Collapse

Ad Below Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to Victoria Wyndham?

I was thinking about her the other day and looked around and it seems she has done exactly one episode of Law and Order: SVU since AW went off the air. What's that about? Anyone have any Victoria Wyndham stories to share?

Victoria continues her amazing artistry! You’ll remember on the show she was a sculptor and painter. She continued this after the show. I own a gorgeous painting she created called Solon’s Warning. She is sooo talented. Google her and you’ll see for yourself. I wish I wish I wish to see her on the screen again. She is daytime’s most talented actor ever, in my view.

Comment

• RoidRage
      RoidRage commented
      Editing a comment
      One of her sculptures is in the Smithsonian!

I really like some of the sculpture she did on the show, it inspired me to take some ceramics courses.

She was really underrated as an actor. The scenes between she and Beverley McKinsee as Iris, wow. AW was such a good show.

Comment

I stumbled across this great article on her life since Another World. NBC seems like a bad place for soaps to exist. https://en.m.wikinews.org/wiki/Victo...d_another_life

Comment

She really is a renaissance woman kind of a modern day Jackson Pollack making art in her studio and on the screen.

Comment

Thanks for the link, RoidRage. I was a big fan of Another World, so honestly, I was a bit out off with some of her answers in the interview. There was a lot of bitterness present. I remember SOD did a big article on the stars of AW one year after the show was canceled, and the article said Victoria Wyndham declined to participate. When she said people from the show don't really keep in contact, that's definitely not the case. The actors who played Felicia, Cass, Josie, Frankie, Donna, and several others have get togethers quite often, and post their photos on social media, even all these years later. I remember in the mid 1980s, she complained that newer characters like the Love family was taking the emphasis away from the Cory family and was responsible for the poor ratings, but as we all know, those poor ratings started in 1978, well before the Love family came on, and they never achieved those high ratings again.

As far as the Justine story, there were several factors as to why it was such a bomb, but one big reason was her portrayal of Justine. Simply dreadful and so over the top, it was impossible to take it seriously. But I guess I shouldn't have expected the actress to acknowledge she might also to be to blame for that storyline fiasco.

Comment

• RoidRage
            RoidRage commented
            Editing a comment
            Hehe haha about Justine! Her affect and accent reminded me of the much panned portrayal of Alexander’s mother by Angelina Jolie. She basically made up an accent that had no geographical meaning. That was Justine! And Mark Pinter with her was pretty unwatchable. I remember he was ridiculed when he tracked her down in Canada and called some travel agent and said get me on the next plane to Manitoba, Canada! We Canadians hade some laughs about that too.

Another World was my first Soap that my Grandmother got me into, when she stayed with us in Canada from Jamaica. So VW is a major part of my childhood. Everytime I see I am instantly a 7/8 yr old again.

Comment

Was Victoria Wyndham's Rachel the Erica Kane of Another World? Was she the face of the show? I often wondered why she wasn't nominated more and never won a daytime emmy. There were some great years, and some awful ones as well towards the end especially, but I always thought of Victoria Wyndham as the top tier of talent that should have been honored more. I'm glad Linda Dano acknowledged VW in her acceptance speech in the 90s when she won Lead Actress.

Comment

Originally posted by Humira View Post
              Was Victoria Wyndham's Rachel the Erica Kane of Another World? Was she the face of the show? I often wondered why she wasn't nominated more and never won a daytime emmy.
              She became the face of the show in the mid 70s -- after AW ended the Steve/Alice romance by firing both actors. Victoria was a good actress, but I don't think AW's ratings weren't as good as other shows -- and they may have hurt her chances. Susan Lucci was nominated various times -- but when I saw her act -- I wondered why?!!!

Comment

• Humira
                Humira commented
                Editing a comment
                Totally understandable. I think Susan Lucci's best material was the year her on-screen mother Mona passed, I'm think 1994. There were a few submissions from earlier years that were awesome too, but the 99 one wasn't what I would have considered great in comparison to the others she was up against. But I was thrilled when she won!

There were so many years I though VW should have at least been nominated. Granted I didn't watch the show closely since I was just a kid and only saw it on holidays, but VW just has that air about her and seeing some clips from as late as the final years makes me think she should have been a nominee at the very least. Ok maybe not the Justine stuff, but come on every actor has stuff like that after being with a show for as long as she was with AW. Interesting about the firing of those actors, well before my time but it's always fascinating to learn about how things develop when central characters shift. I find AW so intriguing and kind of went down the rabbit hole of looking up awards, ratings history, etc...P&G Soaps were dominating the early years until the 80s it seems.

• RoidRage
                RoidRage commented
                Editing a comment
                If I remember correctly Rachel was in what we would now call a love triangle with Steve/Alice that ended with his death. The '70s were the height of AWs popularity, starting with Steve/Alice and ending with Iris. I was only a kid and I remember calling her Irish.

Originally posted by CaptainKC View Post

She became the face of the show in the mid 70s -- after AW ended the Steve/Alice romance by firing both actors. Victoria was a good actress, but I don't think AW's ratings weren't as good as other shows -- and they may have hurt her chances. Susan Lucci was nominated various times -- but when I saw her act -- I wondered why?!!!
              2 things:

1) Another World ranked #3 out of 17 soaps in year end ratings in 1973, tied with Days for #2 in 1974, and was #2 for every year following until May of 1978. And often it was #1 for the week during those years, but As the World Turns was always #1 for the year end ratings. In 1978 General Hospital and Luke and Laura began and pretty much snuffed AW out, especially when AW expanded to the impossible 90 minute format. Victoria Wyndham WAS nominated for an Emmy for lead actress in 1977 and 1978, losing both times to other actresses who were on AW, ironically.

2) Agnes Nixon created the bible for All My Children, including the character of Erica Kane, and offered the show to Proctor&Gamble, but they passed, so she started writing Another World for them. She based the character of Rachel Davis on the Erica Kane from her story bible for AMC. When ABC, desperate for a hit, paid Nixon big bucks to leave AW and create soaps for them, she dusted off her AMC bible and ABC bought the show. So I guess you could say the character of Erica Kane was created on paper first, but brought to life as Rachel Davis on AW, and then finally brought to life on AMC.

Comment

• Humira
                Humira commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for posting this information. I'm glad VW was recognized with SOD Award. I'm glad she was nominated during AW's glory years. That story about the Agnes Nixon connection is fascinating and Rachel Davis being a precursor to Erica Kane. I do remember seeing ATWT at #1 in those ratings lists for years. Glad P&G dominated for so long.

I didnt' realize she had been nominated, but I didn't follow that stuff in the 70s. Who did win -- McKinsey? Her role had a bit more flair to it than Rachel's did in the same period. I didn't watch the show after Mac/Douglas Watson died, so can't comment on the later years. But after Rachel married Mac, her material was more grounded -- and Wyndham's portrayal was very grounded -- which could explain why she didn't get noticed as much.

Comment

• knotsfan
                knotsfan commented
                Editing a comment
                The first time she was nominated, she lost to the actress who originally played Sharlene Frame; the second time, she lost against Irene Dailey, who played Aunt Liz. Beverlee McKinsey, who played Iris, was nominated at least 3 times, including the years Wyndham was nominated, but she never won, either. I agree with you that after Rachel married Mac, the character became more grounded, so that definitely could have been a factor. Both Wyndham and McKinsey won Soap Opera Digest awards in that same period, which were voted on by the fans, so they did get some recognition.

Google Matched Content

Collapse

Bottom of Page

Collapse
            Working...
            X