Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did the writers give them such a horrible ending with the death of Reid?

Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the writers give them such a horrible ending with the death of Reid?

I never watched much of As the World Turns, but I stumbled upon clips of Luke and Reid and watched their entire story. They had such great chemistry and the actor who played Reid was fantastic, and I wish he had gone to another soap. Why did the writers give them such a horrible ending with the death of Reid? clean master apk
    Last edited by carlos12; July 9, 2019, 05:16 AM.

Shock and awe. They thought they had to do something tragic at the end and involve a legacy character. Plus, if you'll notice, nearly every gay character on soaps then were treated second rate.

Comment

carlos12, I love Reid and Luke as well. They were perfect for each other and I loved Reid's friendship with his roommate Katie. Chris didn't deserve to have Reid's heart just so he and Katie could get their happy ending because Chris was an idiot to ignore his own health considering he was a doctor and he was running against Reid for Chief of Staff. Reid and Luke deserved to have their happy ending!

Comment

I will always be bitter over this. Chis didn't deserve to live at Reid's expense. Killing Reid, and leaving Luke grieving while all the straight people got happy endings sent an appalling message. Only straight people get to be happy, if you're gay you're going to die young, or be alone and miserable. It was unthinkably wrong after all the groundbreaking work they'd done with their gay characters before. It's far to rare to see soap gays get a happy ending. They did this with Bianca on AMC too, the web series revival revealed that Marissa was killed by her ex husband (who didn't do a day in prison for it) and Bianca spent the next five years grieving for her.

Comment

When Reid was first brought on, he was only supposed to appear for a limited time. When they saw what the actor could do, they changed things around to involve him more with Luke, but at the time (or maybe a little before), the show was cancelled and TPTB thought it would be an epic storyline to bump him off, not realizing how many people were going to be attached to this couple (while upsetting those who were Nuke fans). The actors were gold and quickly made Luke/Reid a major couple in a matter of a few months. One of the stupidest moves ever on this show (and there were quite a few the last 5 years of it).

Comment

I too loved the Luke and Reid storyline and found what they did to them at the end gut wrenching and horribly unfair. I remember not believing all the rumors up until the very end when it really happened. It sort of made letting go of the show a little easier because I was so angry at the writers.

Comment

Luke may have been grieving at the end of the show with Reid's death, but they did have him connect with Noah briefly and leave their 'ending' open....whether or not they reunited eventually we'll never know.

Not every gay character ever to appear on a soap has a tragic ending......Hank Elliott was in a loving, stable relationship when his character was written out....Will Horton on Days has just overcome a near-fatal tumor and has reunited with the love of his life, Sonny Kiriakas....(their story is not ending, per se, but they are happy now)....and while Olivia and Natalia on Guiding Light didn't identify as lesbians, they were quite happy together in a relationship when that show ended.....

Comment

It was the reason I didn’t watch the last week or two. I no longer cared how anything else ended. Completely disgusted by that turn of events .

Comment

Luke and Reid had such chemistry and I cried over Reid's death. I didn't like that Chris Hughes kept quite about his health issues until it became obvious that he was very sick. It left me feeling cheated of a happy ending for Luke and Reid. I like that Luke and Noah may have got back together as a bit of happiness in the sadness but I would have rather had Luke and Reid be the endgame couple.

Comment

I agree that Reid and Luke were wonderful. I don’t know why everybody but them got a happy ending.

Comment

I loved Luke and Reid I hate they did not get their happy ending

Comment

I haven’t read anything about if the writers had any regrets about how they ended the show but I wonder if they any backlash about anything generally and this in particular. I’m sure there was but since it was over I thought that was one of those if you could go back and change anything scenarios .

Comment

• TeamLuRe
                          TeamLuRe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There were rumors for a few months that this was going to happen (Reid's death) and there was a huge cry from fans. The EP said in an interview that if the show had not been cancelled, they would not have killed off Reid but would've made Luke and Reid a major couple. This pissed off the Nuke fans. No one who was a fan of any of the three characters was happy with the ending.

• Emerald Greens
                          Emerald Greens commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes I can understand that from all the fanbases . All feeling short changed while others from what I read more or less got what they wanted.

• Signals3
                          Signals3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hmmm, actually, the whole thing about Luke and Reid being a major couple was not a quote from Goutman but an inference made by the interviewer. Goutman DID say that Reid tested their {Luke and Noah's} love and that their relationship would endure. THAT is the quote.
                          I thought the ending of the show was fine. Reid is dead, and Luke and Noah are working it out.

I loved them 2............I thought their love story was great........& the 2 actors "sold" it w/their chem which was off the charts.

I NEVER "bought" the love w/Noah as something always felt off /w their chem!

Luke/Reid were given the full soapy treatment as 4 as their love went........I just couldn't w/Luke/noah..........not even a lil!

And really show COULD have given the gay guy his happily ever after like MOST of the straight couples got......well except 4 MY fave Lily/Holden..........disappointed in that whole last pitiful s/l.

NEVER liked Luke's daddy even though the actor is handsome!

And I missed MB.....................................LOVED her a Lily!

Comment

• witchboy
                          witchboy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Holden and Lily were left at least where they were growing back to each other. Their last scenes definitely seemed like a reunion was inevitable. I'd have liked more there too. I've read that if Martha Byrne were playing Lily they probably would've had them have another wedding but they didn't bother without Martha. That's kind of infuriating that they didn't bother to invest their writing into the story regardless of who was playing her.

