Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Carl a child predator

Considering his history with Lorna he was. Jmo

Oh yeah I'm pretty sure yes. But I don't think the early 90s writers intended to portray him that way. They explicitly stated that Carl didn't pressure or pursue Lorna and that Lorna initiated the sexual relationship. Obviously it's gross and he's clearly a predator. He took her in as a young teen and raised her then had a sexual relationship with her and blackmailed her using nude photos. But the writers tried hard to backpedal and make it seem skeevy but not as awful as it clearly is.

Comment

Plus, the entire timeline with Lorna made no sense to begin with- first off, Carl was once married to Donna, I believe, or at least engaged to her, and she was close to Carl’s son Perry. Neither one of them knew of a girl named Lorna that he had raised. Then later, Carl was in a relationship with Felicia, and she never saw Lorna. The same girl, btw, she had given up for adoption LOL talk about coincidence. Then after he and Felicia broke up and he tried to kill Mac and Rachel, he was sent to prison, where he remained until he escaped and was thought to be killed. So basically AW was rewriting history so much when Carl returned, I just kind of gloss over those things that didn’t make sense, and Lorna was one of those things.

Comment

• witchboy
        witchboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Carl and Donna were married for years.
        I figure that Carl was keeping Lorna in a different home secretly during those years.

Thanks those are excellent points that will make it easier to ignore that rewrite.

Comment

So Carl raised Felicia’s bio daughter Lorna? I don’t remember that at all. How did he end up with her? I loved Lorna.

Comment

Originally posted by savytabby View Post
          So Carl raised Felicia’s bio daughter Lorna? I don’t remember that at all. How did he end up with her? I loved Lorna.
          When Carl first returned from the dead in 1991 during the story with Kathleen and Signet and Grant, it was revealed that both Carl and Kathleen had been in the witness protection program while everyone thought they were dead. Lorna came to Bay City as Carl’s assistant, who was supposed to cause trouble for Dean, Matt, Jenna, Jake, etc. Only later (and with a change of writers) did it come out that Lorna had been “raised” by Carl, and even later it was finally revealed she was Felicia and Luca’s long lost daughter. Lorna had to have been at least 21 when she arrived in Bay City, which is why the timeline of being raised by Carl makes 0 sense. I just prefer to think that he mentored her while she was raised by someone else. That would make their whole relationship a lot less creepy.

The show was trying to suggest that Carl raised Lorna to be a weapon to use against Felicia, because he knew she was Felicia’s long lost daughter she gave up at birth for adoption. The problem is, Carl didn’t know Felicia (original name Fanny) then, plus she was dirt poor and had nothing that Carl would have been interested in. It was only after Fanny became Felicia Gallant, international best selling author, that Carl had any use for Felicia. So this idea that while he was married and had a son Perry, he was not only sleeping with Justine and fathering her child Ryan, he was also raising Lorna on the side, and then terrorizing Bay City shortly after, followed by his stint in prison and then presumed death, there’s just no way to believe he raised Lorna, even for a brief period of time. I can put aside my belief a lot, but sometimes it’s just easier to say the writers messed up and leave it at that LOL!

Comment

Oh wow, I did not know all that. I saw when Kathleen came back from the dead, but other than the Kathleen/Cass/Frankie triangle I didn’t follow the story.

knotsfan thank you for the background.

Comment

I completely forgot all of that . Not his marriage to Donna but that he had Lorna .

I agree they may not have viewed it the way we would now. Fiction is full of such relationships set in an era that didn’t see it as predatory or grooming . In previous centuries a marriage to a much younger woman was considered acceptable as if perverts and predators didn’t exist back then. Of course they did.

Carl however was meant to be basically a creep it was only later they wanted for Rachel and started to give him something of a character makeover. It may have even started before that. It’s been so long!

Comment

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
              Working...
              X