• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SamandWillowFan
    Senior Board Member
    • Dec 2018

Luke and Reid were Wonderful Together

I never watched much of As the World Turns, but I stumbled upon clips of Luke and Reid and watched their entire story. They had such great chemistry and the actor who played Reid was fantastic, and I wish he had gone to another soap. Why did the writers give them such a horrible ending with the death of Reid?
  • ILoveBizzie
    I Let My Evil Twin Post For Me
    • Aug 2009

I agree, I loved Luke and Reid! I was so disappointed that they killed Reid off! Stupid move.

Comment

• Emerald Empress
      Day Player
      • Nov 2018

I also love watching the clips since I was in elementary school when it aired. As a 20 year old man, I prefer older men only. Luke and Reid are much close in age to my last relationship, but I appreciate how bold they were to show this on daytime tv.

Comment

• reidstheman
        Board Regular
        • Jun 2012

Luke and Reid had the best love story and the best acting I have ever seen on a soap. Gender was not relevant just two people in love. Too bad the best soap got canceled and the likes of The Bold and Beautiful still on the air.

Comment

• YRFANATIC
          YRFANATIC commented
          Editing a comment
          It's that Les Moonves person the guy with a laundry list of sexual harassment at CBS is to blame for the both cancellations of ATWT and GL, what goes around comes around, he cancelled the soaps, therefore, he got the ax too!
      • YRFANATIC
        Senior Board Member
        • Mar 2005

I agree, I rather see Luke with Reid than Noah. Luke and Reid had better chemistry because they were total opposites, Noah on the other hand was wishy washy, some days he's all into Luke and then wants to break up the next. Too bad they didn't end with a happy ending or had their own spin off, but oh well it is what it is.

Comment

• CherryPoppins
          Under-Five
          • Jun 2018

Luke kept me glued to ATWT. I loved him in everything from the start of his story to the final episode. I just loved how into the kisses the actors were. It seems like soaps have taken a step back from showing the affection they did in the mid/late 00's. Maybe I'm just remembering it different with the passing of time.

Comment

• SamandWillowFan
            SamandWillowFan commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I agree that they had very passionate kisses, which was very impressive considering I'm pretty sure the actor who played Reid was straight in real-life.

• CherryPoppins
            CherryPoppins commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I believe so. I appreciate when straight actors really go for it in the gay story lines like the recast Will (GW) did on Days. I love CM's Will, but he seems less intense in the intimacy.

Anyway, my big regret of ATWT was that Luke and Reid started so late. I guess I just wasn't a fan of Noah from the get go. I had a fantasy ship of Casey/Luke for the longest time. lol

• SamandWillowFan
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, Noah was really irritating in the clips I saw during his blind storyline that brought Reid on.
        • sunter
          Board Regular
          • Dec 2004

I love Reid and Luke as well. They were perfect for each other. I was so upset that they didn't get their happy ending. Chris didn't deserve to have Reid's heart. The actors who played Chris and Katie had zero chemistry together. The writers went the safe and predictable route giving the straight non deserving couple their happy ending.

Comment

• TeamLuRe
            Soap Addict
            • Jul 2010

Reid's death ruined the ending of the show for me. I've heard many people say that they loved the end of ATWT, but I am not one of them. Leaving Luke bereft at the end was a crime.

I think the Luke/Reid and Luke/Noah fandoms are the only ones still going.......there is still fan fiction being written by fans who didn't get a happy ending for their couple on the show, so they write their own!

Comment

• CherryPoppins
              CherryPoppins commented
              Editing a comment
              That's awesome, I need to search now.
          • chandon1
            Contract Poster
            • Aug 2019

OP, Yes they WERE!

Their story truly was a love story!

The diff. bt. the 2 couples of Luke/Reid & Luke/Noah was the "way" the 2 actors that played Noah & Reid "sold' the relationships on screen!

I could be wrong but I believe I read somewhere where BOTH of the actors who played Reid & Noah were straight!

IMO, the younger actor didn't "sell" his relationship w/Luke & it came off as awkward!

The thing w/Noah seemed shallow & superficial & only based on looks & youth!

But, NOT so w/the thing w/Reid which started off a lil hostile because of the sexual tension!

I really enjoyed getting to "know" this couple in a soapy sense!

