View Poll Results: What Was ATWT's Most Angst-Ridden Couple?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steve Andropolous and Betsy Stewart

5 12.50%
  • Lily Walsh and Holden Snyder

12 30.00%
  • Jack Snyder and Carly Tenney

19 47.50%
  • Tom Hughes and Margo Montgomery

0 0%
  • Craig Montgomery and Sierra Esteban

4 10.00%

Thread: ATWT's Most Angst-Ridden Couple

ATWT's Most Angst-Ridden Couple

Part of the appeal of romantic couples is their journey to become a couple. If it comes too easy, why care? Which Oakdale duos had the most roadblocks stopping them from getting together? Remember, this isn't just your favorite couple, it's the one that had the hardest time, that faced the toughest obstacles to happiness.
    You are not logged in. Please log in for reply options.

I was torn between Lily and Holden or Carly and Jack. Someone can fact check it for me but didn't Tom and Margo have one of the longest marriages in Soapdom?

For me it was a real tossup between Lily and Holden and Carly and Jack. My vote finally went to Carly and Jack. Yes they are my favorite but that isn't the reason. In the last years the writers just kept Carly and Jack apart for so long, something they didn't do to Lily and Holden. Also they had Jack marry both Katie and Janet, something they never had Holden do. At least when Damian married Lily, he was actually her former husband so there was some connection. So I gave a slight edge to Carly and Jack. Both saw more angst than was necessary.

I too believe Tom and Margo had one of the longest marriages on a soap.

No doubt, Carly and Jack. They were never happy for long and always pulled apart due to circumstances, despite the fact that they wanted to be together.

It's Lily and Holden for me. How long did it take them to get married? And Lily constantly bouncing back and forth between Holden and Damian (and throw Simon in there, for a little while). I thought one of the few things done well during the wind down of the show was not to put them back together, it wouldn't have been true to their history.

I said Lily and Holden. It was a toss up between them and Jack and Carly, but Lily and Holden have a longer history, so that was my only reasoning.

Blog Entries
    Its a toss up between Craig and Sierra and CarJack. I have to think on this more before I can pick just one of them lol.

Ok, I'm going to pick Craig and Sierra. Yes, CarJack had a lot of roadblocks but a lot of them were of their own doing (mostly on Carlys end lol) but Craig and Sierra truly faced a lot of angst and roadblocks back in the day. between Montega stuff and Tonio, IMO they win the toss up for me.
    Last edited by newattitude; 10-31-2012 at 02:55 PM.

For me, it was definitely Steve and Betsy. Their "roadblocks to happiness" WAS basically the entire plot of the show for a solid two years. Everything stood in their way: fate, Craig, miscommunication, Craig, pregnancy, Craig, David McCallum's character, Craig, Diana McColl, interfering family members, and oh yes, Craig.

Blog Entries
    yes, thats another good one scrapple and they could tie with me for Craig and Sierra. The roadblocks were so much more different back then weren't they?

It is a toss up between Steve and Betsy and Craig and Sierra.

Tough choice between Betsy & Steve and Lily & Holden, but I voted for Lily & Holden ... their angst lives on after the show is over ... angst was more than a plot ... angst defined them as a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldini View Post
    It's Lily and Holden for me. How long did it take them to get married? And Lily constantly bouncing back and forth between Holden and Damian (and throw Simon in there, for a little while). I thought one of the few things done well during the wind down of the show was not to put them back together, it wouldn't have been true to their history.
    I liked that too. But I was hoping they would still get back together

Sigh. I miss Holden and Lily (MB). And Lucinda. And John with Lucinda. Although I feel like the writers often went too far with the Holden and Lily angst, in ways that damaged their characters.

I miss Tom too. And Margo with Tom. Although I'd like to forget the ugly, unrealistic side of the Hughes family that was inexplicably written in the inexplicable plotline of the heart transplant. The one bright side was that it brought John back to Oakdale, but still ... how pathetic that this awful, badly written plot was one of the capstones of the show's long run. And yes, unless someone on a current soap has outlasted them simply because the show has continued while ATWT didn't, Tom and Margo were the longest continuously-married couple on soaps.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMissOakdale View Post
    Sigh. I miss Holden and Lily (MB). And Lucinda. And John with Lucinda. Although I feel like the writers often went too far with the Holden and Lily angst, in ways that damaged their characters.

