Cosmos at ConFusion and Martinis at Metro
What makes a new character work?
by, 01-22-2009 at 02:23 PM (908 Views)
This is just me blathering.
I've been pretty vocal about my distaste for Reese, Charles Pratt's newest creation on AMC, aka "Her Awesomeness".
Admittedly, I was not predisposed to like her. I have no affection for her portrayer, and the little I heard about what her story was going to be when she arrived concerned me:
1. She was going to be presented as 'the love of the beloved Bianca's life'. Which.. HUH? When did Bianca meet her? Why haven't we heard anything about her before? How does this 'love of her life' stuff tie in with what we saw of Bianca the last time she was in town? Personally, I like to SEE love stories on soaps, not just see the result - unless there's a great story coming (Let's face it - Babe was presented to Adam as a fait accompli and 'the love of JR's life', but even then you could tell JR was trying to stick it to Adam by bringing home trash and making Adam deal with it. He didn't fall in love with Babe for real until later, IMO. And Babe was no prize, since she slept with her brother-in-law her first night in town. Soapy!, if skanky!)
2. This avowed 'love of Bianca's life' and her awesome coolness was the reason Zach Slater agreed to father a child. Offscreen! Without telling Kendall! Zach! The guy who had to be persuaded by Kendall and Spike that he could even maintain step-fatherhood! The guy who turned Hannah down because it would hurt Kendall! The guy who preached 'no secrets' at Kendall for, oh, months after it turns out he was, er, romancing a cup! That's just WRONG.
So depending on how you count, she's either O-2 or already out. But I can change my mind: I didn't like the idea of Taylor much, and BE's bringing me around. I hated Amanda at first, but now she's one of my faves. So I AM 'trainable', to use that awful word of Fronsie's.
Up until now, my least-favorite new character ever was Sam on GH. They took Sam through something like seventeen backstories to try and get her accepted. She was a kick-ass salvage dealer! No, wait, she's the perfect mob mistress! No - a child of abuse! The sole support of a mentally challenged brother! Who DIED, y'all! And then HER BABY died! YOU WILL LOVE SAM!!!!
Gah. I got tired just writing that. She was like a combination floor-wax-dessert-topping.
But Reese... she may be worse. Because they're not even bothering to try. They just keep telling us: she's awesome! And understanding! And she's REBUILDING PINE VALLEY ALL BY HERSELF! And being Zach's BF! And Bianca's perfect-lover! And OMG, SHE's the awesomest awesome who ever awesomed an awesome!
Except all I've seen her do so far is fake cry and make googoo eyes at her adopted child's Uncle Baby Daddy. Who is undoubtedly easy on the eyes even when he's being a horse's ass, but still.
So... what does it take? A decent backstory? A slow introduction? Believable connections to the canvas?
Who was Pine Valley's last successful newbie? Personlly I think it was Petey.
1. He's not on all the time;
2. He seems like he could be Palmer and Opal's kid because he's conniving AND quirky;
3. His fixation on Colby may have happened instantaneously, but he's a teenager so that makes sense;
4. Did I mention he's not on all the time?
So... I ask myself - what would have made Reese palatable to me? A different actress? Actually SEEING her and Bianca fall in love?
Do you love Reese? If so, why? What would make you love her, if not?