Loved how their relation grew & had lots of push/pull!

I hated what show did 2 THEM!

It's like everyone but the gay kid got their happily ever after!

IDK, I kinda felt like show was still a lil mad at all the backlash they got over HOW they treated the actress who played Lily & so then then messed over her soapy kid!

Comment

• witchboy
              witchboy commented
              Editing a comment
              I would think it would've made more sense to mess over Lily and Holden if they wanted to stick it to Martha Byrne, and while their ending was a little weak, at least they were growing back to each other - and were both alive!
              I really think they just didn't value the happiness of their gay characters. The tragic gay is an ugly trope that they just fell back on. probably with no intentional malice. I will always be bitter at how the gays were treated at the end on ATWT.
              I have read that the actors playing Reid and Noah are straight, while Van Hansis is gay.

• chandon1
              chandon1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I don't know if U consider what happened 2 poor lil Justin from QAF when he was gay bashed by that terrible jock( Chris Hobbs) as a tragic gay s/l or not but @ least Justin LIVED & we got 2 see his struggles & overcoming his bashing.

I really wish MORE straight people could have seen that s/l because it was very well done & I felt so sorry 4 BOTH Justin & Brian!
              GH did a very good job with those scenes U could feel his agony & anger @ CH's so well in those scenes.
              And Brian in the hospital in his tux staring off into space with the white scarf around his neck with Justin's blood on it just made me ball my eyes out.

Show did a great job..

I was heart broken as I loved Justin I had a couple of gay/lesbian friends in college who lived 2gether & shared an apt.

He was my running buddy & I took him 2 his FIRST straight bar had a blast we ran around checking out all the cute guys 2gether.

His female roommate was gay bashed...jumped by a couple of jocks & beat up after she was playing in a girls football intermuaral team & they didn't "like" it or were threatened or some such nonsense.

This was back in 1978 & neither the campus police or the city police would even attempt 2 investigate because of the men assaulting her were student athletes....of course they didn't come right OUT & say that but U just "knew"!

I dated a couple of athletes on campus & had they tell me that they had people take their tests for them & the school covered for them.

This was especially prevalent pertaining 2 the basketball team.
          • Signals3
            Lurking in the Shadows
            • May 2021

I like Reid....with ANYONE but Luke. There was NO chemistry. Heck even Erik Stevens wanted Luke and Noah back together.

Comment

• SamandWillowFan
              Editing a comment
              Can’t agree with that. I thought the Noah actor always looked uncomfortable in romantic scenes.
          • JSF777
            Lurking in the Shadows
            • Mar 2020

I never liked the story of luke and reid. I thought the writers didn't have too much imagination when it came to writing the gay characters. The story of luke and noah was a exact copy of lily and holden, with lily being the impulsive who did something stupid and then asked holden for forgiveness, and holden being the cautios one, who took longer to forgive. It was exactly the same story.

Then they brought luke and reid and it was like seeing lily and damien together, a hot couple whose relationship was based in lust instead of love and comfort. Lily loved holden, but looked for damien when she felt lonely, and luke loved noah, but looked for reid because noah rejected him.

It's true that the whole luke/reid story happened because Jake refused to sign a contract, but still, i think they could have done a better job with his character and the story they were telling. It could have been more interesting if a real triangle happened instead of removing noah out of the picture. Also, it was pretty clear the writers didn't know what to do with luke/reid story either. The couple had a hot begining, a lust story, their kisses when their relationship was a secret were good. I remember the couple having hot kisses behind noah and dr, bobs backs, but once everyone knew about it, the flame died out. Their kisses became chasted, luke and reid never had sex, and they never did what normal couples do, they were more co-workers than a couple. It became boring as hell, and i'm not surprised, the same thing happened with luke and noah. I remember their kisses at the begining of their story with noah wanted to have sex with luke, and then puff! nothing. Glorified roommates as luke said. True, producers and P&G are to blame, but still, they could have done so much more with those couples.

Comment

• witchboy
              witchboy commented
              Editing a comment
              It was very very poor and biased storytelling that Luke and Reid were never allowed to have sex. The writers really resisted showing gay men as sexual beings.

• SamandWillowFan
              Editing a comment
              Luke and Reid never having sex was ridiculous, and Reid got killed so a straight man could have his heart.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
          Working...
          X