Thread: thanksgiving

Blog Entries

thanksgiving

I miss ATWT at this time of year I miss the huble squash and the Snyders Y&R and B&B dont measure up to ATWT when it comes to the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving to all the former viewers I am still mourning the loss.
    You are not logged in. Please log in for reply options.

Nobody does the holidays like ATWT! Christmas and Thanksgiving in Oakdale will forever be associated with my own holidays growing up, since those were the days we were out of school and at home to watch ATWT. I feel its absence every year.

I still miss ATWT so much. The holidays were done so well on that show - such a large and talented cast. I still can't believe they cancelled that great show!!

Oh, that squash! I would have loved to have seen Luke drag Reid out to the farm for that! And Carly and Jack and all their kids. I'm so glad I have my "Christmas in Oakdale" DVD.
    And B&B and Y&R don't do it all for me. B&B is just plain stupid, and I had no use for Y&R after what they did to Maura. The only soap on that I am enjoying is DOOL, mostly because of Will and Sonny.
    ATWT had a great cast who could make something out of some often terrible writing, esp. the last few years. I really do miss them. Hope they know it!

None of the soaps really do Holidays well anymore. There are some good Thanksgiving episodes on YT and I shall be enjoying my Holiday DVD. Love watching the Hubbard Squash. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I watched the Dollhouse Christmas off of the Christmas in Oakdale DVD tonight, I just love that particular one. No, it wasn't particularly well done, and no, the s/l at the time weren't necessarily the best. But all of the actors are dressed to the nines, Scott Bryce is in it during his brief return as Craig, Colleen Zenk absolutely steals the scene she is in and Lucinda playing the part of a kitchen maid is just a hoot. And it probably was the last attempt by the show to do a full cast ensemble episode, so I treasure it just for nostalgia's sake.

One of the things that drew me into ATWT(and GL) back in my late teens was that family feel around the holidays. I do miss that.

Count me as so missing everyone in Oakdale around the holidays. Ah for one more montage of everyone as Bob speaks about it all. Such fantastic memories!

I agree that no other soap has been able to replace it even from the bad days lol!

It does seem as if something has been missing the last few years... I do miss ATWT still and it's hard not to think and speculate about what the inhabitants of Oakdale would be up to now. I've been watching old holiday episodes over the past week or so. Like WT mentioned... what I wouldn't give to hear Bob give us one of his heartfelt speeches about family, friends and remembering what's important.

Blog Entries
    yes i agree oakdale was thanksgiving and christmas,so wasnt the guiding light,to help i bought the dvd as the world turns christmas at amazon and watch them at thanksgiving time helps alittle

I miss seeing Holden with that old hacksaw in his hands getting ready to masacre the sacred "hubbard squash". I miss Emma and I miss Lucinda. I will miss Tom singing on Christmas Eve, ATWT's always put me in the holiday mood.

Thanksgiving

I don't miss the Snyder's and their Thanksgiving dinners around the table!

Quote Originally Posted by vze30vcw View Post
    I miss ATWT at this time of year I miss the huble squash and the Snyders Y&R and B&B dont measure up to ATWT when it comes to the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving to all the former viewers I am still mourning the loss.
    The Snyders ruined ATWT for me! Give me back the days when it was all about The Hughes, The Stewarts and the sheningans of Lisa !

Blog Entries
    miss them all so much. watched from the beginning. happy holidays ATWT fans.

Agreed! Happy Holidays, ATWT fans... chop off a bit of that old Hubbard squash in honor of our show

Blog Entries
    Happy Thanksgiving !!!!! I had a turkey dinner at home and am going to have it today (Monday) with my mom !!!

Yeah, at this time of the year I'm missing ATWT even more.

One of the most beautiful Thanksgivings was in 2007 when Luke and Noah had just started their relationship. Luke was paralyzed and Noah helped him to walk again and to cope with that whole difficult situation.

http://thebacklot.mtvnimages.com/upl...pg?quality=0.7

By Christmas, Luke had fully recovered and he and Noah made the whole family the best Christmas present ever!