I miss Tom too. And Margo with Tom. Although I'd like to forget the ugly, unrealistic side of the Hughes family that was inexplicably written in the inexplicable plotline of the heart transplant. The one bright side was that it brought John back to Oakdale, but still ... how pathetic that this awful, badly written plot was one of the capstones of the show's long run. And yes, unless someone on a current soap has outlasted them simply because the show has continued while ATWT didn't, Tom and Margo were the longest continuously-married couple on soaps.
    Sorry to stray off the poll subject for a minute, but this is precisely why Tom/Margo were my favorites. They certainly had their share of angst over the years, yet remained married the entire time and defied the soap cliche of married/divorced/reconnect/remarry/cheat/divorce/remarry. And talk about angst, and if you can find it (which I never have), watch the rooftop scene when Margo confronts Tom about Emily being pregnant . . the anguished look in both their eyes ..

That is something I miss on Soaps now. Instead of working through their problems they just divorce. Or if they are happy TIIC will kill off one of them. Tom and Margo were one of my favorites in all their incarnations.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldini View Post
    And talk about angst, and if you can find it (which I never have), watch the rooftop scene when Margo confronts Tom about Emily being pregnant . . the anguished look in both their eyes ..
    Or, in an earlier incarnation of Tom and Margo, the scene I would love to see again is the one where, with the loss of their baby tearing them apart emotionally, Tom is leaving for a several-months job in DC. After he closes the door, they each stand on their side of it longing to open it and embrace each other, but neither did and you could just feel the anguish through the TV screen. (This was preparation for Gregg Marx leaving and Scott Holmes replacing him, with Hilary Bailey Smith as Margo.)

Or the scene (which is on YouKnowWhere) of Tom finding Margo in Greece just as she was giving birth to Adam, and she had to tell him that he was Hal's baby, not Tom's. If you haven't seen it, go find it! It's just devastating.

Yet they lasted through it all.

I haven't been on these boards in forever, and now I miss the show all over again.

Anyways, I'd have to say Jack and Carly. They went through so much, I can't even remember the half of it.

Oh how I miss them.. and everyone involved.

SSpringfielder it was a tough choice. I liked Vetsy and Steve. But bythe same token I liked Scott Bryce's portrayal of Criagand Finn Carters's portrayal of Sierra. Another factor was Criagand SIerra
    s song love song Suddenly It was pretty to listen to Suddenly.

Like many previous comments, I had to decide between Lily & Holden or Carly & Jack.
    In the end, for me, it's definitely Lily & Holden.

Although not mentioned in the 1970's particularly 1975 to 1977, Dan and Kim Stewart. Roadblocks were Dan's ex wife Susan and of coarse Kim's ex husband the imfamous John Dixon.

I don't think any couple has went through more angst than Jack and Carly. It seemed like writers were looking for every excuse to keep them apart.

For me it was Jack and Carly... and I'm sure it's partially because they're my favorite and I was emotionally invested, LOL! However, let's think about this... within the first 6 months they fought their attraction and finally admitted their feelings only to be torn apart and then they didn't actually become a couple until a year and a half later (all the while fighting the mutual attraction to each other despite being with and/or married to other people). Then they get together only to be torn apart within 2 months... to reconcile once again... to be torn apart again a few months after that. And this is all within the first 2 & 1/2 years, LOL! Crazy... I won't even go into the last 3 years of the show... that was insane and honestly it was cruel half the time what the writer's did. However... I'd take it all over and over again if it meant that ATWT, Oakdale and my CarJack were still on the air! I really, really still miss the show a lot!

I went with Jack and Carly. The Janet nonsense was a cruel and twisted form of torture.

Blog Entries
    I went with Jack and Carly. They had so many obstacles thrown their way and no matter what.. You knew they loved each other. Michael Park and Maura West were magic.