Reid's death we really really hard for me. On a personal level even. (This is a pretty anti-Noah post, so if you like him, please just don't read. I'd really like to keep from arguing over this particular post.)

I started watching ATWT when I was 15. Right around the time, Luke was having his coming out storyline I was in the process of coming out myself. I connect so much with that character, his feeling different, his loneliness. Being able to see how his character dealt with all of it was what helped me get through a really hard time. THen his character fell for Noah and I was so happy because I didn't want him to be alone anymore. I didn't want him to be the only one on the show to not have love. Because of that, I didn't really see how bad Noah really was for Luke. His holier-than-thou crap really put Luke through a lot and ate at his insecurities.

I hate that it took so long for me to realize it, but I did when Reid showed up. I remember when it happened too. I had already started liking the idea of them together because of the chemistry. It was soooo good. Then when Luke officially broke up with Noah, I was surprised by the fact that I didn't care as much as I used to when Noah would break up with him. Then Reid said something that made me realize how much I honestly didn't like Noah. He said, "It's time someone stuck up for you." Referring to Luke sticking up for Noah after he'd been treating him like crap for months (for something I still say wasn't Luke's fault). Hearing those words were music to my ears. For far too long, not enough people have been willing to stand up for Luke. He's there for everyone all of the time, way more than anyone else, but they aren't there enough for him. I can't understand how people couldn't see how badly Luke was being treated. They did nothing but encourage an emotionally abusive relationship. But here is someone FINALLY calling Noah out and saying the way he was treating Luke wasn't okay. (And it wasn't just because he was trying to get with Luke. He had expressed his feelings about this earlier with Katie before he was even willing to admit he liked him)

You have no idea how much I wound up shipping Luke and Reid. Reid helped Luke figure out how he should let himself be treated. Not only was Reid willing to stick up for Luke, but he also taught Luke how to stick up for himself. Even when they would fight, it wasn't so one-sided. Luke felt free to express what he really thought and didn't just give up and apologize. It was so refreshing. Then, Luke was great for Reid too. He got him to open up and actually allow himself a personal life. They helped each other to grow and evolve.

Then... what happened, happened. Chris was a complete moron and refused to tell people he was sick, and of course, Reid was pulled into it. Not only did it cause some trouble with his relationship with Luke (yeah, it didn't last long, but given the limited amount of time they had left, it still pissed me off) he wound up dying for someone who didn't deserve it. Yeah, he mainly did it for Katie, but why is it that he has to sacrifice himself so a straight couple could go on? What really makes me sick is the shot of him looking at all the straight couples around the hospital worried about Chris, and that's what makes him decide he needed to run off and get that heart from Bay City, no matter the cost.

The writers made it seem like they needed to prove that he was a good guy. What the heck good does that do when the character is dead by the end of it? They didn't need to prove that he was good. The only people's opinions he cared about already knew that. Then they tried to make it seem like we should be happy that Luke and Reid got such a big storyline in the end. Once again I say, he died. You left all three of your gay characters dead, grieving, or alone. Nearly everyone else got a happy ending, but they didn't. What I hate the most is Luke, who used to nearly drink himself to death because he was so lonely, was denied an ending with the man who loved him fully. He was never allowed to be happy.

So, after that, I had a really hard time. Seeing a character I connected with so much have an ending like that, it was enough to make me feel like I didn't deserve to feel happy either. I know I shouldn't let a tv show dictate how I should feel about myself, but when we are constantly thrown away for a "conventional" relationship, it shows that we aren't really valued by the general population. How are we supposed to cope with that?

Comment

• witchboy
                          witchboy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for sharing all that. I was already long out when Luke came out. For me it was Billy coming out on One Life to Live in the early 90s, I know how important it was for me then. And years later, it was still life affirming to see other gay characters like Luke, Noah and Reid. I've been a soap fan since practically birth as I grew up watching them, they're the most personal show. The structure of it can be so intimate.
                          And now there are no gay male regular characters on soaps as Will and Sonny were just fired from Days - the only characters fired after the Corona virus break, which feels really homophobic and dealing with that brings up how I felt about what ATWT did with their gays. Lucas on GH is still recurring but a month or more can go by without him appearing, who knows if he'll even appear again now that his role in the baby switch drama is over.
                          Some small part of me still hopes, ridiculously, that we haven't heard the last from Luke and ATWT, with an online revival or something.

Originally posted by GuidingLite View Post
                        Luke may have been grieving at the end of the show with Reid's death, but they did have him connect with Noah briefly and leave their 'ending' open....whether or not they reunited eventually we'll never know.
                        I found it very telling that when they killed off Reid, they still didn't reunite Luke and Noah. Not that I necessarily wanted them to pair them back up again, but it really seemed like the show went out of their way to make sure Luke wasn't romantically involved with anyone when the show ended, while virtually every other straight character was matched with somebody.

Comment

• witchboy
                          witchboy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, if they had had some kind of reunion for Nuke at the end it would've softened the blow somewhat of Reid's death. At least our last look at Luke would've been so sad and bleak. All these years later and I'm still not over that.

• Signals3
                          Signals3 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They can't just shove Luke and Noah back together a week later. That's why they just laid the foundations of their reunion in their last episode together.
                          They got back together.....they can't not.
                          Even Goutman said so. Even writer Susan Dansby thought so, she had a writing thing right after the show left air to write a "Nuke Epilogue" to come up with their reunion.
                          The only people who don't want Luke and Noah together again are bitter Reid fans cause he got splatted by that Cleo train.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X