20 Random Facts About The Golden Doughnut Awards…
by, 12-20-2012 at 07:26 AM (1415 Views)
In September 2007 Laurisa and I were selected to become the new DAYS Two Scoop columnists. So, when the end of the year rolled around we decided to come together to celebrate our new jobs as well as all things DAYS! We started by spicing up soapcentral.com’s annual DAYS “Best Of” column and renaming it the Golden Doughnut Awards in honor of Alice Horton (and her famous, fabulous pastry).
Fast forward to 2012 and we’re now preparing for the Sixth Annual Golden Doughnut Awards! They will be announced on Monday, December 24, 2012. But since you have to wait a few more days until the 2012 winners are handed their cyber-trophies, below are some random facts and figures about the Golden Doughnut Awards to keep you entertained.
1. To date, there have been 199 individual Golden Doughnut Awards handed out.
2. Ironically, It wasn’t until the Fifth Annual Golden Doughnut Awards in 2011 that über bad guy Stefano DiMera finally won the award for “Best Villain!”
3. Deidre Hall and Galen Gering are the only two actors who have won Golden Doughnut Awards for characters other than the ones the actors are best known for. Deidre’s stint as Samantha Evans earned Marlena’s dearly departed sister a Best "Special Guest Star/Recurring Character" award in 2008. Galen’s Rafe doppelgänger, Arnold Finnegan (AKA “Fake Rafe,” “Fafe,” etc.), won the award for “Best New Character” in 2011.
4. This might not be too surprising, but Kate Roberts holds the record for the most “Best Brawl” Awards. She’s scratched, clawed, and screamed her way to three of them.
5. The character of Victor Kiriakis currently holds the record for the most Golden Doughnut Award victories! He’s won a total of seven awards – one for “Best Brawl,” one for “Best Comedic Scene Stealer,” two for “Best Lines,” One for “Best Couple” along with Maggie, and two for “Best Veteran Character.”
6. Darin Brooks’ Max Brady was the first male to win an award for “Best Dressed.” He did so in 2009 during the Third Annual Golden Doughnut Awards.
7. Actors are only eligible for five Golden Doughnut Awards. Those are “Best Recast,” “Best Babe" (DAYS' Hottest Female Eye Candy), Holy Hunk (DAYS' Hottest Male Eye Candy), and Best Actor/Actress. All other categories are dedicated solely to the characters.
8. I see dead people! Characters portrayed by Deidre Hall, Michael Sabatino, and Valerie Wildman have all won the Golden Doughnut Award for “Best Special Guest/Recurring Character," but, oddly enough, the characters they played were all deceased! Deidre portrayed Marlena’s long gone twin, Samantha Evans, Michael returned as the recently deceased Lawrence Alamain to torment Carly Manning, and Valerie’s Fay Walker haunted her loved ones while trying to reveal Fay’s killer. Spooky!
9. Of the ten characters that have won the award for “Most Likely To Return” from 2007 to 2011, five have eventually returned to DAYS! They are: John Black, Eric Brady, Jackson “Sonny” Kiriakis, Nicholas Alamain, and Jack Deveraux. Of which, Jack Deveraux is the only one that returned the following calendar year – he won in 2010 and came back in 2011!
10. Both Stephanie Johnson and Melanie Jonas have won the award for “Most Likely to Succeed” twice, but, ironically, neither of them are on DAYS any longer.
11. “Baby Parker” (Parker Kiriakis) is the youngest character to win a Golden Doughnut Award! He won “Best New Character” in 2010, just over a month and a half after he was born.
12. In 2011, Patrick Muldoon became the only actor to win “Best Recast*” for a role he originally created. He was the first Austin Reed, but the part was later recast with Austin Peck only to be turned over again to Patrick years later!
*It should be noted that Jay Kenneth Johnson has also won the award for “Best Recast” for having reassumed the part of Philip Kiriakis. Although Johnson is the most recognized Philip, he was not the original actor to portray the role.
13. Stefano DiMera is the only character to win “Best Return” two years in a row! He won in 2007 and 2008. Adrienne Johnson-Kiriakis has also won twice, but not consecutively.
14. James Scott holds the record for the most Golden Doughnut Awards won by an actor (not a character). He’s won a total of seven awards -- four for “Holy Hunk” and three for “Best Actor.”
15. There have only been two ties for the “Best Actor” and “Best Actress” awards. James Scott as E.J. DiMera and Bryan Dattilo as Lucas Roberts were both Laurisa’s picks in 2007, while Tony picked both Peggy McCay as Caroline Brady and Arianne Zucker as Nicole Walker in 2008.
16. Nicole Walker and Dr. Richard Baker are the only platonic pairing to win “Best Couple.” They did so in 2009.
17. A male hasn’t won the “Best Veteran Character” Award since Victor Kiriakis snagged the cyber-gold in 2009.
18. In 2011 Chelsea Brady became the first female to win the “Most Likely To Return” Award!
19. Although Bryan Dattilo has won a Golden Doughnut acting award, the character of Lucas Roberts has never snagged a cyber-trophy.
20. Morgan Hollingsworth was the first character ever presented with a Golden Doughnut Award. She won for “Best New Character” in 2007.
Bonus bit: Alice Horton has only won two Golden Doughnut Awards even though the festivities were named in her honor. She snagged “Best Veteran Character” in 2010 as well as shared a “Best Couple” cyber-statuette with the late Tom Horton that same year.