, ATWT, GL, SFT & EON have years of tapes sitting in vaults, just sitting there. And, they are the property of P&G and 5 different streaming services have tried to make deals with P&G to re-broadcast their inventory of tapes & P&G has said to each of them: "No, we are no longer in the soap business." Back in 1997-1999 P&G met with different companies who wanted to buy a show or buy into a partnership with P&G on a show, etc. & P&G never made a deal with any of them!

Comment

• jpa777
                          jpa777 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          P&G must really stand for Pigheads and Grouches. Sell those soaps …stop being so selfish! WTH is their problem?!

• shandy0630
                          shandy0630 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          jpa777 P&G doesn't have to do anything. They are not going to sell those shows to make people like you happy, In addition, there is a VERY LARGE cost into getting those episodes they have transitioned from analog (tape) to digital for streaming AND there are some legal/additional financial issues regarding streaming revenue/profits and how all of that is going to affect everyone who was involved in producing those shows--actors, directors, etc.--and how they are going to be paid. Besides, there are rumors that a lot of those tapes were destroyed in a large warehouse fire--so, who knows if they actually still do exist.

• jpa777
                          jpa777 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow….just wow. Well at least I know WTH the problem is/was. shandy0630
                      • TonksIsHere
                        Day Player
                        • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Generosa1985 View Post

i.e., as Jennifer Aniston her talented father, he still over there Days, John Aniston, late eighties. He doesn't I am assuming want to retire, not yet.

It is so amazing to see him still on ( even if we see him sit more)while he act out the scenes as Victor Kiriakis.

I know his daughter Jen was worried she said a few years ago as he was "getting up in age" late 80s she said, but he is still on so God bless him,

Some might be willing to come back.
                        John Aniston is wheelchair bound. He doesn't get up. He does all his acting, each of his scenes, seated, usually in his favorite chair in the living room. When Ciara went Friday to say good-bye to him she did all the movement. I noticed that he didn't seem to even lean toward her when she hugged him & he was hugging her back. He can still act; he just can't walk or stand. And, they let him do exactly what he can do. I think it's great of them!

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X