Thread: Soap Classics DVDs (Limited Stock)

Blog Entries

Unhappy Soap Classics DVDs (Limited Stock)

I just got an email from them. Apparently, they are losing the rights to both ATWT and GL. Because of this, once whatever DVD sets they have in stock are gone, they are gone forever. I have no idea why they are losing the rights, but that's what they said. So, if you have been wanting any of their DVDs, get them now before they are gone.
    You are not logged in. Please log in for reply options.

I haven't gotten that email as of yet. Does anyone know the reason they are losing the rights to ATWT & GL? Does that mean they also lost the rights to stream both soaps online?

I'm assuming it's just for the DVD rights. They released a statement earlier in the year that they were planning to stream many eps from the P&G archives. They are already doing this for some later-year ATWT eps.

The DVDs are nice, but it's the streaming I was looking forward to. I really hope that happens someday soon!!

I'd rather have the DVDs myself. At least then I can watch them any time I want.

This is a terrible shame, but kudos to those great people for what they've already given us!

I just checked, and found that all but the "Phillip Spaulding" and "Trial of Jennifer Richards" titles are already out of stock. The only set I didn't have was the Jennifer Richards one. Thought at first I wouldn't order it (not interested in stories from as far back as 1981--though I was watching then!). But a half-hour later, I did go back and order it. Don't want to have regrets later.

I'm more interested in DVDs than live streaming. I'm sad that they won't be offering more parts of the show.

Still hoping they'll get the rights to One Life to Live at some point...

Noooo! I was really looking forward to them putting out a Guiding Light Christmas DVD set. I hope this doesn't mean that streaming isn't going to happen. It would be so nice to be able to watch Guiding Light every day after work.

OMG, No. I just bought the Jennifer Richards DVD and was planning to buy the remaining ones as a Christmas present to myself. Damn! That just sucks.

You might try Amazon to see if any of the dvds are still available there.
    Terrible news, I got all the dvds they put out and was hoping they'd continue with regular releases.

I bought all of the GL DVDs except the farewell one. I still have those episodes recorded on my TiVo!

They are all listed as "Currently Unavailable" on Amazon. So unless they release more, I am SOL.

I checked and Ebay has the Jennifer Richards trial, as well as the ATWT James Stenbeck dvds and the ATWT Christmas dvds.

I just ordered the Jennifer Richards/ Kim & Bob's Wedding/ James Stenbeck sets last week, and they arrived this week. Two of them are out of stock already?? Hard to believe. Maybe as the contract expires, Soap Classics just cannot legally sell the sets anymore?

I was hoping for a GL Roger Thorpe DVD set in the worst way. Crap.

^^ Agreed. I would have loved a Roger Thorpe set as well. And I would have loved DVDs of Another World as well. I just emailed the company and received a message that SoapClassics will not only discontinue the DVDs but there will be no future online streaming of episodes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by soapbaby View Post
    ^^ Agreed. I would have loved a Roger Thorpe set as well. And I would have loved DVDs of Another World as well. I just emailed the company and received a message that SoapClassics will not only discontinue the DVDs but there will be no future online streaming of episodes as well.
    Do you know if P&G is behind this? Does P&G have plans to stream the soaps themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by tabithalenox View Post
    Do you know if P&G is behind this? Does P&G have plans to stream the soaps themselves?
    That would be great. I was really looking forward to streaming. Why not have Proctor and Gamble make money off of what they own?

Quote Originally Posted by soapbaby View Post
    Ouch. We were so close to having it, only to have it snatched away at the last minute. This really sucks. Hopefully there is something else in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by tabithalenox View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. This just reeks of the kind of snark that P&G excels at. They gave Soap Classics a year to release a few box sets, and once P&G saw that, yes, these old episodes DO still have some money-making potential, they pulled the rights from Soap Classics so that P&G could be the only company that could benefit. I hate to be so cynical, but P&G has a history of treating its soap fans badly.

It's a shame, because it seemed that, for the nice folks at Soap Classics, this was a labor of love, and they were very responsive to fans' requests (like me requesting the Jennifer Richards episodes here for the past year, lol). Whatever P&G chooses to do with these episodes in the future, you can bet that they will not operate with the same TLC that Soap Classics did.

Thank you, Soap Classics, for all of your hard work!
    Last edited by BauerBoy; 11-15-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Royalties have to be paid to the actors, the music, and probably a few other things, too. Soap Classics may have had a limited time contract with P&G, or P&G pulled the plug because it was not making enough money to justify the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownEyedWoman View Post
    That would be great. I was really looking forward to streaming. Why not have Proctor and Gamble make money off of what they own?

Blog Entries
    Soap Classics ‏@SoapClassics
    @Guiding_Light Yes we had to step selling them due to some issues with a legal agreement. I was on the Guiding Light fan twitter page and found this soap classics response.
    Last edited by David Jones; 11-16-2012 at 01:19 PM.

I'm very disappointed with Proctor and Gamble. If they deliberately pulled this away from Soapclassics, then they should have a plan to market the material themselves soon. We want to see these shows and we will pay for it. What happened to the free market mentality of the US? I was actually thinking of starting to buy some of P and G's products again once streaming was going to start, but hell will freeze over before that happens.

I really wish that they had given fans more notice. I didn't find out about this until this week and now it is too late. I had wanted to get the GL Jennifer Richards set and the ATWT James Stenbeck set. :-(

Did y'all get the Thanksgiving message from SoapClassics? It read:

"We'd like to wish a happy Thanksgiving to all of our loyal customers who supported us during this past year. We loved bringing you classic episodes from ATWT and Guiding Light; and we loved how much you appreciated them.

We hope to be able to share some exciting news with you in the near future. Until then, please accept our best wishes for a great holiday season!

Sincerely,

Your Friends at SoapClassics
    "

I wonder what the "exciting news" is? Maybe there's a chance that P&G will renew its contract with them so that they can continue releasing box sets? We can only hope.

Thanks for posting that Bauerboy. I really should read my e-mail more often. I hope the exciting news is that streaming will be starting!!!! I also hope they start at a good time period which would definitely not be anywhere near the last five or so years of the show.

It was nice while it lasted and I loved the last 5 years of the show. I loved the show from the first time I watched it and would watch the entire thing all over again.

Blog Entries
    The last five years of the show stunk to high heaven. I can describe those years in two letters -- P-U.

I still watched because it wasy "my show," but GL certainly went out with a whimper.

Oh Shoo the show was mostly wonderful and went out with a bang. Sure, there where some stories and characters that stunk, but all shows have that ! I watched the show for over 32 years and I would watch the whole thing all over again.

Blog Entries
    Suds, You must be thinking of AMC. They went out with a bang with the big Who Did JR Shoot? cliffhanger.

I also loved GL and would watch it again in a heartbeat no matter what the format would be. I still think that the writing, casting and general production in the last 5 years were of a lesser quality than the show had been up to that time. I don't understand why they couldn't find better new actors than they did. The Foley bothers and new Cassie weren't up to the standard that we had been used to. I think we were spoiled by Betty Rea's casting all those years.