In 2008, the hubbard squash was very big

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0V88Ov8kRQ...3404_09380.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0V88Ov8kRQ...3404_09385.jpg

Someone should finally bring this wonderful show back instead of continuing with crappy talk shows that are drawing much lower ratings, especially in the key demos. ABC's General Hospital is now so much ahead of CBS in the former ATWT time slot.
    Last edited by IpanemaSurfer; 10-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmont View Post
    Agreed! Happy Holidays, ATWT fans... chop off a bit of that old Hubbard squash in honor of our show

I wish someone would have given that squash to the barnyard animals instead!

Quote Originally Posted by franchop View Post
    Oh, that squash! I would have loved to have seen Luke drag Reid out to the farm for that! And Carly and Jack and all their kids.
    Oh that would've been fun to watch.

Blog Entries

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow ATWT'ers!

I was thinking about the Hubbard Squash this year, I even thought of getting one and had actually looked up recipes on how to fix them in honor of Emma.

I didn't end up getting one but thinking about it made me miss the Thanksgiving holiday in Oakdale so badly.

In my mind, Meg is all better and is home sitting at the table with Eliza on her lap this year while Emma tries to wrangle one of her kids to fix up the HS!

CarJacks new baby is dressed in a turkey costume eating from a bowl of whipped cream looking all kinds of adorable while her parents look on with love.

Happy Thanksgiving evryone, I hope your day was filled with much love and good food! Miss you all!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, newattitude!!! Soooo miss my show and everyone from this board. Hope everyone is safe and full!!

Happy (belated)Thanksgiving everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful day!

I think Thanksgiving is the time of the year that it hits me the hardest that our show is over. I love your scene New Attitude. I do the same thing wondering who will cut the squash and where they are all at. I don't think I will ever stop missing our show Happy Thanksgiving and happy holidays all!!

Count me in a missing our show. The holidays are the worst. B&B and Y&R don't come close any time of the year. I catch an episode every few months. I follow along through the board. When ATWT went soaps died for me. It is so sad that they have forgotten what made the greats so great.

The Holidays are the worst for me too. The Current Soaps just do not have the same warmth at the Holidays now. YR is beyond Depressing. YT and Soap Classics help a little.

" Join us again Monday as As the World Turns expands to one full hour" . Words spoken by the late Dan Mc Cullough , the announcer for ATWT back 38 years ago in 1975, the day after Thanksgiving in 1975 was the last half hour episode of ATWT. That same day, The Edge of Night aired its last CBS episode and moved to ABC the following Monday to accomodate the 1 hr. expansion of ATWT . I miss ATWT.Their holiday episodes were much more traditional than the soaps now.
    Last edited by TommyP; 11-30-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Well, I came on over here tonight and saw where I had posted something last Thanksgiving. I am STILL missing ATWT even after all this time. Oh, how I wish that soap was still on. I am trying to watch B & B but it pales in comparison to ATWT. I miss the ATWT board too.

I loved the holiday shows. Christmas especially; every character was included somewhere, and they always finished with some wonderful scenes at the various homes, or the whole cast singing or something. Everyone seemed to be dressed up, the decorations were beautiful, the atmosphere was warm inside and snowy outside. What's fascinating is to go to YT and watch the closing scenes of several Christmas episodes in a row, to see what changes had occurred during each year -- and what changes had not. Couples still together, couples not together, new children, children growing, people not speaking to each other or people reconciled with each other, new characters who had joined the show, characters who had died (sometimes because the actor or actress had died) or been written off, characters who had returned from an absence or from the dead, characters who had been recast; Oakdale in a microcosm!
    Last edited by WillMissOakdale; 12-02-2013 at 10:27 PM.

I just looked at the Christmas episode from 1995 and one of the children is wearing the same sweater one of my children wore in a Christmas picture. Probably made by Good Lad of Philadelphia!

If you look at the closing for Christmas 1987 on YT, you'll see how enormous the cast was in those days. And all of them had active storylines.