• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KristaZ
    Senior Board Member
    • Feb 2007

The year that was 2006 in Oakdale... Nik Kasnoff

I don't know how many still read this forum but, I have been watching old clips and I am now watching the year 2006.

I feel it was one of the better ATWT years along with 2001.

I have a question ... if there is anyone out there who can comment...

Nik Kasnoff... he came riding into Oakdale on his bike, looking all sexy and rebellious as the cop who would become Jack's nemesis. He also had a thing for Carly. Anyway, he only lasted about 6 months before he was killed off. It felt like he was meant for more than that and I am curious if anyone knows if that was the intention all along.. to have him come on create some drama and then get written off as a murderer?

I have always wondered if there was some back stage stuff going on like the character didn't quite work or the actor wanted to leave the soap and the murder story line was a last minute rewrite? It seemed to come up out of nowhere and it didn't last long to wrap up as far as soap story lines usually go.
  • shandy0630
    Recurring Poster
    • Jan 2020

The only thing I remember about Nick Kasnoff is that he tried to set Mike up for a murder he committed back in 1993 and that Katie killed him in self defense.

Comment

• CaraCare
      Newcomer
      • Sep 2023

This was actually the only storyline from 2006 that I rewatched recently. What's crazy is that I didn't like the storyline the first time I watched it but I liked it a lot more after rewatching. I miss ATWT but I'm glad we have the memories online on youtube.

I think he was written out because they didn't know what else to do with him and he was really only tied to Mike.

I didn't care about Nick one way or the other, but I liked the storyline. The actor that played Nick did well in his final scenes when he was dying and apologizing to Mike.

This was also the one storyline that Katie wasn't playing games in (along with Brad's death). That alone made it worth it since her games went downhill fast.

The best part was when Mike blamed Katie for Nick's death. He couldn't forgive her (or himself deep down) and Katie kept begging him to let her in. Mark Collier did an excellent job when Mike blamed Katie for Nick's death. Terri Conn (Katie) also did great with tearfully begging Mike's forgiveness. But two weeks later, Mike and Katie talked it out and it was never mentioned again. But I think the Nick situation contributed to Mike divorcing Katie. Simon was the tip of it. Once she cheated with Simon, he left Katie for good and never looked back. At the same time, Simon's running from the law (with Carly!) Crazy huh?!

There should have been more fallout from Nick's death. Not legal consequences, but the tension between Mike and Katie was too rushed. I really think Mike blaming Katie for Nick's death was rushed to go back to the Mike/Katie/Simon triangle. Actually, a Mike/Katie/Simon/Carly quadrangle...​​
      Last edited by CaraCare; September 12, 2023, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• parker joe
        I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
        • Feb 2005

I don't think so. ATWT was doing a lot of six-month interloper arcs by that time. Julia Larrabee only lasts about six months. BJ Greene, Pilar (Mike's ex-lover), Doc Reese, etc---those types of characters didn't last long. Nick was only really connected to the Carly/Jack and Katie/Mike stories.

In contrast, Jordan Sinclair was brought, heavily featured on the canvas, got a baby, a girlfriend and got a legacy father (James), and even after the break up with Jen seemed to be heading toward Sierra. Only to unceremoniously leave town and get a two sentence send off, never to be mentioned again. Something, IMO, happened there.

Comment

• GuidingLite
          Aspiring soap scribe
          • Sep 2004

Nick was a surprise for me.....the fact that he turned out to be a 'bad guy'....in such contrast to Mark and Mike and their sister who were all relatively good people.....Nick was the family 'bad seed' I guess.

It surprises me a lot when a member of a family is 'bad' when they are typically all 'good' people, just flawed....like had they had a villain Hughes character or a villain Snyder.....Caleb was a bit shady, certainly, but not an outright villain....the closest the Hughes family had, in my recollection, was Sabrina who pretended to be her twin sister and slept with Frannie's fiance.....

Comment

• CaraCare
            Newcomer
            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by parker joe View Post
            I don't think so. ATWT was doing a lot of six-month interloper arcs by that time. Julia Larrabee only lasts about six months. BJ Greene, Pilar (Mike's ex-lover), Doc Reese, etc---those types of characters didn't last long. Nick was only really connected to the Carly/Jack and Katie/Mike stories.

In contrast, Jordan Sinclair was brought, heavily featured on the canvas, got a baby, a girlfriend and got a legacy father (James), and even after the break up with Jen seemed to be heading toward Sierra. Only to unceremoniously leave town and get a two sentence send off, never to be mentioned again. Something, IMO, happened there.
            I'm glad these characters were flashes in the pan. Pilar sucked on every level and so did the storyline. Even Terri Conn (Katie) said that the Pilar storyline was her least favorite. Thankfully, it was only about 4 months, if that. BJ was also a horrible character but it was a good storyline for Mike and Katie. I didn't hate Julia Larrabee and I liked the storyline but she was the most lightweight out of all the women to come between Jack and Carly. Besides, all these characters were so isolated. Including Nick, who had no strong ties to anyone outside of Mike.

Comment

• CaraCare
              Newcomer
              • Sep 2023

Originally posted by GuidingLite View Post
              Nick was a surprise for me.....the fact that he turned out to be a 'bad guy'....in such contrast to Mark and Mike and their sister who were all relatively good people.....Nick was the family 'bad seed' I guess.

It surprises me a lot when a member of a family is 'bad' when they are typically all 'good' people, just flawed....like had they had a villain Hughes character or a villain Snyder.....Caleb was a bit shady, certainly, but not an outright villain....the closest the Hughes family had, in my recollection, was Sabrina who pretended to be her twin sister and slept with Frannie's fiance.....
              Just when you think the Flying Skeleton of Doom storyline couldn't possibly get any worse, they have poor Nick as the culprit...even though he couldn't have been more than 15-16 yrs old at the time of the murder. I wasn't surprised though. He seemed like a short term character from day one and he was really only connected to Mike. And it was pretty obvious it wouldn't end well on his part with Jack/Carly.

When Mike blamed Katie for Nick's death, I thought Mike was going to lose it and snap. But then it was dropped two weeks later for the Mike/Katie/Simon redux. Which certainly didn't end well for anyone involved.
              Last edited by CaraCare; October 5, 2023, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X